Can't remove Norton Antivirus V5

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2001, 09:46 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello everybody,

I just bought the latest Norton system works which has the current version of Norton Antivirus. The main reason I updated was so that Norton could scan my E mails, which my old version could not do. I had the version 5 Norton Antivirus, which came as a package with my PC when I bought it. Norton Antivirus 5 was pre installed on my PC from factory. It's a Packard Bell PC.

The problem is that the new version won't install because it asks me to remove the old version. I can't remove the old version because it is not listed in my add / remove programs and it does not have a remove option in the menu of Norton, possibly because it came pre installed on my PC.

I then tried to remove it with the Norton remove program but it would not let me. A box came up saying that it could not be removed because it was protected.

Is there any other way of removing it? Any help would be gladly appreciated.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 12/10/2001 9:47:27 PM]
Old 12 October 2001, 10:01 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Been there done that on my Mum & Dads Packard Bell! I too couldn't find Norton Anti Virus in the Add/Remove programs despite the newer version asking me to remove it this way. I also used Norton Remove, but this still didn't work. Eventually I ended up going into the registry (REGEDIT from the command prompt) and deleting the references to Norton in there (Obviously take care if you're changing the registry!). The new version then installed perfectly. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian.

P.S. I think I found the uninstall option after doing all this - hidden away in one of the menus from the 'Start' bar. Probably too late for this anyway if you've already used Norton Remove.

[Edited by Ian E - 12/10/2001 10:04:34 PM]
Old 12 October 2001, 11:51 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Wrexy,

It might be worth browsing the support pages on www.norton.com - theres some info on removing Norton in there.

Cheers,

Ian

P.S. frustrating isn't it! - you'd think it would be a virtually automatic installation.

[Edited by Ian E - 12/10/2001 11:52:50 PM]
Old 10 December 2001, 10:28 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ian.

Would you be able to give me some instructions on how to go into the registry please m8? I'm still in kindergarten when it comes to PCs.

The only options for Norton 5 I have in the Start bar (which Norton is in the tools section of the menu) are, Norton Antivirus on it's own and then in another menu still in tools, under extra is Norton Antivirus - plug into netscape navigator - Product support and Rescue disc.

Wrexy.
Old 10 December 2001, 10:32 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I should re phrase that. I can get into prompt which is MS DOS, but I have no idea what I would have to do in there.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 10 December 2001, 10:47 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

OK, I got in typed REGEDIT and I got the registry editor clicked on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and found Norton Antivirus there. Clicked on all the little + signs and bought up the following, shellex, Context menu handlers, a long number, Norton REG file, Defaultlcon, shell, edit, command, open, command and print command.

What do I do next?

Wrexy.
Old 10 December 2001, 10:49 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Wrexy,

Go to the Start Bar and select run.

Type in 'regedit' and press 'OK'

You should be presented with the registry and a tree like hierarchy.

Select:-

My Computer -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Symantec -> Norton Antivirus

(note exact path may be different - this is where Norton is on my own PC)

Right Click on Norton Antivirus

Select Delete and delete the branch

Exit from 'regedit'

Attempt to reinstall the new version of AntiVirus.

You must take care when editing the registry . Its probably worth backing up the registry using first the Registry - Export option from within 'regedit' - select ALL for export range.

Hope this makes sense - don't blame me if your PC never works again! Let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 10 December 2001, 10:57 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ian,

Thanks for the instructions m8. I found it exactly as you said. Top guided instructions m8. I'll back up first and then I'll delete it.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 10 December 2001, 11:17 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Ian,

I backed them up to "my documents", since it de faulted there, maybe the wrong place for this? and anyway, I then deleted the Norton tree. I re started the PC and it's back again. I tried it a second time and it's back again. Is it haunting me or what?

Wrexy.
Old 10 December 2001, 11:21 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

It doesn't matter where you back the registry up too - it was just in case you needed to revert back to it.

Have you definitely deleted the Norton branch from the registry? Have you tried reinstalling the new software after deleting the Norton branch? - this may still install even though it appears that the old version is still there (it probably checks the registry for a previous install).

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 10 December 2001, 11:38 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Ian,

I tried it m8 but it still won't let me install. Just tried it again, but the same thing, it's back. It definately dissapears from the list. But it does not dissapear from the start menu. If I re start the PC it appears on the registry list again or if I delete it and try to install the new version while the old one is off the registry list, without re starting the PC it still detects the old version and will not allow the install. Maybe the protection from the factory won't allow removal at all.

Wrexy
Old 11 December 2001, 12:04 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ian,

Thanks a million for your help m8. I appreciate all those replies you gave me, plus I learned something new tonight, about the registry. I'll have a look at the site and if i don't get anywhere I'll get in contact with Packard Bell. And yes it should have been an auto install. But I'd say Packard Bell have stuffed around with the old version. Didn't they know that some people like to update their software?

Too bad I have a stubborn machine or program. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Have a good night m8.

Cheers,

Wrexy
Old 11 December 2001, 04:09 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ian,

I have some great news.

I decided to do some more experimenting, so I went into the registry and decided to delete the whole Symantec tree and it did the trick. I now have the new Norton Antivirus 8.

Once again thanks very much for the top instructions, coz in the end they did indeed work.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 11 December 2001, 05:38 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Had the same problem (Packard Bell) and downloaded an uninstaller from the web. Problem is I've got such a ****e memory, I've forgotten where from . Use Google to find it.
Old 11 December 2001, 05:47 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

Glad you've sorted it