Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: I Think Top Gear is...
great entertainment, leave it alone!
51.27%
good entertainment but is starting to loose its way...
31.98%
ok but they obviously don't have enough material to fill an hour so they cock around instead
12.18%
pants and I've completely lost interest.
4.06%
what is Top Gear?
0.51%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Top Gear - The general Consensus

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2007, 10:03 PM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear - The general Consensus

As this popular show seems to be cause for arguments lately, lets see what the overall feeling on it is.

We could always send the results to Clarkson and co. Give him something new to take the **** out of...

Do you think:
a) It's great entertainment, leave it alone!
b) It's good entertainment but is starting to lose its way...
c) It's ok but they obviously don't have enough material to fill an hour so they just **** around to fill in the gaps
d) It's pants and I've completely lost interest.
e) What is Top Gear?

Last edited by DaFox; 25 February 2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: I'm welsh and can't spell
Old 25 February 2007, 10:15 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Yep its starting to wane a little now. Especially when it turned out the camping bit was staged no every time they do something it *always* goes wrong. Like tonight with the tractor reversing. There where lots of expensive motors and alledgely a 'one-off' astra which looked like a normal astra and then hammond reversed into it! He would have seen it plain and simple and for me that is taking the edge off of it.

Gary
Old 25 February 2007, 10:15 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

B) i think most of it is ok but some of the stunt are just dull and boring.last week their launching a plastic pig shuttle .this week their pissing about ploughing as a car nut its sh*t.go back about 2 series was when it was good.cool cars some normal cars and a few stunts a good mix
Old 25 February 2007, 10:20 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I voted B, but it's "lose", not "loose".
Old 25 February 2007, 10:22 PM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

Since this show started they:
dug up a road - now that's hardly car related
launched a robin shuttle - car related by the skin of it's teeth
and oops I missed last nights but I'm not particularly arsed!!
The trip to the states that was great entertainment and actualy featured cars. everything else has been crap.... OH AND ANOTHER THING THAT'S REALLY STARTING TO BOIL MY ****.... EVERY WEEK CLARCKSON ASKS THE AUDIENCE:
"WHO WANTS TO SEE #### IN THE REASONABLY PRICED CAR?"
OF COURSE WE WANT TO ****ING SEE IT!! WE WOULDN'T TWATTING BE HERE IF WE DIDN'T!!!!!!!
Old 25 February 2007, 10:24 PM
BEW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DaFox
Old 25 February 2007, 10:25 PM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I voted B, but it's "lose", not "loose".
My bad, sorry
Old 25 February 2007, 10:28 PM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BEW
Well come on... It doesn't take a highly paid BBC executive to realise that the average Top Gear viewer wants to see cars going fast and couldn't give a rats **** about how tarmac is layed...
Old 26 February 2007, 03:24 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Just Like train track isnt train related....

Old 26 February 2007, 10:08 AM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Just Like train track isnt train related....

Can't think of anything constructive to contribute, then don't contribute

So many members on this forum I guess it's going to have more than it's fair share of *****.
Old 26 February 2007, 10:22 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Where's the "Ok for now but let's see what happens when Richard Hammond is fully recovered and able to film new car features again" option?
Old 26 February 2007, 10:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it still has all the potential but they need to vary the material a bit more-like the Catherine Tate show, which was very funny, it is beginning to look too much the same each week.

Les
Old 26 February 2007, 10:56 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

There must be a thread about this every Monday At least there are more people voicing their concerns. The show has totally lost the plot. It's all about 200,000 grand supercars or 3 clueless ***** reliving their puberty in utterly pointless scripted 'stunts'.

I do agree that there are probably more people watching the show now, but let's be honest, when was that ever a yardstick for something quality? TopGear used to be a fairly niche programme catering for the needs of petrolheads who had no other programmes devoted to them. It was a quality slot that compared and group tested 'average' cars against each other and new models. Now unless there are 3 cars available with 5 noughts on the end of the price tag you don't see group testing. HTF is that relevant to the average motorist?

JC used to be light relief in the programme and he was fairly restrained amongst the more serious presenters, now the loon is running the asylum.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:25 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

who now thinks Fifth Gear is getting better the Top Gear because it actually shows car related stuff....
Old 26 February 2007, 11:36 AM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

I wouldn't go that far just yet. I can't help but feel that Fifth Gear is aimed at kids. Find it quite patronising.
Old 26 February 2007, 11:42 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I must be a very small minority here but i think it is complete crap.

wtf has tractors got to do with motoring.

10 minutes of good stuff the rest is normally waffle.

Ok as an entertainment show its ok as a motoring show its rubbish.

sorry jmho
Old 26 February 2007, 11:48 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

im just expecting the nsr opinion on the TG is better than FG, FG is sh1te bollox to turn 360...
Old 26 February 2007, 11:50 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan
im just expecting the nsr opinion on the TG is better than FG, FG is sh1te bollox to turn 360...
Don't you mean 180
Old 26 February 2007, 12:04 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

yeah i know what i meant, theyre starting to hate TG love FG and back full circle, its just hard keeping up with nsrs changing opinions...
Old 26 February 2007, 12:25 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

My bad, sorry
Your bad what?

Another annoying Americanism that means absolutely nothing!

Your bad education?
Your bad spelling?
etc, etc.

Sorry, it's one of those days today and the lose / loose issue and my bad are two of my extreme pet hates
Old 27 February 2007, 06:00 PM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Your bad what?

Another annoying Americanism that means absolutely nothing!

Your bad education?
Your bad spelling?
etc, etc.

Sorry, it's one of those days today and the lose / loose issue and my bad are two of my extreme pet hates
I'm sorry... ...I'm sorry your life isn't fulfilling enough that you have to belittle others on a public forum.
I may not have a higher education.
My english spelling is not great but neither is my welsh or spanish however I am fluent in all three... How many languages do you speak?

To use another Americanism: You really should get out more.
Old 27 February 2007, 06:16 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry... ...I'm sorry your life isn't fulfilling enough that you have to belittle others on a public forum.
I may not have a higher education.
My english spelling is not great but neither is my welsh or spanish however I am fluent in all three... How many languages do you speak?

To use another Americanism: You really should get out more.

WOW!

A little chopsy aren't we after only 12 posts.
Old 27 February 2007, 06:31 PM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

Too harsh?
Old 27 February 2007, 06:45 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I have the answer..

Well.. this site does -

way out west: Is "Top Gear" illustrative of the contemporary cultural paradigm shift?
Old 27 February 2007, 06:47 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Not too harsh at all, as I said, it was a bad day, and "my bad" is such a bad use of modern English.

Not spoken French, German or Latin since GCSE at school, and I don't really count C, C++, VB, Perl, etc. as languages in the same context

I wasn't belittling, I was asking a question as to whether or not you actually had a grasp on what you were saying when you said "my bad". The English language is free, it would just help if people understood what they were saying when they used it.

I consider myself to be out and about enough for my liking

So, what does "my bad" mean? I know what it is supposed to mean, but have you stopped to think what "my bad" actually means on its own? My mistake, I can understand, but not "my bad".

Thanks for the personal insults. It's always good to have a rational conversation

Last edited by Hanslow; 27 February 2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 27 February 2007, 07:10 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And come to think of it I DON'T even want to see the star in the reasonably priced car. I'd rather see some Girls Aloud taking something bloody expensive round the track and wrecking it.
Old 27 February 2007, 07:19 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
And come to think of it I DON'T even want to see the star in the reasonably priced car. I'd rather see some Girls Aloud taking something bloody expensive round the track and wrecking it.
And I was thinking that was just the kind of stupid, yet extremely amusing, type of stunt that most people who are whinging about Top Gear don't like!?
Old 27 February 2007, 07:27 PM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

I think this series is a bit of a one off. If you think about it, the show was pretty much ready to air when Hammond had his accident. Then filming was halted completely until it was clear he was going to make a full recovery. At that point, all of the filming, bar the funny features (which you'll notice, were filmed in summer/autumn, before the accident), were out of date. Who wants to hear about cars that came out 6 months ago and everyone else has already reviewed?

So much of the filming probably had to be scrapped and started all over again, but the pressure to get a new series out, added to the time of year, being a presenter down, and other commitments, they were probably a bit short on time.

I think these features were intended to be more spread out, more than likely across more than one series, but instead events meant they needed to use the material to pad out a series they were under pressure to produce. I'll judge after the next series.
Old 27 February 2007, 08:33 PM
DaFox
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Not too harsh at all, as I said, it was a bad day, and "my bad" is such a bad use of modern English.

Not spoken French, German or Latin since GCSE at school, and I don't really count C, C++, VB, Perl, etc. as languages in the same context

I wasn't belittling, I was asking a question as to whether or not you actually had a grasp on what you were saying when you said "my bad". The English language is free, it would just help if people understood what they were saying when they used it.

I consider myself to be out and about enough for my liking

So, what does "my bad" mean? I know what it is supposed to mean, but have you stopped to think what "my bad" actually means on its own? My mistake, I can understand, but not "my bad".

Thanks for the personal insults. It's always good to have a rational conversation
I was rational and I wasn't aware that I had thrown in any insults, meerly observations and suggestions.

What ever happened to freedom of speech? This is a car forum for people of all walks of life. I didn't come on here to have my use of language corrected. Personally, I don't have a problem with Americans. I've spent a lot of time over there and quite enjoyed myself.

I know you about as well as you know me. What did I do to deserve to be the object of your frustration for the day (oh yes, I failed my scoobynet English exam!).

I treat all with the same respect/contempt I'm shown.
Old 27 February 2007, 10:00 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find freedom of speech has been eroded by our current government, but that's a different point. I didn't come on here to read bad english spelling and grammar, but unfortunately it appears to be a more and more common sight. I don't have a problem with Americans per se, the ones employed by our company are very pleasant people. There are nice and not so nice people from all walks of life, American, English, Welsh, etc.

So I asked you if you could explain the use of a particularly bad Americanism and whether it actually made any sense, which you have not yet answered. Do a search on google for "My Bad" and you'll find a number of theories on original sources, none of which are complementary.

I'd be quite happy to be queried on my spelling and grammar and if somebody highlights an inadequacy then I will have learnt something and improved my use of the English language. I thought we had some intelligent people on here who could offer and listen to advice throughout life, I guess I was generous with my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Top Gear - The general Consensus