Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Camping in the South of France

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2007, 11:40 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camping in the South of France

For this summer we are thinking of have 2 weeks in the south of France at one of those camp sites where everything is provided for you (tents, cookers etc). Has anyone been before? Any recommendations on which company to go for and where?

Cheers
Old 26 March 2007, 11:58 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments. Just been looking at a few sites, and most do those static caravan things now, which is a better option. Prices seem pretty good too.
Old 26 March 2007, 12:15 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Forgot to ask. Did you drive down or fly? Quite fancy driving myself, but with a 5 year old I don't want them to get bored.
Old 26 March 2007, 12:45 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I used to do those as a kid too, driving down is so much better because of the freedom a car gives you. And seeing the country on the way.

You'd have to be very vain not to be able to stay in a tent. They are more like a little canvass house Very liveable actually.
Old 26 March 2007, 02:14 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

"South of France". Hmmmmm, big area.

Not being funny, guy, but that's about 500 miles of coastline, ranging from flat dune-like beaches in the south and almost Spanish, to the Camargue, to rocky inlets and cliffs and almost Italian in the north-east, and that's JUST the Med coast

Add to that, clear beautiful rivers further inland and your choice is enormous.

If you want to go with a UK comapny, try Keycamp and Eurocamp.

You could also do worse than find a SPECIFIC area, look on Google for campsites in that area, go straight to the campsite's website and see what they offer. Book direct, and save money.

Be quick though, as most sites will be booked by now, at least for the 14th July-14th August period.

Driving down is easy enough, motorways, and good roads. Children are easily catered for in chain hotels, (book online to save hunting for places), with beds in your room and their own menu.

We did this MANY times with a caravan in tow, often taking two days to get to the campsite, but with TWO lads in the back it can get a bit frought.

The answer is FREQUENT stops, (easy on the motorway or if not towing), and something to take the child's attention: we used hand-held games, (Gameboy), books, and cassette tapes of children's stories......(funny how those interested the adults too)

Later on, they had their own walkman's and listened to music, stories etc. they also used "I-Spy" type books thast I made up for them and we did all manner of competitions, (Child X has to see a yellow car, Child Y has to see a red van) etc, anything to distract them. It worked pretty well, except when the eldest was being his usual pest-self.

As for sites, look for ones with: pool, child's pool, child's play area, easy/direct access to beach/river, (my two always preferred rivers to beaches, more to do), a bar and if poss a restaurant and take-away service. Most sites will have most, if not all those things.

Avoid enormous sites and those with camp disco etc unless you like being kept awake most nights......

Alcazar
Old 26 March 2007, 02:31 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Alcazar,

Thanks for the info. Guess I should try and be a bit more specific..

To be honest, I've never been there, so don't have much idea on what the place is like. I just had a request from the missus "I fancy the south of France this year" and so am trying to turn this into a holiday.

I've looked at the Keycamp site and it's pretty good in giving you an idea of the surrounding area for each site. It's also good in that it tells you which are the big sites and likely to be noisy. There seems to be some availability left on a few good sites on the dates we need, so hopefully we can book something in the next couple of days. I'm keen on driving down so will look at stops on the way and methods of distraction. Thanks for the tips.
Old 26 March 2007, 02:37 PM
Infractfree
BANNED

Wherever you go take plenty of 'jungle strength' 100% Deet mosquito repellent and buy some citronella candles from the local supermarche. Otherwise you'll be bitten to death if you really do go to the 'south of France'.
Old 26 March 2007, 03:09 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, useful tips!
Old 26 March 2007, 03:14 PM
Bakerman
Scooby Regular

I own a static van about 10miles from St Tropez, lovely area (away from the really tourist bits) and lovely little villages close by (I am very close to Grimaud), madness if you are there in Aug though due to the sheer quantity of people. Monaco is under 2hrs no problem. Not a fan of Frejus but then different people have different requirements.

We drive down overnight, 6pm ferry from Dover and usually there (if a little tired) around 8am.

Mozzies are definately there but no worse than other places, burn some nice candles and they shouldn't attack. Buy the plug in anti mozzie things from the local supermarkets otherwise they will bite overnight.

Whatever you do DO NOT travel on the first and last w/e in Aug as this is when most of France seems to be travelling.