House Prices in Freefall in USA

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2007, 07:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default House Prices in Freefall in USA

What happens there, happens here, as long as you have a hole in your ****

Get your spare cash ready to mop up the property of those who have stretched themselves too far!
Old 14 March 2007, 07:23 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll be able to get a mansion over there for about $50,000 then
Old 14 March 2007, 07:24 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hmm,cant see it over here myself.

what with the demand a house "worth" 150k today cannot be worth 100k next week or next year,i know its happend before but so did the plague
Old 14 March 2007, 07:32 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
so did the plague
Whats those boils on your face?????????
Old 14 March 2007, 08:19 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

But freefall implies they're going down?.... all those estate agents, mortgage lenders and vested-interest property programmes say property only goes up though I'm confused??

I wonder how long UK banks will continue high risk lending - lending 5 x salary, 100% mortgages, self-certs etc etc... when this starts happening lets see how well prices here stand up
Old 14 March 2007, 08:45 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Completely different economy over there. Plus different parts of the US have a completely different economy to others. What 'parts' of the US are in 'freefall'? I heard about Florida the other day.

Dave
Though a housing recession in the US does not mean one in the UK, this time they may coincide.

Hutton, there seems to be a USA wide problem. Sub prime lenders are up **** creek, thats why we've seen the dip in the Dow. Things are looking really bad over the pond
Old 14 March 2007, 08:47 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Originally Posted by pslewis
What happens there, happens here, as long as you have a hole in your ****

Get your spare cash ready to mop up the property of those who have stretched themselves too far!
You keep posting the same pretentious crap Pete.
Old 14 March 2007, 08:48 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The difference between us and the US is that they have thousands of square miles of building land and no houseing shortage. Here on the other hand, we're on an overcrowded island and running out of space in the bigger urban areas. Totally different market.
Old 14 March 2007, 08:57 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Also REV, we have a whole raft of pretentious psuedo-middle class sheep inflating property prices by buying anything they can with BTL mortgages.....
Old 14 March 2007, 08:57 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
The difference between us and the US is that they have thousands of square miles of building land and no houseing shortage. Here on the other hand, we're on an overcrowded island and running out of space in the bigger urban areas. Totally different market.
This is what estate agents would like to believe, but IMO its just not true, and not a reason to prevent a significant fall in prices.

Something like 4% of land is built on - there is still a significant amount of home-building going on - especially on brown-field sites over the last few years (Bristol, Leeds etc have 10's of thousands of new city-centre flats)

Ok immigration is high, but so is emigration which tends to be by professional families, so the couple with a baby in a 3bed house are replaced by a 4 or 5 immigrants sharing the same house.

Inability to borrow vast sums will what drives down prices anyway. Just look at what happened in Japan if you want a good example of a housing shortage not preventing crashes (they really do have a shortage, but still stuffered a massive crash)

Last edited by Petem95; 14 March 2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 14 March 2007, 08:58 PM
Gazz300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Florida have enough housing to sell for another 19 months if they build no new homes. Values seem to be holding thought contrary to normal supply demand rules as there are so many brits and retirees buying 2nd homes I heard.

Great news though if it does come over here as I sold and am renting at the moment.

And if this is true then Richard Hammond was right to sell his house and rent.
Old 14 March 2007, 09:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Pete, thanks for telling me, I just offloaded my place to some yanks for a tenner, phew !
Old 14 March 2007, 09:51 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
This is what estate agents would like to believe, but IMO its just not true, and not a reason to prevent a significant fall in prices.

Something like 4% of land is built on - there is still a significant amount of home-building going on - especially on brown-field sites over the last few years (Bristol, Leeds etc have 10's of thousands of new city-centre flats)

Ok immigration is high, but so is emigration which tends to be by professional families, so the couple with a baby in a 3bed house are replaced by a 4 or 5 immigrants sharing the same house.

Inability to borrow vast sums will what drives down prices anyway. Just look at what happened in Japan if you want a good example of a housing shortage not preventing crashes (they really do have a shortage, but still stuffered a massive crash)
...except in Japan the leverage was very significantly higher than it has ever been in the UK and this placed great strain on banking confidence - pre-crash the real estate in Tokyo was technically worth more than all the real estate in the USA and the banks were backed by this asset value. When banking confidence failed then real estate went into true freefall.

A whole different kettle of fish to the UK.

Similar in the USA - since Bush II there has been a massive, massive, massive devaluation of the US economy through national debt and trade deficit.

In the UK leverage has not beyond historic bounds and demand has continued to outstrip supply. An adjustment, yes possibly especially if equities show any strength in their recovery, but like the US and Japan, very, very unlikely as the fundamentals are just not the same.

Rannoch
Old 14 March 2007, 10:17 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Sounds like someone with no house ...

TX.

Originally Posted by Minitrue
Also REV, we have a whole raft of pretentious psuedo-middle class sheep inflating property prices by buying anything they can with BTL mortgages.....
Old 14 March 2007, 10:40 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

PMSL What a well informed statement
Old 14 March 2007, 10:49 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

land to build on is so hard to find now thats why the prices are so high in the uk, i was searching for a building plot for nearly a year and they just wasn't around, look at any new buying site like redrow, persimmon etc and those houses are all top prices yet sell before the houses are even built, i've got a building plot now with detailed planning granted on it but it wasn't easy to find and thats why house prices will stay high and even increase
Old 14 March 2007, 11:30 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Baa baa. So many sheep around these parts...
Old 14 March 2007, 11:36 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

don't worry Pete, I'm sure you wont be affected in your nursing home, now get back and reiterate another story from news 24
Old 14 March 2007, 11:38 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Patt@firstime
PMSL What a well informed statement
It is actually, something like 75% of all property bought in London is now on buy-to-let mortgages. Distinct lack of first time buyers.
Old 15 March 2007, 12:02 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
It is actually, something like 75% of all property bought in London is now on buy-to-let mortgages. Distinct lack of first time buyers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that statistic isn't reflective of mortgage type on residential property purchases in the last 6 months.

I could well believe 75% of all London property (commercial and residential) is rented out.
Old 15 March 2007, 09:10 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

And of course the stock market is feeling rock solid at the moment because it doesn't give two hoots about America and its economy.

I like the chaps comment at the bottom.UK's market could be cosidered sub prime lending too

FTSE drops to lowest since October on US fears-Business-Markets-TimesOnline
Old 15 March 2007, 09:29 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You keep posting the same pretentious crap Pete.
And YOU are a NEW member - just joined in Feb 2007 eh??

Do me a favour!! When YOU post as ONE person you will have the right to question my posts - until then I suggest you get your own mind in order!!
Old 15 March 2007, 10:00 AM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
And YOU are a NEW member - just joined in Feb 2007 eh??
Does this make his opinion any less valid?
Old 15 March 2007, 10:13 AM
King RA
BANNED

Just ignore pete, then hopefully he'll go away.
Old 16 March 2007, 08:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Volks
Does this make his opinion any less valid?
Of course it does ..... no ***** = no opinion worthy of note in my book!!