Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mobile Upgrade time..

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2007, 09:49 AM
Mogsi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mobile Upgrade time..

Yes it's that age old question... What Mobile..

Currently using an N70, and have to say other than speed issues I've not found it to bad.... However I quite fancy a change and none of the current Nokias float my boat so I'm looking at the Sony E's.....

Narrowed my choice down to:
W950i, I commute daily so the Walkman aspect could well replace my battered Ipod, although the lack of Wi-Fi and Camera is putting me off...
P990i ( I have noticed it took a battering on here when released ) however is anyone using it with the recent firmware updates ! It's fully loaded with toys but is it really that bad !

I do sync to outlook with my N70 so decent contacts and calendar is important..And I'm liking the idea of touchscreen

So any recommendations, anybody using the above phones care to comment or indeed suggest something else..!
Old 06 March 2007, 09:55 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mogsi
Yes it's that age old question... What Mobile..

Currently using an N70, and have to say other than speed issues I've not found it to bad.... However I quite fancy a change and none of the current Nokias float my boat so I'm looking at the Sony E's.....

Narrowed my choice down to:
W950i, I commute daily so the Walkman aspect could well replace my battered Ipod, although the lack of Wi-Fi and Camera is putting me off...
P990i ( I have noticed it took a battering on here when released ) however is anyone using it with the recent firmware updates ! It's fully loaded with toys but is it really that bad !

I do sync to outlook with my N70 so decent contacts and calendar is important..And I'm liking the idea of touchscreen

So any recommendations, anybody using the above phones care to comment or indeed suggest something else..!
P990i is now pretty much the phone it always should have been. I have one. I paid £4 to change the Vodafone CDA number (used to ID the phone on the update service) to the Generic World CDA. I then upgraded the firmware via the update service and there is no branding at all on my phone now. It's running the very latest firmware which is very good. There is another probably due soon as well further improving things.

As for what it can do well I still say it's the best available currently although the n95 will challenge that. I would say though I expect there to be several bugs with that on release as there always is and nokia are quite renowned for it with the N series.

P990i is now a great phone.
Old 06 March 2007, 12:34 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I have the N73 - as you say, sometimes a bit slow but otherwise a great phone.

I tried a SE (750i) and didn't like the Outlook synching. The Nokia seems to send the address as the 'primary' address if you have several for one name/contact. So for personal contacts this is their 'home' address (by 'primary' I mean the one that you 'tick' in Outlook). But the SE seemed to only send the 'business' address to the phone - no mater which address was ticked as primary. never did find a way around this.

Also, it only seemed to send some of the 'name' fields. I took ages to figure this out as several contacts had their first names dropped. I eventually found that the ones that had the problem had the names in the wrongs 'boxes' when you look at the 'name details' (where the box is brought up with 'prefix', first name etc). I fixed this but the Nokia seems to send all fields so \i never noticed before.

Never thought the K750 was any better than any of the Nokias I had had and the above with several minor menu 'quirks' meant that I went for a Nokia again and sold the e on Ebay ....

But then you'll get loads of people saying 'Nokia are cr*p, SE are the dogs' so you need to try them out ...

Dave
Isn't an N-series phone a symbian smart phone? the K750 is just a regular phone in that respect. Hard to compare the two IMHO.
Old 07 March 2007, 10:26 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

I have just bought an XDA orbit from O2 (available on T-Mobile as MDA III if you don't want/need wifi)

It's the best phone around atm (IMHO) Built-in GPS for navigating, WIFI, BLuetooth, 2Meg camera, FM Radio and based on the Windows operating system so loads of software to customise it and you can use it as an MP3/MP4 player......Jubbly (and a LOT smaller than the XDA's of old)
Old 07 March 2007, 10:30 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Blackberry pearl

chop