Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Italy – where to go next?

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2007, 09:39 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Italy – where to go next?

During the last few years we (me and lady) have holidayed in Italy and thoroughly enjoyed everywhere we have been so far. I’m looking for ideas as to where we should go this year.

The destinations already visited are:-
Sorrento – inc. excursions to Rome, Pompei and Amalfi coast.
Lake Garda – inc. excursions to Venice, Stelvio Pass and Modena.
Sicily – Taormina.
And recently, Florence and Pisa city break

Can anybody recommend another Italian destination with plenty to see and do for 2 weeks?

Thanks

Nick
Old 13 March 2007, 10:15 AM
lawson101
Scooby Regular

Go to Sardinia mate.

I went there on my honeymoon last year and had a great time.

Stayed on the Costa Esmerelda in the N/E of the island. In a place called Cannigione.

Get a car and tour about as there is plenty of wee places to visit.

We chartered a yacht owned my the hotel for the day and toured the coastline and visited some excellent beaches during the day. You can also take trips to Corsica, which is meant to be equally nice.
Old 13 March 2007, 10:27 AM
CasuMarzu
Scooby Regular

I was going to say Firenze but noticed you've already been their on a day break.

As above, Sardinia but then I would say that wouldn't I
Old 13 March 2007, 11:29 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Amongst the places we went to last year were Naples and Stromboli (if not erupting too much).
Naples was buzzing - moped mental but really nice! Crossing the road couldnt be more dangerous anywhere in the world, but the city centre is nice if a little small. I prefered Florence, but its well worth a look.
We did Stromboli by sea. Stunning, especially in the dark seeing the lava flying into the sky
Other than that we sent to Messina (big Godfather movie fan so had to visit the locations) while passing. Messina itself is a dump however but Pompeii is nearby as you well know
I cant wait to go back to Florence for a weekend break
Old 13 March 2007, 01:01 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Spent two weeks in Tuscany last year. Plenty more to see and do other than Florence and Pisa.

We flew into Pisa, had a hire car for the entire two weeks. First cottage was in the heart of Chianti, near Castellina. Really peaceful, great countryside, great wine, great food. The cottage had a hot tub so we made full use of that. Went to Siena, San Gimingano and Volterra. Siena was really nice.

Second cottage we had was in the Garfagnana region. Really spectacular, very mountainous, like a scaled down version of the Alps. Visited Lucca, Pisa and Florence from there.

Had a great holiday, really didn't want to come home at the end of it
Old 14 March 2007, 02:16 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

Dunno if you could keep going for 2 weeks, but the Dolomite mountains are amazing - stay in Cortina D'Amprezzo, or Canazei.
edit - forgot to add that the roads round the Sella massif are really good for driving!!
Old 14 March 2007, 02:35 PM
King RA
BANNED

Didn't think a great deal of Napoli myself, was a bit of a dump when compared to the glorious countryside. Pompeii is nice to walk around, as is trekking up Mt.Vesuvius. I drove from Pescara on the East Coast to Napoli and the little towns and villages and countryside in between is what made it for me.
Old 14 March 2007, 02:49 PM
Angels City Monger
Scooby Regular

Pescara to bari is nice , also the Metaponto area
Old 15 March 2007, 12:03 PM
Del mar
Scooby Regular

We did

Verona, Vicenza, Padua, all an easy drive from Verona.

Venice is probably about an hours drive from Verona.

We also caught the train North from Verona to Balzano, which is close to the Austiran border. Up in the mountains it is "Alpine Meadow" scenery and they all speak German ! Most confusing.

Del
Old 15 March 2007, 12:15 PM
DanUK
Scooby Regular

Lake Maggiore and Lake Como must be worth a visit, and Rome is good for a few days. Like most of Italy, keep moving to keep it exciting!
Did you visit Lamborghini and Ferrari when you were in Modena? That's a must.
Also, visit Borghetto near Verona if you are there again, it's the quaintest little village on a river!
Old 15 March 2007, 01:50 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your recommendations - keep them coming. I've already done some of the suggested places. Thinking of returning to Sorrento as we only went for 1 week back in '03 and crammed so much in.

Originally Posted by DanUK
Lake Maggiore and Lake Como must be worth a visit, and Rome is good for a few days. Like most of Italy, keep moving to keep it exciting!
Did you visit Lamborghini and Ferrari when you were in Modena? That's a must.
Also, visit Borghetto near Verona if you are there again, it's the quaintest little village on a river!
Dan
I don't know much about Maggiore and Como. Are they as busy as Garda/plenty to do etc?
I did like Garda as it was so near to Venice, Verona (although didn't get chance to visit Verona) and Dolomites. Plus not too far from Modena.
And on that subject, yes we did indeed visit Ferrari and Lamborghini. But for me the icing on the cake had to be Pagani. That brought a lump to my throat when I was allowed to sit in their test car.
Do a search on my username and you will find some pictures from a couple of years back.

Nick