25Th anniversary of the falklands

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2007, 11:51 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 25Th anniversary of the falklands

Hats off to those people,Those who died did so defending people who were prove to be british.
Old 01 April 2007, 11:58 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ameen

also u know i woz watching it on al jazeera the lassie went tae falklands island tae interview and show what its like

man ive seen alot of pics and buildings of other countries , u have tae say, the british way of building houses, roads and communities its beautiful

falklands looks so british than latin america , looks beautiful and lol plenty of lamb and sheep kebabs yummy
Old 02 April 2007, 12:07 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

by the way how much will it cost tae go their for a holiday, anyone been and also the next world war meet in normandy, we should all try tae make it their, it looks beautiful that place
Old 02 April 2007, 12:11 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess it was like the yanks invading iraq Although we can see exactly how a filthy oppresser can destroy us
Old 02 April 2007, 12:21 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Guess it was like the yanks invading iraq Although we can see exactly how a filthy oppresser can destroy us
lol true, it seems a very nice place and also very windy, i woz suprised they had a few asians their as well lol and a population of 3000 only man the wimmin must be dying for a man, lol maybe we should travel their and marry a few coz the ladies surely must outnumber the men and lol i didnt see many corner shops their lol we can mint it mate haha. lets go i say lol
Old 02 April 2007, 06:21 AM
Buckwheat
Scooby Regular

The islands scenery is very similar to Wales or the Yorkshire Dales, like moses said, it all looks very British. Lets hope it stays that way.
Old 02 April 2007, 09:11 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moses
by the way how much will it cost tae go their for a holiday, anyone been and also the next world war meet in normandy, we should all try tae make it their, it looks beautiful that place

I've recently been and it is stunning (but very cold), if you are at all interested in birding/ wildlife then you would love it and I am sure the Islanders would make you feel very welcome.
I don't want to say how much it cost but it was part of a 23 day cruise that included Antarctica and South America and was truly the trip of a lifetime.
For anyone who doubts there is a God I would suggest a visit to Antarctica, you cannot see it and believe that the Earth and everything on it is an accident/ big bang.
Old 02 April 2007, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The sea trout fishing is second to none!

Les
Old 02 April 2007, 11:47 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

Originally Posted by Lydia72
I've recently been and it is stunning (but very cold), if you are at all interested in birding/ wildlife then you would love it and I am sure the Islanders would make you feel very welcome.
I don't want to say how much it cost but it was part of a 23 day cruise that included Antarctica and South America and was truly the trip of a lifetime.
For anyone who doubts there is a God I would suggest a visit to Antarctica, you cannot see it and believe that the Earth and everything on it is an accident/ big bang.
lydia, God bless u, that woz beautiful. u can see God in his creation, well said

and leslie lol i luv trout and fishing yahooo
Old 02 April 2007, 12:24 PM
Daveo
Scooby Regular

I've been to the Falklands 5 times since 2002 so I suppose it's different going there with work then for a holiday. In fact I only got back last sunday, having disembarked from HMS ENDURANCE.

It's a strange place - it has it's own beauty but in no way would I call it a beautiful place, if you know what i mean. Unique, definately.

To fly down return on the military charter flight from Brize Norton (currently run by XL airways) is approx £2000 so it ain't cheap. 18 hour flight as well, with a 90 min stop in Ascension.

The best way to visit the islans, imho, is as part of a cruise which would encompass South Georgia (really stunning place) and the Antarctic Peninsula (again, outstanding). Too expensive to visit just the Islands, but then I would say that cos I got paid for going!!

The war may be a distant memory to a lot of the younger people on here, but for the 1400 people based at Mount Pleasant airfield and the continuous presence of various Warships in the south atlantic it remains a continuing committment for HM Forces when they could be better deployed elsewhere - a sad and continuing fallout from the conflict and from Argentina's (still) claim to sovereignty.

Dave

Old 02 April 2007, 12:36 PM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

Its nice to see this post, I have just replied to the one about Beckett

I am proud to have been there in 82 and proud to have served my Country, I hope people never forget.

All I remember about the place is its fekin cold wet and nearly every roof in Stanley is made of Tin!

Going to the reunion so should see a few of the old boys again, I wonder if they all look as old as they did on the telly last night?
Old 02 April 2007, 01:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You might like to read the raving lefty view - and the comments afterwards, which make NSR look rather boring!

Guardian Unlimited | Comment is free | Argentina's claim on the Falklands is still a good one
Old 02 April 2007, 05:09 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

i was amazed after watching the documentary with carol thatcher how bitter the argies still are 25 years later...

im pretty sure we probably werent still that bitter at the germans in 1970 were we...?!?!

its tragic for anyone that lost family members of course but it just goes to show what a small-minded nation they are in my opinion...

i hope the commemorations do the veterans proud...
Old 02 April 2007, 05:23 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rallying1
Its nice to see this post, I have just replied to the one about Beckett

I am proud to have been there in 82 and proud to have served my Country, I hope people never forget.

All I remember about the place is its fekin cold wet and nearly every roof in Stanley is made of Tin!

Going to the reunion so should see a few of the old boys again, I wonder if they all look as old as they did on the telly last night?
Have a great time, oh, and and thanks - on behalf of me
Old 02 April 2007, 05:33 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by brihoppy
im pretty sure we probably werent still that bitter at the germans in 1970 were we...?!?!
This is a wind-up, right? Or don't you follow football/tabloids?
Old 02 April 2007, 05:45 PM
rallying1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Have a great time, oh, and and thanks - on behalf of me

Thank you, I'm sure it wil be fun, III Para re unions are always eeeermmmmmmmmmm eventfull
Old 02 April 2007, 09:22 PM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

Had the chance to meet Simon Weston, one of my ambitions was to meet him & shake his hand.

I did two years ago, moving to say the least
Old 02 April 2007, 10:20 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
1970? 2007! The b*st*rds bombed our chippy don't you know?

John.
Old 02 April 2007, 10:57 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Daveo
I've been to the Falklands 5 times since 2002 so I suppose it's different going there with work then for a holiday. In fact I only got back last sunday, having disembarked from HMS ENDURANCE.

It's a strange place - it has it's own beauty but in no way would I call it a beautiful place, if you know what i mean. Unique, definately.

To fly down return on the military charter flight from Brize Norton (currently run by XL airways) is approx £2000 so it ain't cheap. 18 hour flight as well, with a 90 min stop in Ascension.

The best way to visit the islans, imho, is as part of a cruise which would encompass South Georgia (really stunning place) and the Antarctic Peninsula (again, outstanding). Too expensive to visit just the Islands, but then I would say that cos I got paid for going!!

The war may be a distant memory to a lot of the younger people on here, but for the 1400 people based at Mount Pleasant airfield and the continuous presence of various Warships in the south atlantic it remains a continuing committment for HM Forces when they could be better deployed elsewhere - a sad and continuing fallout from the conflict and from Argentina's (still) claim to sovereignty.

Dave

bloody hell 2k for a flight lil maybe if i save up a lil mair then , cheers mate, 2k will get me a weeks jetbiking and sand duning on a quad and a horse and falconry in dubai, but hey if i save up enuff i will luv tae see the falklands baa baa

cheers
Old 02 April 2007, 11:36 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Just been on the tv about a 19 yr old lad that got shot via a sniper..........he was a medic trying to save his mate..............1950s loads of whitby lads built port stanley * runway *then we bombed it to ****
Old 02 April 2007, 11:40 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
tosser immigrant with no respect. best advice... die a slow painful death...
Hmmm, indigenous individual of low IQ with no respect. Worse I think.
Old 02 April 2007, 11:45 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
Hmmm, indigenous individual of low IQ with no respect. Worse I think.
lol thanks andy i owe u one

cheers
Old 02 April 2007, 11:51 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

lol thanks andy i owe u one

cheers

Can't help noticing that he can't respond now.
Old 02 April 2007, 11:53 PM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx

Can't help noticing that he can't respond now.
lol true haha, he may be ub undercover or other folks who have various id's

cheers bud

i think the lads and lassie will be coming back tae the uk lol good news between iran and the uk it seems, i hope it gets sorted soon

peace
Old 03 April 2007, 02:36 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
You might like to read the raving lefty view - and the comments afterwards, which make NSR look rather boring!

Guardian Unlimited | Comment is free | Argentina's claim on the Falklands is still a good one
The Guardian reall is a nasty little rag

We had already forcibly deported the inhabitants of Diego Garcia in 1967 without much hostile publicity, and settled them in Mauritius and the Seychelles, handing over their islands to the Americans to build a gigantic air base
That one sentence says all you really need to know about that particular columnists morals IMO
Old 03 April 2007, 08:07 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

The 2 programmes were good last night, the guy who was a para then turned a professinal footballer, went back to see how it had changed, the sad thing was where they set up a field hospital their were empty cans of Stella And also Carol Thatcher, I liked the bit where the 3 mums of soldiers who were on the Belgrano said why did your mum drop 3 bombs and not 1 her answer you bombed us we bombed you another sad sight was whers some Argentine soldiers were buried in unknown graves, just goes to show what argentina think of their war hero's.
Cheers
Colin
Old 03 April 2007, 10:37 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Imagine if The Isle of Wight/Anglesey was populated by Argentinians ever since their empire invaded and took it over in the 1800's - how absurd would that be?

D
PS Mind you the steak and red wine would be a lot nicer
Old 03 April 2007, 10:53 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Imagine if The Isle of Wight/Anglesey was populated by Argentinians ever since their empire invaded and took it over in the 1800's - how absurd would that be?

D
Lets be honest,no-one gives a $hit about the 2,000 people who live there,it all about the prospect of oil.
Old 03 April 2007, 11:14 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Diesel

D
No offence, but that's a very poor analogy, you can p!ss on the Isle of Wight or Anglesey from the Mainland (Not a bad idea actually), whereas there is nearly 400 miles of Atlantic Ocean between Argentina and our islands. To put it into better perspective, what you really should be saying is:

"Imagine if Spain was populated by the Argentinians ever since their empire invaded and took it over in the 1800's - how absurd would that be?"

Oh look, Spain is occupied and populated by decendants of the Argentinians

Prior to gaining independence, Argentina was a Spanish colony, and thanks to the Spanish governments then policy of extermination, rather than integration, it's current population are for the most part direct descendants of those early colonists. You'll be hard pressed to find an indigenous native in modern day Argentina

BTW, For the record Britain did not colonise an Argentinian posession, The country of Argentina did not even exist when the Falklands were absorbed into the British Empire

Last edited by CrisPDuk; 03 April 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03 April 2007, 11:15 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Where is all this oil then, 25 yrs later - shouldnt we be trying to nick it, pronto!!! D

Quick Reply: 25Th anniversary of the falklands