Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another petition - time the Government did away with Inheritance Tax

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2007, 09:09 AM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Location: I have ad blocked my rep - so dont waste your time!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waste of time for two obvious reasons:

1. IHT was paid by about 5 or 6% of estates last year - so it is effecting a small number of people.

2. The budget is round the corner - i'm no expert but i reckon the doing away with a multibillion pound revenue from a taxation approach that has been around since roman times would take a little more thinking about than what this petition offers.

"gets the press to highlight how many people do not want inheritance tax to exist"

if you had a poll saying income tax was lowered from 22 to 15% you would get just as many people saying "good idea"...and about as likely to happen!

Last edited by The Snug Rhino; 26 February 2007 at 09:11 AM. Reason: .
Old 26 February 2007, 10:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

This tax was initially intended to raise some money from the very rich members of society who owned houses in the value band for the tax. What has happened is that that band has not been effectively increased with inflation and house prices etc. so that more and more are unfairly dragged into having to pay it. Remember that the money it is paid on has already been taxed when it was counted as income, these are the principles that people are quite justified in complaining about.

If they want to make the taxes we pay more effective. then they should start by reducing the incredible waste in top heavy bureaucracy and handing our taxes out to people who do not deserve it.

Les
Old 26 February 2007, 11:35 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Question for those wanting to scrap IHT - How will you replace the lost revenue?
Old 26 February 2007, 12:16 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Wait for the next election .............
Old 26 February 2007, 12:56 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

I agree the money has to come from somewhere, but maybe someone can fill me in on what's really wrong here.

Say my uncle dies (or who-ever, doesn't matter), and leaves me his house.

It's worth £300k, so I have to pay tax on £15k (300-285)?

So what? I've just been given over £285k.

Did I have to do anything for it? No.

Was it mine?

No.

I'm confused!
Old 26 February 2007, 01:05 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Inheritance tax is paid on anything over £285k right? Well there are a hell of a lot of houses in this country worth well over that .

so what?

you have to be dead...the average dead person is old in a house worth less than the nil band -hence so few people ACTUALLY pay it.

its not a big deal to most people.
Old 26 February 2007, 01:05 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I completely agree with inheritance tax. Those of you moaning are just being greedy as far as I am concerned.
Old 26 February 2007, 02:08 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Has he paid tax on the capital gain? Which would be substantial.
Old 26 February 2007, 02:11 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

And this is the reason IHT is fair - It is the person that gets taxed, not the item. The fact the property has already had taxed paid on it in the form of stamp duty, or through money earned to pay mortgage payments is irrelevant.

For example, a used car salesman still has to pay tax on the profit of cars he sells - That same car may have has tax paid on it many times over. You dont not tax him just because the car has already been subject to it.

As it stands you get a tax free lump sum of up to £285k, that's pretty bloody good. You could argue it should be set slightly higher due to the disparity between the threshold rasies and the average house price raise in the last 10 years (around 30% versus over 100%) However, you cant raise and lower the threshold on a yearly basis, it wouldn't be fair. So you have to take a long term view on it.

Always remember, it is the person that is taxed, not the item. In that respect, IHT is completely fair.
Old 26 February 2007, 02:13 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course they have to tax you this much. How else can the government be expected to pay for all of the jobs they have created since coming to power?
Old 26 February 2007, 02:15 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Signed
Old 26 February 2007, 02:19 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'

Say my uncle dies (or who-ever, doesn't matter), and leaves me his house.

It's worth £300k, so I have to pay tax on £15k (300-285)?

:
Is that right? I thought it was a limit that once you went over you paid tax on the whole amount?

(happy to be wrong )

Steve
Old 26 February 2007, 02:23 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

You're wrong ! (You're thinking of stamp duty )

D
Old 26 February 2007, 02:28 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

They don't replace it, how about a really difficult concept for the Government to understand is actually put in place, they spend what tax they currently take from us and spend/budget it responsibly instead of wasting it
The current revenue from IHT is £3.3Bn

That is a pretty big hole to fill, either through raisng other taxes or cutting back services. Considering we already have a tax shortfall I would say the likelyhood of IHT being abololished in the short term is zero.

As for the conservatives, thier recent think tank suggested replacing IHT with a form of capital gains tax, exempting family homes. It would also scrap the child tax credits to any family not in the basic tax rate band (i.e. anyone earning over £7,185). (by the way, the low tax band would be abolished entirely and replaced with a higher tax free allowance) It would abolish tax releif on film making and R&D.

There is no free ride - You cannot cut £3.3bn out of the public purse and not either replace it elsewhere, or cut back services.
Old 26 February 2007, 02:31 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Is that right? I thought it was a limit that once you went over you paid tax on the whole amount?

(happy to be wrong )

Steve
No, Dunk/ru are right, you pay on anything over £285k, same as with the higher tax rate, you pay 40% on anything over £33300 (plus your tax releif, so effectively £37500 or thereabouts)
Old 26 February 2007, 03:13 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

How anyone can say this is a fair tax is beyond me
I am working hard and saving and investing for my kids, so when I croak, they can have as much as possible. Bearing in mind, to do all of this I have paid taxes on just about everything apart from ear wax. Why should my kids have to pay tax again.
Old 26 February 2007, 03:15 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Get back in the hutch mrs 84 its not safe in here
Old 26 February 2007, 03:30 PM
Bluie
Scooby Regular

Been working in IHT planning for nearly 15 years and find this crops up ever year around Budget time.

The present Government and indeed the previous one will not push forward plans to get rid of the tax, as they would be left with a massive tax hole that would need plugging. Joy public still believes that IHT is a tax on the rich so it is not a vote winner. If you ask if their take home pay is increased by favourable taxation then they will vote accordingly.

Also it has always been regarded as a voluntary Tax as much planning can be done to reduce and underpin the tax. A married couple can have assets worth £570,000 and with the right planning leave it all to beneficiaries with no tax.

Certainly in the last few years a number of opportunities have been closed but still much can be done.
Old 26 February 2007, 03:36 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Bluie
Been working in IHT planning for nearly 15 years and find this crops up ever year around Budget time.

The present Government and indeed the previous one will not push forward plans to get rid of the tax, as they would be left with a massive tax hole that would need plugging. Joy public still believes that IHT is a tax on the rich so it is not a vote winner. If you ask if their take home pay is increased by favourable taxation then they will vote accordingly.

Also it has always been regarded as a voluntary Tax as much planning can be done to reduce and underpin the tax. A married couple can have assets worth £570,000 and with the right planning leave it all to beneficiaries with no tax.

Certainly in the last few years a number of opportunities have been closed but still much can be done.
I need to get myself a Financial advisor I want all of what I gather to go to my kids, not the tax man
Old 26 February 2007, 06:23 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't expect you to agree with getting rid of it Tiggs as you make your living from people doing their utmost to avoid it and asking you how.

And to answer the others about greed, the money being taxed has already been taxed once.
my "living" has nothing to do with it - its like saying Dr's dont want a cure for cancer because thats their job over. If IHT was ablished tommorow i would still make a living!

and a lot of the money isnt double taxed - as everyone is so keen to state house prices are the bulk of the problem for many....and that growth has been tax free.

all the people giving it the "i'm saving for my kids"...really? placing it in trusts are you? if so - whats your problem?
Old 26 February 2007, 08:03 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Inheritance tax is paid on anything over £285k right? Well there are a hell of a lot of houses in this country worth well over that and when the owners die their relatives either stump up a massive tax bill or have to sell their relatives home to pay for it. That is just wrong. Its grave robbery.

So raise it to 500k then.
If you abolish inheritance tax you have to raise other taxes to match it. I for one dont fancy paying higher petrol tax to make up for Mr Johnny Millionaire's lower tax bill from the abolition of IHT.
Old 26 February 2007, 08:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a foot in both camps, whilst I obviously would want to realise as much of my cash to go to my kids, or my parents estate to come to me, there is an element of, so what, you are getting an effing big wedge so stop moaning.
Old 27 February 2007, 11:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Question for those wanting to scrap IHT - How will you replace the lost revenue?
Did you actually read the post immediately previous to yours?

Les
Old 27 February 2007, 02:54 PM
The Snug Rhino
Scooby Regular

bottom line is that a married couple get £600k in allowance as of april - you are NEVER going to get a tax changed when it doesnt affect those with less than that amount...as thats a LOT of people!

Quick Reply: Another petition - time the Government did away with Inheritance Tax