Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

memory foam matress / pillows ??

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2007, 09:48 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default memory foam matress / pillows ??

Wife is after a memory foam matress and pillows, just wonder if anyone here uses one on there bed ?? dont know anyone else use has one and would rather hear from others first on just what they are actually like instead off just spending out first and then finding out they are really nothing special after all !!!!

noticed that there are matress toppers available that just go on top off your original matress- any good or go for the matress with it built in ??

looked on ebay and there does seem to be plenty off choice , anyone else bought them off ebay and can recommend a particular seller ??
Old 11 March 2007, 09:52 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a Tempur mattress and it's excellent. One down side is they can get a bit warm in the summer.
Old 11 March 2007, 10:07 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

yes we have a mattress topper on our new mattress, for some reason couldn't get on with the new mattres in itself so tried the topper which I must is amazing, it seems to be providing us with a much better sleep.
Not got any of the pillow yet but by the end of the week we will have.

PM sent with ebay sellers details.
Old 11 March 2007, 10:09 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

one word... go for a WATERBED!!!
Old 11 March 2007, 10:09 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

My wife and I have a Tempur and for my daughter we bought one from Memory Mattress. Both are okay, and I actually prefer the one from Memory Mattress.

I hated the Tempur pillows and returned them.

Steve
Old 11 March 2007, 10:12 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks that would be great, seen the pillows for sale at one off the textile places at £20 each , as I say looked on ebay and they do seem to be going for a lot cheaper, the only thing to watch out for is pillows that are just the standard type with just a thin layer off this memory foam on top as opposed to the whole pillow being made up of foam.

anyway send over the link by PM and will check it out.

cheers
Old 11 March 2007, 10:14 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Memory foam matress, really good, not sure on the pillows I have latex ones, really comfortable and cool.
Old 11 March 2007, 10:19 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Check this.

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...+foam+mattress
Old 11 March 2007, 10:22 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a memory foam pillow and it's lurvley cost me about £40 mind
Old 11 March 2007, 10:24 PM
legacy-bournemouth
Scooby Regular

We too have a tempur double adjustable bed,. the missus loves the massage, but they get so bloody hot in the summer, and if it is adjustable, you will have a cow of a job getting sheets that have enough give in them to allow movement.

They do a pocket sprung thing in Dreams bed superstore, that we wish we had gotten

Pete
Old 11 March 2007, 10:28 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Being in the furniture trade for 24 years and retailing beds my advice is

A pocket sprung matteress every time is the best individual pockets stop the all important roll together with lots of padding over them
you should turn the matt head to toe and side to side every 2 weeks to even out the wear
if you like the idea of memory foam get a pocket sprung matt wth memory foam covering you will pay aprox £450-£550 depending on manufactuer although in my experience over the years you can pay 30-40% more for a branded name

not a common known factor but with aprox 40 matteress manufactuerers in the uk all vieig for sales/buisness they all get the actual spring units from only about 3 spring manufactuers and then add their own mark up depending on brand name eg well known or cost of the companys overheads
for many years i dealt with palatine which are based in newcastle low cost factory been producing for some 100 years and are good spec for the same money as well known suppliers but are identical inside

I think the springs inside a matt cost as little as £4 Shocked

Memory foam came out in europe about ten years ago with firms like tampa and they retailed at about £1000 they sold well in germany /denmark scandanivian countrys because of their environment green selling isssues and warmth in colder climates

They then moved to UK about 5 years ago retailing about the £600 mark then every manufactuerer did a copy of them dragging the retail price down to £400-£500 depending on size

they had great selling points for retailers as they could stock pile them and buy them cheaper (bakers dozen) was lots of profit on them and were mentioned in every good housekeeping style magazine and tv makeover programme as the best thing since sliced bread!!!

The bed manuf are in a panic state at the moment as the cheap imports are flooding the market from asia and people being tradionally tight when buying a bed would rather just buy a matteress and keep their old base Shocked

there fore profits are down and now every bed retailer survives on selling these roll up matteress and trying to fight the e-bay boys who are selling them as little as £220 for a king size and £8 delivery as carriers send them rather then a furniture van

the ebay boys are happy to make a tenner a matt and a couple of £ on delivery rather then a tradional furniture retailer who buys at aprox £180 for a king size then needs to sell at £400 to make a standard margin to survive as a buisness

so if you have set your heart on one you might as well ebay on but try them in the shops first !!

So are they any good ?
they feel so nice in a shop bouncy and moulds into your back the nice (as they always are) saleman will tell you all the wonderfull health benefits and take your money as they are the hottest property for bed shops at the moment easy cash sales all roll upped into your car and bye bye easy cash sale

you might even get a 10 year warrenty which is as much good as a stress free life guarentee Worthless !!!

they normally are 2 inch too small and will leave a gap around your bedframe especailly in a 5 size they mould to the small of your back but remember all foam will eventually soften sooner rather then later they become very warm in the summer as there is no springs and ventalation so the heat from your body is retained and remains in the matt so feels sticky ;

as they have only been mainstream for 4-5 years now no one know if they will last the 10 year lifespan of a decent £400 pocket sprung matt

my personal view is they Will not and go soft very quicky remeber pocket sprung have been out for 30 years and are well proven for quality and reliability

the market has gone even more downmarket with matteress toppers which is like putting a 1.1 litre replacement engine in a scooby Very Happy
you change a matt because the springs are sagging so WTF do you want to put a £70 piece of foam over the springs ? you might as well put a duvet over it !!

My personal advice buy a pocket sprung matt every time as next year the memory foam matts will be £99 and you dont get anything decent for that sort of money and a pocket sprung matt which can be bought now for as little as £250 will last you 10 years
maybe doesnt sound as modern ,hip or trendy as a magical memory foam mat but that is my honest and proffessional view with my vast experience in the bed market !!!

lordy who is now going to lie down on his luxury pocket sprung matteress who has lasted 12 years and is better then most matts in the shops today Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Old 11 March 2007, 10:34 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Some of what you say is true a lot is complete and utter bollox!
Old 11 March 2007, 10:56 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Tried a mattress topper. Slung it in the loft after about 6 months. My back and left hip were getting worse by the day. Now back to our firm sprung mattress and must say , joints are improving. Can't speak for the 'proper' memory mattresses, but I know from experience that I'll leave foam well alone from now on.
Yve
Old 11 March 2007, 10:58 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Einstein RA
Some of what you say is true a lot is complete and utter bollox!

well i having spent the last 24 years of my life as a senior general manager involved in beds /retailing with over 10 million in sales i think im quite qualified to get my points of view over

thats why i can retire at 40 :
Old 11 March 2007, 11:05 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lordharding
well i having spent the last 24 years of my life as a senior general manager involved in beds /retailing with over 10 million in sales i think im quite qualified to get my points of view over

Yep thanks mate do personally appreciatte your expert advice. thanks again for explaining it all in detail .

john
Old 11 March 2007, 11:11 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

its like sleeping on a bag of sand really dont like the pillows they are way too hard im going to stick to normal ones lol
Old 11 March 2007, 11:13 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Retailing but not manufacturing. I have been in the bedding industry since leaving school both the shop floor and retailing. In our area about three square miles we have about forty manufacturers so I don't see where you get your information from. The bed market is in fairly good shape so I cannot see where your panic comment comes from. Toppers are a viable solution and do work that's why they sell. The memory foam/pocket sprung combination mattresses are extremely comfortable and popular sellers, with the vast majority of our sales coming from recommendations.
Old 11 March 2007, 11:29 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Cool

Retailing but not manufacturing. I have been in the bedding industry since leaving school both the shop floor and retailing. In our area about three square miles we have about forty manufacturers so I don't see where you get your information from. The bed market is in fairly good shape so I cannot see where your panic comment comes from. Toppers are a viable solution and do work that's why they sell. The memory foam/pocket sprung combination mattresses are extremely comfortable and popular sellers, with the vast majority of our sales coming from recommendations.

Yeah I agree that toppers sell very well as a lot of the customers want a matteress as cheap as possible they think £100 is the price to pay !!!

its the same old thing the neighbours cant see it so lets have a cheap matteress and spend a grand on the new leather suite that they can show off to the neighbours

they havent really thought it out that they spend 3 hours a night on the sofa and 8 in bed but thats a lot of joe public for you !!!

i found that memory foam with pocket springs are selling well now sort of £400-600 price point which is ok

It will be interesting to see the market in 5 years time as the cheap and even cheaper matteress toppers (once Aldi/lidal homebase etc) start knocking them out mainstream for £30-50

wonder how long they will last ? 6 months?

the country will be full of people with bad backs ,restless nights and eventually the market should hopefully return to some better products made in the UK that will last better then the cheap foreign imports

but i do fear for all the UK firms fighting for their market share .
Old 11 March 2007, 11:30 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

by the size of the old thread he would be wise to stick to this one
Old 11 March 2007, 11:49 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Wink

Over at this wonderfull place called scooby net every subject is covered to help others

PS

whats the best electric toothbrush to clean my exhaust as the misses complaines that the one i bought her for xmas is no good !!!!
Old 12 March 2007, 09:13 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Interesting topic.

We've had a memory foam matress for about 3 years now, and I would never go back. And I have had back problems for years.

No, they won't last as long as traditional construction, but for me that's small price to pay.
Old 12 March 2007, 09:23 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

We bought a pocket sprung mattress with built in memory foam topper a couple of years ago (about £500ish IIRC) and have slept like logs ever since, it's supremely comfortable and I can't recommend one enough We went round lots of different bed stores and laid on loads of mattresses before we found our perfect one, the minute we laid on it we knew it was the one for us

We also bought a memory foam topper to take with us whenever we stay anywhere else as we can't cope without our lovely mattress
Old 12 March 2007, 09:48 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

I recently brought a tempur mattress, £1600. I have the delux, super king. Do I like it ? NO !!!!

I now wish I had brought the pocket sprung mattress I wanted, before my c*nt of a girlfriend nagged me into getting this tempur thing.

Believe me, sleeping on a tempur mattress is a totally different experience. Firstly, the very first time you sit on it, you know its different as it doesnt bounce, and you just absorb into it. It makes you realise how much a normal mattress aids your movement, ie. from getting up / out of bed, to moving around, the springs assist you. On this tempur things, you really do notice how much of a dead weight you and your body is.

Speaking to various owners, it seems it takes atleast 2/3 weeks to get used to these mattresses. Many people complain about them, saying how uncomfortable, crap they are.

I am slowly getting used to it, but on reflection, I wish I had taken up the 30 day free trail from tempur, as I would of sent the thing back now.

Laying on your back, its ok, but if you lay on your side, and you have your arm at right angles to your body, then your body absorbs into the bed, but your arm doesnt, as its not so heavy. This causes me much discomfort. Yes, I know that sounds picky, but it only takes little things to really ***** up your sleep.

I often get up, and go to the my spare room and sleep there, which has a lovely king size pocket sprung mattress.

So, to anyone thinking of buying one, take the 30 day trail first. Ok, you may pay a little more that if you shop around on the net, but its well worth trying it first.

Im considering buying one of those pillows now, anyone got a link to a cheap web site that sells them ??

SBK

Last edited by sbk1972; 12 March 2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12 March 2007, 11:19 AM
New_scooby_04

I got a kingsize memory foam matress (and bedstead) fairly recently (Thanks JTaylor)

One of the best purchases I've ever made. So comfortable and supportive. My quality of sleep has improved immeasurably; I actually look forward to hitting the hay now; it's a bit of luxury! I don't think I'd go back to springs!

Only downside is, it does get a bit toasty! Avoid the memory foam pillows for that reason - go with latex core ones.

Ns04
Old 12 March 2007, 11:47 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Get a decent pocket sprung mattress!! I've recently bought a Vi-Spring Regal Supreme and it's one of the best home items i've ever bought. Quality always shows in the end. What i would say though, is avoid the lower end models of any manufacturer - Vi-Spring included, as even though you're paying top money for the quality of manufacture etc, these lower spec beds skimp on fillings etc and will never perform as you'd hope. I also think the memory foam stuff is too much like hard work for the naughty stuff - you sink into it and it must be like ******** in quicksand!!
Old 12 March 2007, 11:48 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

These sleep discussions are all very well, but what are they like for having sex on?
Old 12 March 2007, 11:51 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

HAH! ^^^
Old 12 March 2007, 01:00 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by TelBoy
. I also think the memory foam stuff is too much like hard work for the naughty stuff - you sink into it and it must be like ******** in quicksand!!
LOL Reminds me of a joke:

A couple are going at it up against a fence adjacent to a farmyard. The fence collapses and an angry farmer comes out to inspect the damage.

"That's going to cost you £100" he says to the bloke.

"Are you going to go halves with me" the bloke says to his GF

"P*ss off; I was pushing the other way" replied the GF!

I'm not going to comment on the ease of ******** on a memory foam matress; way too much info for those who know me on here!!
Old 12 March 2007, 01:12 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

A friend of mine bought one of these foam matresses, I think just so he could brag about it because of the price.
Within a month he wanted rid but couldnt sell it second hand, after all who would buy someone elses mattress from them ...
So it got tipped. He claimed to have never slept on anything so uncomfortable...
Old 12 March 2007, 07:36 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Yeah I agree that toppers sell very well as a lot of the customers want a matteress as cheap as possible they think £100 is the price to pay !!!

its the same old thing the neighbours cant see it so lets have a cheap matteress and spend a grand on the new leather suite that they can show off to the neighbours

they havent really thought it out that they spend 3 hours a night on the sofa and 8 in bed but thats a lot of joe public for you !!!

i found that memory foam with pocket springs are selling well now sort of £400-600 price point which is ok

It will be interesting to see the market in 5 years time as the cheap and even cheaper matteress toppers (once Aldi/lidal homebase etc) start knocking them out mainstream for £30-50

wonder how long they will last ? 6 months?

the country will be full of people with bad backs ,restless nights and eventually the market should hopefully return to some better products made in the UK that will last better then the cheap foreign imports

but i do fear for all the UK firms fighting for their market share .
You're alright you know Apologies for my earlier indiscretion. Your comment about the sofa and mattress situation is so true and one which we are constantly remonstrating with customers about. The memory foam mattresses are a bit of a marmite thing either people love them or loathe them
there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. To be fair the complete foam based ones are less popular and one lady described it being akin to the bed swallowing her up like a horror film Due to the fact there is nothing to bolster as a spring does one can sink quite deep into them Therefore movement is hampered and if the foam is slow acting as it usually is it may take some time for the mattress to come up allowing you to adopt another position. In this respect the foam and sprung combinations work much better giving you the best of both worlds. Optimum comfort and support, the foam will give but only as far the spring which then does the job of supporting and holding you. As far as fillings go I would have to say latex is one of the best out there. It predates memory foam by a long time and whilst not being as instantly comfortable it is very supportive and durable due to it's dense nature. It will also give a more consistent feel for longer as the latex is a durable substance, it doesn't go flat like some fillings can. BTW Lord Harding being a salesman you do know the average lifespan of a good mattress is eight to ten years so get yours changed ya skinflint!

Quick Reply: memory foam matress / pillows ??