Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How does your firm combat "sickies"?

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2007, 06:27 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How does your firm combat "sickies"?

I've just worked the whole bank holiday, but a few of my colleagues have either....

1. Been ill.
2. Obscure relative died.
3. DIY accident.

....and had to ring in sick. We have a 100 points system which if you go over you get disciplined. Its geared to stop people taking last shift "sickies" but as many people are over 1000 points its obviously not working. Then its left for us who are honest to cover for them as well as do our own work.

What does your firm do, do attendance bonuses really work?
Old 10 April 2007, 06:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was rife at the Police, they combatted it by having a back to work interview, didnt work for all, put me off as I couldnt be arsed with all the questions.
Old 10 April 2007, 06:33 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
It was rife at the Police, they combatted it by having a back to work interview, didnt work for all, put me off as I couldnt be arsed with all the questions.
We have that too,but if someone says they had flu,what can you do if they are lying?
Old 10 April 2007, 06:43 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

We don't pay sick pay, they only get ssp, that sort of keeps everyone coming in to work
Old 10 April 2007, 06:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

our firm doesnt really seem to bother,

a *mate* of mine was off for 20 odd days last year
Old 10 April 2007, 06:46 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paulr
We have that too,but if someone says they had flu,what can you do if they are lying?

Nowt really, we had some right lazy buggers there, months off with back trouble yet told us about lumping bags of rubble round, servicing the car whilst off on the sick. One lads was off sick every other week until a girl he fancied joined and he was too busy gawping at her to go off sick, so as a policy companies should emply fit men/women just for the plebs to ogle as it keeps us in work, I have not had a day off sick this year and I think its down to a cracking pair of ***** in the office, SN member Burger King may back me up on that one...

Sickies are rife in local government, I avoid this now as I am going contract next week so I dont get paid, notice how contractors come in still connected to life support, drips, half way through an op ?
Old 10 April 2007, 06:48 PM
bohnjegley
Scooby Regular

The lads who work for me,

The week starts Saturday(5hrs get paid 10hrs) miss a day during the following five without giving me a weeks notice, get paid the hours they work plus loose attendance bonus.
Funny how many of them dont join the Monday club anymore......
Old 10 April 2007, 06:53 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

We have back to work interview-waste of time ! Also,we have an attendance bonus-12 months plus bonus payment at x-mas if you manage a whole year with no sickdays. 1 day off sick and you lose 1 months bonus plus the bonus payment at the end of the year !
The last time I was ill with a stomach bug I forced myself to go to work as I didnt want to lose the bonus and they sent me home as they deemed me unfit to work
Old 10 April 2007, 06:56 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

The problem with attendance bonus, is that genuinly sick people come to work and infect the entire office/work area. Which can cause big problems.
Old 10 April 2007, 06:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
We have back to work interview-waste of time ! Also,we have an attendance bonus-12 months plus bonus payment at x-mas if you manage a whole year with no sickdays. 1 day off sick and you lose 1 months bonus plus the bonus payment at the end of the year !
The last time I was ill with a stomach bug I forced myself to go to work as I didnt want to lose the bonus and they sent me home as they deemed me unfit to work
So the monthly bonus is better than a yearly one if you dont want people coming to work ill?
Old 10 April 2007, 06:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
The problem with attendance bonus, is that genuinly sick people come to work and infect the entire office/work area. Which can cause big problems.
Any suggestions?
Old 10 April 2007, 06:58 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

simple we dont get paid for being off sick unless you are off for more than three days with a doctors note !! stops people taking the ****
Old 10 April 2007, 07:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Any suggestions?

Thats the prob, you have to trust people to use the sickness system properly, the system which is being inforced shorlty in work, flags up if you have had two sickies in 6 months, then you go on to a monitering system, which invloves BUPA checks etc etc, a real PITA, a good way of detering IMO. Also if you are genuinly sick i.e diebetic etc the checks will highlight this
Old 10 April 2007, 07:23 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I heard of one place that had a compulsary drugs test if you were off sick. It cut down sickness by 50% because people didn't want the risk of being sacked for taking drugs.
Old 10 April 2007, 07:26 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I heard of one place that had a compulsary drugs test if you were off sick. It cut down sickness by 50% because people didn't want the risk of being sacked for taking drugs.

same here mate, thats where the bupa tests come into play

My sickness level has dropped
bohnjegley
Scooby Regular

Any suggestions?

A bit back to school but what about a Doctors note?
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I dont pay them if they have sickies, ssp is enough. Unless it has been a genuine sickness & a doctors line to support it.
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bohnjegley
A bit back to school but what about a Doctors note?

so easy to get notes from the doc though.
Old 10 April 2007, 07:35 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
I dont pay them if they have sickies, ssp is enough. Unless it has been a genuine sickness & a doctors line to support it.
We dont pay either. The problem is we have a 4on 4off shift system with loads of overtime available. Take the bank holiday for example,people ring in sick if they are on over the bank holiday then do a few shifts overtime to make up for it so in effect they dont lose any pay.
Old 10 April 2007, 07:48 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

as i said in a similar thread earlier, my company pays a basic hourly wage, then a premuim for working nights which i do permananetly, then an extra £1 attendance bonus. you have one day off, you lose the weeks attendance bonus (£40) plus a days wages, or however long your off.

im on a written warning for time off in the last rolling year as...

i had two months off recovering from a serious r.t.a.

3 weeks off in novemeber for an accident in which im sueing them for liability (verbal caution for time off)

2 weeks off in feb this year for a repetitive strain injury (next level of caution being written warning)

bit **** really, but compainies can do this now apparantly as its theirt safeguard against unlucky ***** like me that keep getting injured.

andy
Old 10 April 2007, 07:59 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
as i said in a similar thread earlier, my company pays a basic hourly wage, then a premuim for working nights which i do permananetly, then an extra £1 attendance bonus. you have one day off, you lose the weeks attendance bonus (£40) plus a days wages, or however long your off.

im on a written warning for time off in the last rolling year as...

i had two months off recovering from a serious r.t.a.

3 weeks off in novemeber for an accident in which im sueing them for liability (verbal caution for time off)

2 weeks off in feb this year for a repetitive strain injury (next level of caution being written warning)

bit **** really, but compainies can do this now apparantly as its theirt safeguard against unlucky ***** like me that keep getting injured.

andy
so a > 25% absence rate and you are unhappy at getting a warning
Old 10 April 2007, 08:11 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by camk
so a > 25% absence rate and you are unhappy at getting a warning
I think his point is that for people who are genuinely ill its a bit crap. We have a guy who had 10 months off with cancer.
Old 10 April 2007, 08:13 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Thats why they sent me home when I went in with a stomach bug ! They said I was at risk of passing it on to other members of staff aswell as being unfit for work !

I made the point that they were contradicting the whole point of the attendance bonus. Its there to basically make you come to work even when you are ill,yet when you make the effort they send you home

On the other hand,I havent had a sickday in over 3 years now. Thats not due to their attendance bonus though. Im currently trying to get into the Fire service and you need and excellent sickness record or they wont even consider you.
Old 10 April 2007, 08:15 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
Thats why they sent me home when I went in with a stomach bug ! They said I was at risk of passing it on to other members of staff aswell as being unfit for work !

I made the point that they were contradicting the whole point of the attendance bonus. Its there to basically make you come to work even when you are ill,yet when you make the effort they send you home

On the other hand,I havent had a sickday in over 3 years now. Thats not due to their attendance bonus though. Im currently trying to get into the Fire service and you need and excellent sickness record or they wont even consider you.

good luck
Old 10 April 2007, 08:21 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

My firm combats it in a number of ways, usually shafting you financially..

First of all they do have back to work interviews..
Then they have an attendance bonus scheme, ie no sick in 6 months you get £150 cash bonus at the end of the 6 months, take a day off and you don't get it.
They also have a general Christmas Bonus (variable dependant on position and type of job), however if you have had more than a couple of days sick in the last 12 months, you don't get it.
Then they have the yearly appraisals, which directly impacts on your annual pay rise. It goes a bit like:
An Average appraisal = 2% pay rise
A Good appraisal = 3% pay rise
Excellent = 4%

The appraisals have a points based element in different areas concerning your job, ability, team player, attendance, timekeeping etc. Culminating in a total which decides what level of appraisal you get. If you go off sick, you obviously get less points for that category, which can have a detrimental effect on your pay rise. Even to the point, where if you have been appraised as excellent in every other category, if you have been determined as poor for attendance (11 days or more in 12 months, and that could mean just 1 instance of being sick but for example having been hit by a bus and left in a coma so you had 3 weeks off) it is impossible to get an excellent review!
Old 10 April 2007, 08:22 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

good luck
Cheers mate
Old 10 April 2007, 08:24 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I start my staff on a £200 bonus they can take 2 days sick without loosing the bonus. On the 3rd day they loose £100, 4th and 5th days the loose £50 each day and they don't get paid any sick pay appart from ssp. Seems to work quite well.

Had a girl phone me at 1:30 this morning though telling me she was going to be off sick. :Mad:
Old 10 April 2007, 08:25 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
We don't pay sick pay, they only get ssp, that sort of keeps everyone coming in to work
As well as that we sack them after a week
Old 10 April 2007, 08:26 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

The other problem with attendance bonuses, as happens at our place is that people might genuinely be sick for 24 hours or there abouts, and be able to make it in the next day, however because they're losing money they take 3 days off to "get their money's worth"
Old 10 April 2007, 08:26 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Send somebody round to their house and if they don't answer the door in their dressing gown they get their P45

Quick Reply: How does your firm combat "sickies"?