Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

House Deed Covenants

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2007, 11:14 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default House Deed Covenants

I live in a newish house on a stero typical estate.

it is a 5 bed corner plot with a fair amount of land at the front, could park 6 cars on the drive 3 garden areas and a double garage.

1 of these garden areas has a planting scheme in the covenent and there is also the normal no caravan speedboat or commercial vehicle covenants.

I have removed some of the plants and made a hardstanding area to store my sailing boat. I know this is against the restricted covenants but my question is who has the right to complain, and to who and what is the likley outcome.
Old 14 March 2007, 11:20 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have neighbours who like thowing their money at solicitors, i wouldn't worry, conenants such as those are almost a waste of ink.....
Old 14 March 2007, 11:33 PM
GUNNER
Scooby Regular

I believe you'll find all of your neibour's have the right to complain if they live in a property built by the same builder with the same restriction's.Some won't give a monkey's what you've done but there's allway's the one busy body who's got nowt else to do apart from annoy every one else with petition's and letter writing to said builder complaining. Might be best to get in first and ask permision from builder. There's normally a charge if permision is granted ranging from £50 to several hundred but you do get writen conformation which then goes with your deed's.
Old 14 March 2007, 11:37 PM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Depends on what exactly the deeds say but normally the covenants are to protect the developer (who doesn't want you messing up his nice new development), and adjoining land owners i.e. your neighbours.

The developer probably won't be interested in getting involved unless they still have houses to sell on the development and they think you're spoiling the look of their design (some of them are really precious about their developments), your neighbours would have to be willing to take you to court which is unlikely as it will cost them a few bob, but then you know what some people are like!

It's also likely that "permitted development" rights were withdrawn as a condition of planning for the development which means that you must apply for planning permission for any extensions/alterations to the property, I'm not sure that would apply to hardstandings though.

If you've already done the work then don't try and approach anyone for permission now, it's probably best just to see what happens.

Good luck

Matt
Old 15 March 2007, 10:29 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

thanks chaps some re-assuring thoughts there.

The development was finished entirely around 3 years ago. hardstanding in effect is hradcore and gravel it isnt a concrete base.

I really only have 1 neighbour and we share the same private access drive. I know the owners of the house very well as they actually rent the property, I guess their tennants cannot actually do anything.

the only persons view it disturbs is mine. so hopefully no one will complain. I probably have more to worry about with the wildlife planting scheme being altered by removal of rambling roses to make room.