ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What would you Do ??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/593939-what-would-you-do.html)

MOK79 26 March 2007 02:56 PM

What would you Do ???

My 4 yr old boy has got to have 2 teeth out. They want to give him a general and my immediate reaction is wtf ??? For a tooth.

Would you let your 4 yr old have a general just for a tooth to be taken out. He did have a general last summer when he dislocated his elbow. But they want to give it him in the dental clinic not the hospital.

Opinions please

stilover 26 March 2007 02:58 PM

Tell him to stop being a wuss, and have nothing. Take it like a Man

Dan W 26 March 2007 02:59 PM

Get a second opinion from a different dentist.

Norman D. Landing 26 March 2007 03:03 PM

I believe it's only so that the stress level for the child is reduced. Imagine his horror when Doctor Death comes at him with a f'kkin great big pair of pliers !

The general should be ok, they wouldn't ask otherwise. The anesthetist will be fully trained etc.

Trout 26 March 2007 03:05 PM

Bottle of whisky like the old days?

billythekid 26 March 2007 03:31 PM

It will be quite light, should only be under for a few mins. Its SOP for that age TBH, so long as he has no history of airways problems it will be fine. If he did have history they would have sent him to the local hospital / dentist hospital.

MOK79 26 March 2007 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rannoch (Post 6782932)
Bottle of whisky like the old days?

I've been giving him brandy as it goes. I think he's starting to quite like it:Suspiciou

MOK79 26 March 2007 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 6783025)
It will be quite light, should only be under for a few mins. Its SOP for that age TBH, so long as he has no history of airways problems it will be fine. If he did have history they would have sent him to the local hospital / dentist hospital.

When he was little he did have a touch of asthma. Does that count ??
You seem to know a lot. Your not a dentist are ya ??

billythekid 26 March 2007 03:53 PM

LOL, I guess if you gave me a large pair of pliers or a Dremmel I might be able to sort it for you.. :norty:

Seriously though - no I am not - however I have had almost all the teeth in my mouth removed in the space of about 5 years. Have a full set now but had a lot of problems when I was younger. The first lot I had out were under general at the dentist - quite light as I said, only just under. Shortly after I had a problem with asthma so the rest all came out under general at the hospital as they had better kit in case of a problem.

If you are not sure I suggest you look at getting a second opinion, have you mentioned the asthma to the dentist?

MOK79 26 March 2007 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by billythekid (Post 6783104)
LOL, I guess if you gave me a large pair of pliers or a Dremmel I might be able to sort it for you.. :norty:

Seriously though - no I am not - however I have had almost all the teeth in my mouth removed in the space of about 5 years. Have a full set now but had a lot of problems when I was younger. The first lot I had out were under general at the dentist - quite light as I said, only just under. Shortly after I had a problem with asthma so the rest all came out under general at the hospital as they had better kit in case of a problem.

If you are not sure I suggest you look at getting a second opinion, have you mentioned the asthma to the dentist?

Yeah i mentioned it to them but they still insist on it. Don't think i would mind so much if they did it in the hospital. As he has had general before so there's no fear of a nasty reaction or something.

billythekid 26 March 2007 04:05 PM

I guess you will have to trust them. The kit they have these days is good anyway, I guess they will monitor all his vitals etc as they go along. Unless he is having a lot out it should not take long. The most I had out in one go was 8.. :(

KiwiGTI 26 March 2007 04:27 PM

It's pretty standard, think of the alternative situation with a 4yo screaming and throwing a tantrum while trying to hold his head in a vice like grip to stop it moving, and then trying to get the pliers in the mouth.

stara 26 March 2007 04:29 PM

just bear in mind that when anyone has general anaesthetic in hospital, an overnight stay is required, obviously this is not done at a dentist, so why are hospitals more cautious? so if he were my child, i would insist on having it done in the dental department of your nearest equipped hospital, as it is the best place to be should anything go wrong.

Wurzel 26 March 2007 04:34 PM

Why has nobody asked why a 4 year old needs to have teeth extracted or am I the only nosey one here :D

MOK79 26 March 2007 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by stara (Post 6783225)
just bear in mind that when anyone has general anaesthetic in hospital, an overnight stay is required, obviously this is not done at a dentist, so why are hospitals more cautious? so if he were my child, i would insist on having it done in the dental department of your nearest equipped hospital, as it is the best place to be should anything go wrong.

Yeah i am going to have a chat with them and insist it is done in the hospital.
I think he will be put on day release, so he won't have to stay in, as long as he isn't being sick or anything.
My eldest had grommits a few years ago and he was in and out in the same day.

MOK79 26 March 2007 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 6783234)
Why has nobody asked why a 4 year old needs to have teeth extracted or am I the only nosey one here :D

He has some sort of disease which means his teeth rot. He has just been prescribed some gel which will prevent it anymore. But the 2 that need to come out have gone to far and there is no other choice. Unless I rip them out my self when he is sleeping. :wonder:

Scooby Snacks 23 26 March 2007 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by MOK79 (Post 6783245)
Unless I rip them out my self when he is sleeping. :wonder:

If you're worried about a general, I think it's unlikely you'l have a go yourself!

Stephb1986 26 March 2007 10:30 PM

to be honest at the age of 20 i would still want to be put to sleep when having dental work done i know you can say im a wuss but theres always that fear its up to you though really. good luck :)

Leslie 27 March 2007 12:31 PM

General anaesthetics these days are no problem at all, no significant after effect, and I think it would be considerably less stressful for the lad. Better than having an injection and seeing it all happen.

Les

michaelro 27 March 2007 12:40 PM

just bear in mind that when anyone has general anaesthetic in hospital, an overnight stay is required

No it isn't :wonder:

Janspeed 27 March 2007 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by MOK79 (Post 6782898)
My 4 yr old boy has got to have 2 teeth out. They want to give him a general and my immediate reaction is wtf ??? For a tooth.

Would you let your 4 yr old have a general just for a tooth to be taken out. He did have a general last summer when he dislocated his elbow. But they want to give it him in the dental clinic not the hospital.

Opinions please

General one?? Are they mad?? Don't go down that road, I know what I'm talking about considering that I have 3 dentist/surgeon family members in the first degree.

Need any info, just ask.

Abdabz 27 March 2007 12:40 PM

26 years ago when I was six, I had a general for a tooth extraction. This was in the days that the practise had an on site anaesthetist who had a GNVQ in sleeping...
I woke up feeling dizzy, one quick barf on the surgery carpet and home I went a groggy little dude minus a toof.
These days the dental hospitals and the staff are far better equipped so the little dude will be fine... :thumb:

Dave1980 27 March 2007 12:47 PM

if it helps i had 4 teeth out at the back to make some extra room when i was 8/9 and i had a general anesthetic.

i didnt even know it happened till it was over so its probably not a bad thing.

they gave me the laughing gas though, as far as i know it wasnt a jab.

OllyK 27 March 2007 01:04 PM

Not true, the misses had her wisdom teeth out last year, 2 hours after the Op we were on our way home.

OllyK 27 March 2007 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Janspeed (Post 6785605)
General one?? Are they mad?? Don't go down that road, I know what I'm talking about considering that I have 3 dentist/surgeon family members in the first degree.

Need any info, just ask.

Yes but are you one of them? I have a pilot in my family but that doesn't qualify me to fly jumbos! :D

Janspeed 27 March 2007 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK (Post 6785708)
Yes but are you one of them? I have a pilot in my family but that doesn't qualify me to fly jumbos! :D

My mouth is in tip-top shape thanks to those family members. No I'm not one of them, but I've been through a lot concerning teeth and a general anes. is not the way to go.

I've had two teeth out to make space about 5 years ago and I drove home afterwards no problems. It hurt for a while but then again they were extracted from my mouth!

I will have some wisdom teeth out sooner or later. It will done on the hour without a general, drive home afterwards too. Generals are VERY dangerous and I think that people do not have a healthy notion on the subject. I can give you an idea of why but that is another topic.

They are "only" teeth, he will get over it, just don't go overkill on the "drugs" it is not healthy at all.

Leslie 27 March 2007 01:23 PM

I am amazed that general anaesthesia is regarded as being dangerous! I must be biased then since I have had a good many in recent years.

Les

Janspeed 27 March 2007 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 6785770)
I am amazed that general anaesthesia is regarded as being dangerous! I must be biased then since I have had a good many in recent years.

Les

Listen, it is a last resort procedure! For teeth??? Only if you live in Sierra Leone!!!

OllyK 27 March 2007 01:45 PM

http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/...dh_4019200.pdf

Page 11 - Point 2 in section 16

Janspeed 27 March 2007 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK (Post 6785859)

Thnks :thumb: