Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How to claim off the council for damage done due to half the road missing...

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2007, 01:53 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A mate from work managed to get the local council to cough up for a new wheel.
Make sure you take photos and when you do take photos use a tape measure so you can see how much of a drop it is when taking a picture.
May take a couple of attempts but i`d say they should be a good chance of them paying up.
Old 25 February 2007, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you have got a good case and that they should certainly pay for your damage.

As said, get a good stack of photo's and if necessary a certificate of damage from an expert of some kind.

I believe that digital phots are not acceptible in Law because of "photoshop" etc. so better use an ordinary camera. Don't say anything to the council or the repairers until you have got the evidence of course or the road will be miraculously put right.

Les
Old 25 February 2007, 12:48 PM
RUDDY
Scooby Regular

i think the knackered road has to be reported by someone for you to get a claim! so if someone has reported it but they ignored ot you will then be able to claim! for pot holes anyway!
Old 25 February 2007, 01:03 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Leslie

an expert of some kind.

There's 66,550 of them on here, he's spoilt for choice
Old 25 February 2007, 01:21 PM
ralphandcarol
Scooby Regular

Over the years I have made four claims for similar damage.
I think in this case you will probably end up claiming from the Highways Agency as it is they that are responsible for road repairs.

All I can say is STICK TO YOUR GUNS if the claim does end up against the HA as they will try every way possible to wriggle out of paying up, I speak with previous experience of this. Councils on the other hand normally just roll over and pay up without any problem.
Phone your local council 1st thing Monday morning and see if they know (probably not, as you will only be dealing with an office boy/girl) who will be responsible, them or the HA. Get them to send a claims form anyway.

If you have not done so already take 2 x images of every picture or get the pictures developed twice, one set for you and the other to send away to whoever, and always keep the negs because pictures seem to have a habit of " I am ever so sorry sir, we don't seem to have received your pictures with the claim form" disappearing.
Old 25 February 2007, 02:25 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

I work as an insurance claims advisor.

Yes, a claim can be made for this type of damage. You should write to the council to confirm what happened, providing an estimate for repairs. Ask the council who was carrying oout the work on that section of the road - it could have been a someone other than the council.

The council have a duty to maintain the highways and when roadworks are carried out they must be clearly signed and lit. When you write to them , mention the time of the incident and what lighting there was, if any.
Old 25 February 2007, 07:03 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

We got a wheel and tyre and the costs of a suspension check-up. The council refused liability, their insurers refused liability, we issued small claims court notice and the testement of a witness whom lived on the road and could verify with copies of dated letters that the road had been in disrepair for some considerable time and fully reported. They buckled and paid.

New damage has to be repaired within 7 working days of a report being submitted. If it's still there and causes damage thereafter then they're liable. They have a duty of care to inspect the roads and repair any defects, but this could be as infrequently as bi-annually, so any damage occurring between inspections they are not liable for unless they are notified by a member of the public.

Could be a good marketing tool for a wheel & tyre company to set up a website where you can report potholes, citing location, date and uploading photographic evidence
Old 26 February 2007, 12:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
There's 66,550 of them on here, he's spoilt for choice
Alright,"accredited" then.

Les