Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The great global warming swindle - CH4 now

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2007, 09:16 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The great global warming swindle - CH4 now

an alternative view on the 'business' of global warming.....

Similar perspective as the Michael Crichton book State of Fear - global warming = social control!
Old 08 March 2007, 09:40 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Nothing like a good dose of TRUTH to put things into perspective.

Rises in CO2 levels throughout history have always lagged behind temperature change by around 800 years. Clearly, therefore CO2 levels cannot drive climate change.
Old 08 March 2007, 09:42 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the trouble started when the TORIES were in power!!
Old 08 March 2007, 09:49 PM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Looks like the trouble started when the TORIES were in power!!
While it seems like they have been gone much too long - it is not 800 years. lol
Old 08 March 2007, 09:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B-B
While it seems like they have been gone much too long - it is not 800 years. lol
You are a New Labour Fan .... and you know it, you have been roughing it with the underclasses for too long now
Old 08 March 2007, 10:02 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Anything worthwhile to contribute lewis?

Thought not - back to the trolley park for you then.
Old 08 March 2007, 10:03 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Brilliant programme - at last some commonsense on TV 'science' reporting
Filmaker Martin Durkin's documentary "The Great Global Warming Scandal" says the sun, and not human-generated greenhouse gases, is to blame for the increase in the Earth's temperature, The Washington Times reported.
Durkin says the greenhouse theory is "the biggest scam of modern times."
The program, scheduled for broadcast Thursday on Britain's Channel 4, features experts in climatology, oceanography, meteorology, biogeography and paleoclimatology, the newspaper said.
University of Ottawa paleontologist Ian Clark says global warming could be caused by increased activity on the sun. Clark said polar ice-core samples show that "warmer periods in Earth's history have come about 800 years before rises in carbon dioxide levels."
Scientists in the documentary also say most of the recent global warming occurred before 1940, followed by a 40-year temperature drop. They say the carbon dioxide created during the post-World War II economic boom should have caused a rise in global temperatures.

Repeated at 22.00 on More4 on 12th March...

Mick
Old 08 March 2007, 10:06 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

worth reading that Crichton book too - covers the same ground albeit in a slightly crappy story!
Old 08 March 2007, 10:06 PM
RichardS2005
Scooby Regular

and it has all the research references for irritating blinkered tree huggers!
Old 08 March 2007, 10:52 PM
B-B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RichardS2005
worth reading that Crichton book too - covers the same ground albeit in a slightly crappy story!
The book made more sense than any media brain washing.
Old 08 March 2007, 11:00 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

AND WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF IT IS A COVER UP ON AVERAGE HOW MUCH HAS IT COST THE TAX PAYER IN BRITIAN THEN?
Old 08 March 2007, 11:00 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Sadly though, that programme was right, the movement has gained so much momentum that it is taken as fact, and no one can question it.

Only in 100 years when nothing has happened will they be vindicated.

Geezer
Old 09 March 2007, 12:00 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Geezer
no one can question it.

Geezer
Apart from you..... and me.....

Don't roll over
Old 09 March 2007, 07:13 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

It was an excellent programme. Be good to bring the two side together in an open debate.

I'm beginning to think its all pants.
Old 09 March 2007, 08:31 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezer
Sadly though, that programme was right, the movement has gained so much momentum that it is taken as fact, and no one can question it.

Only in 100 years when nothing has happened will they be vindicated.

Geezer
Hopefully it won't take that long. It was only in the mid 1970's that there was something similar to the scale of global warming, and that was global cooling!!

Remember Worries About Global Cooling? - Newsweek Technology - MSNBC.com

Hopefully if more programmes highlight the global warming scam and the media pick up on this as a whole the sooner everyone will recognise this. Rebate on my green tax please!!

Also the polar ice caps on Mars is currently melting away. What's causing Mars to warm up? Not CO2 producing martians thats for sure!!!
Old 09 March 2007, 08:39 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Wow, who would have thought it was the sun all along

It's about time the whole global warming scam was uncovered. I've said it before and it's worth repeating: the planet will look after itself. Whether it looks after us is an entirely different matter.
Old 09 March 2007, 09:34 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Hopefully if more programmes highlight the global warming scam and the media pick up on this as a whole the sooner everyone will recognise this. Rebate on my green tax please!!
The media is a big part of the problem. As Illustrated on last night's program, it SUITS them to have this scam, their jobs in many cases depend in it and the more hysterical the stories, the better for them.
Old 09 March 2007, 10:15 AM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

The media are the cause of many of the worlds problems these days
Old 09 March 2007, 10:32 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Very interesting the IPCC listing the names of the experts that wholeheartedly disagreed with their report, because they 'contributed'. The little fact that their only contribution was to debunk the IPCC's conclusion that global warming is manmade via CO2 - was overlooked!

Surely this must discredit the IPCC and any 'report' of theirs?
Old 09 March 2007, 10:53 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

It's amazing how everyone appears to have latched on to this programme, as being the authoritive view on global warming. Be careful though, most of the 'new evidence' stated yesterday is in fact old evidence that (depending on what side of this debate you are on) has/ hasn't been debunked.
I did find it interesting, however just with the green lobby there are agendas flying around on the other side too.
It still amazes me how anyone on here can say with certainty that this is or isn't man made.... keep an open mind guys, and don't get sucked in by either sides propaganda, just because it suits your lifestyle.
Old 09 March 2007, 11:02 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

As above - This is a report arguing one side of the debate. There is plenty of research out there to rebutt every single one of the points made in last nights programme. Just because the report happened to coincide with your own particular viewpoint does not make it the undisputable truth.

Keep an open mind.
Old 09 March 2007, 11:03 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

And there in lies the problem. How do you work out the facts from all the biased views being offered? It seems that there are different was you can interpret the data. I for one, have an open mind and will listen to both side of the argument and make my own mind up on what is the "truth". I'm all for cutting back on pollution (this is not the same as reducing C02 emissions, I'm talking about fumes, poisons, toxins, &c being released into the environment). I want to live in an unspoiled green and pleasant land and believe this is where the energy of the Green movement should be directed.
Old 09 March 2007, 11:12 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
How do you work out the facts from all the biased views being offered? It seems that there are different was you can interpret the data.
Of course, really, it doesn't matter which side of the fence you come down on. The powers that be have already decided that man made CO2 emmissions *are* a cause of climate change. There is not a single main stream political party that is not fully commited to lowering carbon emmissions. This attitude is not likely to change any time soon. For better or worse, the west is now committed to a course of action, and no amount of documentaries offering an opposing view is going to change that.
Old 09 March 2007, 11:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I thought it was a fascinating programme and what swayed me was that it is based on real records going back a long way in time rather than theories. I suppose that if the government slap large amounts of dosh on the table and say investigate global warmimng, then the answers could just be somewhat biased. What made me sit up was when the professor said that Man's contrbution to the CO2 in the atmosphere was in the order of 0.1%

Wonderful scam for PSL's heros of course. Wonder why after they increase taxes on taking a plane trip in order to reduce global warming by the aircraft, that they have supported the airports' wishes to double the amount of passengers and aircraft that they can handle in a year! Can you explain that one PSL, or are you going to hide as usual?

Les
Old 09 March 2007, 11:44 AM
EBRWRX
Scooby Regular

I'd like to see the fuel on aviation tax being raised to the same level that we are paying for our cars (or ours reduced but yeah, that's going to happen !).

Nothing to do with global warming, everything to do with fairness. The price would be passed onto the consumer. So what ? It wasn't so long ago that flying used to be a rare luxury. Now you can get to the south of France in a rididulously fast, comparitively less stressful and more comfortable time by train and the money saved is extra beers.
Old 09 March 2007, 11:56 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I am sorry that I missed the programme - repeat??

Based on info from an earlier SN thread an excellent USA based source estimates that 3% of CO2 emissions are man made of which 25% are from vehicles. Of that 2% are from UK. However that 3% may effect the overall finely tuned balance.

Did the programme claim that global warming wasn't happening or just that we are not really to blame? dl
Old 09 March 2007, 12:00 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

David, More4 12 March @ 11pm
Old 09 March 2007, 12:04 PM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

To answer your question, I caught the last 30 mins of it and in a nutshell they were saying that warming is a natural phenomena caused by the sun getting warmer. The warmer the planet the more CO2 is released not the reverse. I actually smiled a little more than usual this morning when putting my foot down just a tad more
Old 09 March 2007, 12:10 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
I am sorry that I missed the programme - repeat??

Did the programme claim that global warming wasn't happening or just that we are not really to blame? dl
Repeated on More4 Monday 12th @ 22:00 and Sat 17th @ 22:35

Conclusions were

1) Temperatures are rising, but this is not something new or unnatural (temps actually fell for 40 years during the greatest C02 production post WW2)
2) C02 levels lag behind temperature raised by about 800 years, so the notion that C02 causes warming is invalid. In fact global warming causes increased C02, not the other way around.
3) Mans effect on C02 levels is very small (I can't recall the actual numbers)
4) The suns sunspot activity coincided with the temp changes and was a more likely cause of higher temps
5) Climate Change research were largely funded by governments with a bias towards making C02 producing industries (coal, oil) the cause of climate change so the nuclear power could be promoted.

I think that's about it

Quick Reply: The great global warming swindle - CH4 now