Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What would you Do ???

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2007, 02:56 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you Do ???

My 4 yr old boy has got to have 2 teeth out. They want to give him a general and my immediate reaction is wtf ??? For a tooth.

Would you let your 4 yr old have a general just for a tooth to be taken out. He did have a general last summer when he dislocated his elbow. But they want to give it him in the dental clinic not the hospital.

Opinions please
Old 26 March 2007, 02:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Tell him to stop being a wuss, and have nothing. Take it like a Man

Last edited by stilover; 26 March 2007 at 03:01 PM.
Old 26 March 2007, 02:59 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Get a second opinion from a different dentist.
Old 26 March 2007, 03:03 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

I believe it's only so that the stress level for the child is reduced. Imagine his horror when Doctor Death comes at him with a f'kkin great big pair of pliers !

The general should be ok, they wouldn't ask otherwise. The anesthetist will be fully trained etc.
Old 26 March 2007, 03:05 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Bottle of whisky like the old days?
Old 26 March 2007, 03:31 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

It will be quite light, should only be under for a few mins. Its SOP for that age TBH, so long as he has no history of airways problems it will be fine. If he did have history they would have sent him to the local hospital / dentist hospital.
Old 26 March 2007, 03:35 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Bottle of whisky like the old days?
I've been giving him brandy as it goes. I think he's starting to quite like it
Old 26 March 2007, 03:36 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
It will be quite light, should only be under for a few mins. Its SOP for that age TBH, so long as he has no history of airways problems it will be fine. If he did have history they would have sent him to the local hospital / dentist hospital.
When he was little he did have a touch of asthma. Does that count ??
You seem to know a lot. Your not a dentist are ya ??
Old 26 March 2007, 03:53 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

LOL, I guess if you gave me a large pair of pliers or a Dremmel I might be able to sort it for you..

Seriously though - no I am not - however I have had almost all the teeth in my mouth removed in the space of about 5 years. Have a full set now but had a lot of problems when I was younger. The first lot I had out were under general at the dentist - quite light as I said, only just under. Shortly after I had a problem with asthma so the rest all came out under general at the hospital as they had better kit in case of a problem.

If you are not sure I suggest you look at getting a second opinion, have you mentioned the asthma to the dentist?
Old 26 March 2007, 03:57 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billythekid
LOL, I guess if you gave me a large pair of pliers or a Dremmel I might be able to sort it for you..

Seriously though - no I am not - however I have had almost all the teeth in my mouth removed in the space of about 5 years. Have a full set now but had a lot of problems when I was younger. The first lot I had out were under general at the dentist - quite light as I said, only just under. Shortly after I had a problem with asthma so the rest all came out under general at the hospital as they had better kit in case of a problem.

If you are not sure I suggest you look at getting a second opinion, have you mentioned the asthma to the dentist?
Yeah i mentioned it to them but they still insist on it. Don't think i would mind so much if they did it in the hospital. As he has had general before so there's no fear of a nasty reaction or something.
Old 26 March 2007, 04:05 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I guess you will have to trust them. The kit they have these days is good anyway, I guess they will monitor all his vitals etc as they go along. Unless he is having a lot out it should not take long. The most I had out in one go was 8..
Old 26 March 2007, 04:27 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It's pretty standard, think of the alternative situation with a 4yo screaming and throwing a tantrum while trying to hold his head in a vice like grip to stop it moving, and then trying to get the pliers in the mouth.
Old 26 March 2007, 04:29 PM
stara
Scooby Regular

just bear in mind that when anyone has general anaesthetic in hospital, an overnight stay is required, obviously this is not done at a dentist, so why are hospitals more cautious? so if he were my child, i would insist on having it done in the dental department of your nearest equipped hospital, as it is the best place to be should anything go wrong.
Old 26 March 2007, 04:34 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Why has nobody asked why a 4 year old needs to have teeth extracted or am I the only nosey one here
Old 26 March 2007, 04:37 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stara
just bear in mind that when anyone has general anaesthetic in hospital, an overnight stay is required, obviously this is not done at a dentist, so why are hospitals more cautious? so if he were my child, i would insist on having it done in the dental department of your nearest equipped hospital, as it is the best place to be should anything go wrong.
Yeah i am going to have a chat with them and insist it is done in the hospital.
I think he will be put on day release, so he won't have to stay in, as long as he isn't being sick or anything.
My eldest had grommits a few years ago and he was in and out in the same day.
Old 26 March 2007, 04:39 PM
MOK79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Why has nobody asked why a 4 year old needs to have teeth extracted or am I the only nosey one here
He has some sort of disease which means his teeth rot. He has just been prescribed some gel which will prevent it anymore. But the 2 that need to come out have gone to far and there is no other choice. Unless I rip them out my self when he is sleeping.
Old 26 March 2007, 05:13 PM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOK79
Unless I rip them out my self when he is sleeping.
If you're worried about a general, I think it's unlikely you'l have a go yourself!
Old 26 March 2007, 10:30 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

to be honest at the age of 20 i would still want to be put to sleep when having dental work done i know you can say im a wuss but theres always that fear its up to you though really. good luck
Old 27 March 2007, 12:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

General anaesthetics these days are no problem at all, no significant after effect, and I think it would be considerably less stressful for the lad. Better than having an injection and seeing it all happen.

Les
Old 27 March 2007, 12:40 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

just bear in mind that when anyone has general anaesthetic in hospital, an overnight stay is required
No it isn't
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOK79
My 4 yr old boy has got to have 2 teeth out. They want to give him a general and my immediate reaction is wtf ??? For a tooth.

Would you let your 4 yr old have a general just for a tooth to be taken out. He did have a general last summer when he dislocated his elbow. But they want to give it him in the dental clinic not the hospital.

Opinions please
General one?? Are they mad?? Don't go down that road, I know what I'm talking about considering that I have 3 dentist/surgeon family members in the first degree.

Need any info, just ask.
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

26 years ago when I was six, I had a general for a tooth extraction. This was in the days that the practise had an on site anaesthetist who had a GNVQ in sleeping...
I woke up feeling dizzy, one quick barf on the surgery carpet and home I went a groggy little dude minus a toof.
These days the dental hospitals and the staff are far better equipped so the little dude will be fine...

Last edited by Abdabz; 27 March 2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: PS I know a dental nurse AND a dentist and I am special
Old 27 March 2007, 12:47 PM
Dave1980
Scooby Regular

if it helps i had 4 teeth out at the back to make some extra room when i was 8/9 and i had a general anesthetic.

i didnt even know it happened till it was over so its probably not a bad thing.

they gave me the laughing gas though, as far as i know it wasnt a jab.
Old 27 March 2007, 01:04 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Not true, the misses had her wisdom teeth out last year, 2 hours after the Op we were on our way home.
Old 27 March 2007, 01:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Janspeed
General one?? Are they mad?? Don't go down that road, I know what I'm talking about considering that I have 3 dentist/surgeon family members in the first degree.

Need any info, just ask.
Yes but are you one of them? I have a pilot in my family but that doesn't qualify me to fly jumbos!
Old 27 March 2007, 01:15 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Yes but are you one of them? I have a pilot in my family but that doesn't qualify me to fly jumbos!
My mouth is in tip-top shape thanks to those family members. No I'm not one of them, but I've been through a lot concerning teeth and a general anes. is not the way to go.

I've had two teeth out to make space about 5 years ago and I drove home afterwards no problems. It hurt for a while but then again they were extracted from my mouth!

I will have some wisdom teeth out sooner or later. It will done on the hour without a general, drive home afterwards too. Generals are VERY dangerous and I think that people do not have a healthy notion on the subject. I can give you an idea of why but that is another topic.

They are "only" teeth, he will get over it, just don't go overkill on the "drugs" it is not healthy at all.
Old 27 March 2007, 01:23 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am amazed that general anaesthesia is regarded as being dangerous! I must be biased then since I have had a good many in recent years.

Les
Old 27 March 2007, 01:29 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I am amazed that general anaesthesia is regarded as being dangerous! I must be biased then since I have had a good many in recent years.

Les
Listen, it is a last resort procedure! For teeth??? Only if you live in Sierra Leone!!!
Old 27 March 2007, 01:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/...dh_4019200.pdf

Page 11 - Point 2 in section 16
Old 27 March 2007, 01:53 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Thnks