Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Animal cruelty

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2007, 12:06 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Animal cruelty

...is not just about dolphins. Here animals exported from Australia are slaughtered in North Africa and the Middle East.

I am not sure this is prevalent, but to me it is more stomach churning than the dolphin video.

Choose viewer

The bottom line is that animal slaughter is a global fact of life and it would seem wrong (no matter how horrific) to isolate the Japanese for their cruelty when animal trade and slaughter is an international business

Merino cruelty?

Rannoch

Last edited by Trout; 28 February 2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 28 February 2007, 12:10 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Cut to the chase......

How much money do you want this time?

Old 28 February 2007, 01:39 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Show me a way to Donate by Paypal and you've got my money mate, or failing that give me the name and addresses of some of those people, ideally the one who kicked the Sheep in the face and the Cow slasher! I'll sort the problem out
Old 28 February 2007, 07:43 AM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by Rannoch
...is not just about dolphins. Here animals exported from Australia are slaughtered in North Africa and the Middle East.

I am not sure this is prevalent, but to me it is more stomach churning than the dolphin video.

Choose viewer

The bottom line is that animal slaughter is a global fact of life and it would seem wrong (no matter how horrific) to isolate the Japanese for their cruelty when animal trade and slaughter is an international business

Merino cruelty?

Rannoch

Agreed mate.

The "human" race makes me sick.
Old 28 February 2007, 11:43 AM
velryba
Scooby Regular

Old 28 February 2007, 11:58 AM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

I know my comment in the previous thread was aimed at the Japanese and I feel justified in my comments as they were directly in response to the video with the dolphins. If the video had been of Venusians displaying cruelty toward Plutonian Gwarge Monsters I would have the same attitude toward Venusians.
I think we all understand that Animals cruelty happens worldwide and most people dispise it.
True the comments in the previous thread were all aimed toward the Japanese but it was a thread about japanese dolphin cruelty.

I'm sure if a thread regarding which rubber to put on a particular set of wheels comes up, comments on which rubber is best on the sole of hiking boots wouldn't be called for or expected.
Old 28 February 2007, 12:02 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

I won't even click on the links. Animal cruelty to me, is the the most vile, disgusting thing around.

Now I'm not some tree-hugging veggie, I've seen some $hitty things (Bosnia '92 and Iraq '03) but I would happily beat someone to death (and really would do) if I saw them being cruel and hurting an animal for their own (twisted) kicks.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:14 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by magepaster
I know my comment in the previous thread was aimed at the Japanese and I feel justified in my comments as they were directly in response to the video with the dolphins. If the video had been of Venusians displaying cruelty toward Plutonian Gwarge Monsters I would have the same attitude toward Venusians.
I think we all understand that Animals cruelty happens worldwide and most people dispise it.
True the comments in the previous thread were all aimed toward the Japanese but it was a thread about japanese dolphin cruelty.

I'm sure if a thread regarding which rubber to put on a particular set of wheels comes up, comments on which rubber is best on the sole of hiking boots wouldn't be called for or expected.
I posted this separately as I did not want to detract from the Japanese Dolphin Thread. My point is twofold. Condemnation of animal cruelty, based on the evidence presented, should not be limited to the Japanese, and secondly, many of those doing the condemning probably do not realise that similar levels of 'cruelty' are perpetrated in their own food chain. It is something that is hard to avoid.

Defining animal cruelty is hard thing without anthromorphising animal behaviour. One route is to be a devout Buddhist (don't kill any living things) or accept animal death and do your best to mitigate suffering.

IMHO stabbing a live cow repeatedly in the eyes to get it to lie down is probably inappropriate suffering whether anthromorphised or not. These cows are in the same supply chain that brings most of us wool, lamb and beef.

So, please feel free to condemn the Japanese if what they are doing is cruel, and in doing so perhaps take a broader look at the issues in hand. Brit in Japan was right, they eat dolphin the same way we eat beef or lamb.

Rannoch
Old 28 February 2007, 02:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Game fishing?
Old 28 February 2007, 02:31 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

A fair challenge and a conundrum I have personally not resolved.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:38 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I posted this separately as I did not want to detract from the Japanese Dolphin Thread. My point is twofold. Condemnation of animal cruelty, based on the evidence presented, should not be limited to the Japanese, and secondly, many of those doing the condemning probably do not realise that similar levels of 'cruelty' are perpetrated in their own food chain. It is something that is hard to avoid.

Defining animal cruelty is hard thing without anthromorphising animal behaviour. One route is to be a devout Buddhist (don't kill any living things) or accept animal death and do your best to mitigate suffering.

IMHO stabbing a live cow repeatedly in the eyes to get it to lie down is probably inappropriate suffering whether anthromorphised or not. These cows are in the same supply chain that brings most of us wool, lamb and beef.

So, please feel free to condemn the Japanese if what they are doing is cruel, and in doing so perhaps take a broader look at the issues in hand. Brit in Japan was right, they eat dolphin the same way we eat beef or lamb.

Rannoch
The people in the film are sick if they do not see what is wrong with what they are doing plain and simple.

Cruelty goes on on lots of countries including this one, not often as what appears to be a ritualistic and inhumane slaughter by a so called civilised race.

I hate to see anybody abusing animals and would/have stopped it.
People who enjoy this often go on to worse crimes - proven link.

As for slaughter houses then this should and must be done in the most humane way possible with the least amount of distress and suffering - if people go out of their way to make this process more painful or terrifying for the animals then they also need help!

How can anybody get their jollies frightening or torturing an animal???

Last edited by The Zohan; 28 February 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:40 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Or do what Thai Buddhists do, get Muslims to work in the slaughterhouses and kill the animals, thereby relieving themselves of the guilt. (Which is what most of the west does anyway)
Old 28 February 2007, 02:44 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I hate animal cruelty in any form but.....

Are we in a position to criticise their beliefs and cultures?
Old 28 February 2007, 02:47 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I wish I hadnt watched that PETA video, but everyone should. Horrifying, sadistic and brutal.. Why do these people have no compassion or respect for other creatures? It is beyond me.

D
Old 28 February 2007, 02:48 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I sort of resolved it (game fishing) a couple of years back when I was with my boy fishing in the Indian Ocean when he hooked a Sail Fish. A magnificant creature which kept breaking the surface as we pulled him in. My heart sunk as I realised what we had done. It fact he jumped the hook and made off. Palpable relief and we'll never do that again.

I saw some of the Dolphin stuff on TV and it made me feel angry and sad at the same time. Mostly, I suppose, because thay are so trusting of humans. Bit like the eyes of a baby seal looking pleadingly at you. Quite illogical but there you go.

In some parts of Africa they have an expression "Happy Meat" which basically means the more pain the animal goes through as it is killed the better it tastes. dl
Old 28 February 2007, 02:49 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

People often forget that humans are animals too.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:53 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
People often forget that humans are animals too.
Yes

In addition we understand what we are doing when we put animals through pain and suffering.

It is not right under and circumstances, no excuses IMHO
Old 28 February 2007, 02:54 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

sick.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:55 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Or do what Thai Buddhists do, get Muslims to work in the slaughterhouses and kill the animals, thereby relieving themselves of the guilt. (Which is what most of the west does anyway)
Then they are not true Buddhists. At the core of Buddhist practice is the practice of non-violence towards any creatures. Of course a much smaller population of people who call themselves Buddhists are adherents.
Old 28 February 2007, 02:59 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Yes

In addition we understand what we are doing when we put animals through pain and suffering.

It is not right under and circumstances, no excuses IMHO
No, you understand. A tribesman in Africa with ingrained beliefs and customs doesn't.

A Muslim/Arab in the middle east who believe that animals are worthless and to be used doesn't understand.

The Japanese don't understand the emotional attachment we have with dolphins and whales - they see them as big fish.

The rural Chinese don't understand the problem in using dried tigers *****, because of their spiritual and medical beliefs that have been ingrained over thousands of years.

Educating and modernising these people is the key to eradicating these practices. Not abusing them and their nations or social groups.
Old 28 February 2007, 03:04 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Then they are not true Buddhists. At the core of Buddhist practice is the practice of non-violence towards any creatures. Of course a much smaller population of people who call themselves Buddhists are adherents.
Depends largely on the combination of culture, the type of Buddhism and the number of precepts observed (and the seriousness of observing them)

If a person offers a Buddhist monk meat should he eat it or not?
Old 28 February 2007, 03:13 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

No, you understand. A tribesman in Africa with ingrained beliefs and customs doesn't.

A Muslim/Arab in the middle east who believe that animals are worthless and to be used doesn't understand.

The Japanese don't understand the emotional attachment we have with dolphins and whales - they see them as big fish.

The rural Chinese don't understand the problem in using dried tigers *****, because of their spiritual and medical beliefs that have been ingrained over thousands of years.

Educating and modernising these people is the key to eradicating these practices. Not abusing them and their nations or social groups.

I doubt the Japanese, for example, would take kindly to being "educated and modernised"

But I agree that different cultures have different outlooks. However I doubt that education and modernisation will really work.

Which takes us back to sanction/campaigning, starving the africans, nuking the arabs and blowing the Japanese fishing/whaling boats the **** out of the water
Old 28 February 2007, 03:14 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

That's as bad as anything i've ever seen. Jesus.
Old 28 February 2007, 09:08 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

The good news is that new standards are being set - although I would hate to big up a Kiwi!

Zque

Rannoch
Old 28 February 2007, 10:14 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I won't be opening those, Rannoch. I'd get too upset. I can't stand to see animals hurt
Old 28 February 2007, 10:18 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Open the one in post 24
Old 28 February 2007, 10:20 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I'm just a softie when it comes to animals
Old 28 February 2007, 10:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do that to people in the Middle East, I dont think they are going to bat an eyelid at a sheep or a cow. In fact the whole method of dispatching the cows seemed long winded, impractical and dangerous for the slaughterman which makes me think it was either done like that as they get a kick out of it or it was dragged out for the cameras. Why have a frightened, wounded animal wandering around, it doesnt make any sense ?
Old 28 February 2007, 11:55 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The good news is that new standards are being set - although I would hate to big up a Kiwi!
Get used to it, this year there is the rugby and cricket world cups, as well as the Americas Cup
Old 01 March 2007, 12:49 AM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
They do that to people in the Middle East, I dont think they are going to bat an eyelid at a sheep or a cow. In fact the whole method of dispatching the cows seemed long winded, impractical and dangerous for the slaughterman which makes me think it was either done like that as they get a kick out of it or it was dragged out for the cameras. Why have a frightened, wounded animal wandering around, it doesnt make any sense ?
Think you've hit the nail on the head there mate!!

I've worked with cows and tell you what.......I wanted to be out of their way! Granted, they weren't running round frantically trying to evade their "attackers", but if they wanted to have a go at you, they'd win!!

Watched the video and thought it was absolutely disgusting to see people treat animals like that. Fair enough.....if animals need to be slaughtered then have it done as "humanely" as possible. That doesn't include (I suspect) slashing tendons, following them round stabbing their eyes, slashing under their tails, dragging by the ears, blindfolding, etc, etc, etc.

SICK ******!!!!!