Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Blairs reply to road pricing petition.

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2007, 08:01 AM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I for one welcome the reply!

HOWEVER, people are just NOT going to accept this system -even at this early stage- untill 4 fundamental assurances are given:

1) That congestion charging will not be IN ADDITION to current levels of fuel duty (2nd highest in Europe IIRC) and road tax.

2) That tracking information WILL NOT be used to monitor speed or information about our whereabouts misused by the authorities

3) That we will not have to foot a massive bill to have such systems installed!

4) That money will ALL go to improving public transport (tax revenue from the motorist certainly doesn't now), which is the real solution to congestion!

That's before the critical issue of how much should be charged for road useage at various times is calculated! We all understand that this requires more consultation.

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 21 February 2007 at 08:19 AM.
Old 21 February 2007, 08:07 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

And if they want people to stagger journey times in to work, i.e. work flexible hours, then are we going to change the hours that schools open for exampe so that parents can drop their kids off at 7 and pick them up at 3?

How is that going to work?
Old 21 February 2007, 08:17 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I don't really care about assurances - once the infrastructure exists, it can be abused. The present government, even if it actually sticks to its promises, cannot control how the system might be used once it is no longer in power. I think a lot of people on both sides of the argument are missing this important point, and it is therefore imperative that the infrastructure not exist at all.

I think that helping people to stagger their journey times is actually the answer. The problem isn't total road capacity, or even total train capacity - it's peak capacity. Flexible working arrangements for all employees (unless their job function clearly mandates otherwise) would enable enough people to travel outside peak hours to alleviate congestion - after all, nobody ever queues in traffic for fun or unless they can't help it.
Old 21 February 2007, 08:39 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

The petition was written by a comic/simpleton. The BBC commisioned a reporter to look into road pricing. Said reporter stuck his finger in the air, came up with a load of 'what ifs' and stuck it on BBC Breakfast.
Those with any spark who watched it dismissed it as ambiguous hypothesis but some plnkas took it as gospel and some conspiracy theorists got all tetchy about Big Brother issues...
Prior to the BBC report nothing had been decided, no figures had been given, it was just, as Bliar suggests an option for the distant future that should not be ruled out.
The petition became a glorified chain mail, like warning of a mysterious bug that will wipe your hard drive unless you send the warning on to 10 of your friends (if you get 10 replies your a special friend indeed ).
People were signing it ***** nilly without investigating the available facts.

Then the media jumped on the bandwagon. It was a story that a wopping 2% of the population cared enough to sign a petition about, without the right facts which in my eyes made the whole thing worthless.

I hate Blair but I hate the public more for getting emotive about something they know nothing about.

When a petition comes out which states both sides of the facts based on the actual proposal for the road pricing then I may be the first in the queue to sign up (if the facts sway me that way)...
Old 21 February 2007, 08:41 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I just don't believe a single word the government has to say on any subject.

The only blatantly obvious thing to me is,kids off school on half term,roads are fine
Old 21 February 2007, 08:42 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

got mine this morning as well.

can we all reply to this????
Old 21 February 2007, 08:47 AM
Daz-WRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I think that helping people to stagger their journey times is actually the answer. The problem isn't total road capacity, or even total train capacity - it's peak capacity. Flexible working arrangements for all employees (unless their job function clearly mandates otherwise) would enable enough people to travel outside peak hours to alleviate congestion - after all, nobody ever queues in traffic for fun or unless they can't help it.
I totally aggree with that because I work night shifts permenantly and I never get stuck in traffic.

Also has any one else noticed that Saturday teatime is now like Sunday afternoon used to be, there's now't on the roads near us.
Old 21 February 2007, 08:49 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Any form of congestion charging has the fundamental problem that the rich do what they want, and the poor are priced off the road.

If certain things we are doing are so bad for the environment, then they need to be banned, rather than becoming some sort of political target to rake in revenue. An example being 4x4s inside the London CC zone. £25 per day is proposed...why? What do they do with the extra £17? They cannot buy a clean planet, or even a clean city atmosphere with the extra money.

If they are so bad then they should be banned, not seen as a cash cow letting the rich do what they want.....and make them into even more of a status symbol than they are now
Old 21 February 2007, 08:50 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Chief

Yes, but lets make it constructive as a big , won't be well received, even if it is how most people feel.

Can we have a sticky on this thread (or another) so as people can post constructive criticism. Then it can be emailed to No. 10
Old 21 February 2007, 08:53 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Yes that could be a plan, but when we reply (if indeed we can) lets send the text in full rather than just a link Chances of them clicking in the link is like near zero, maybe just maybe they will read it if its in front of their face.
Old 21 February 2007, 09:07 AM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I think companies could help the situation by granting employees flexible hours and / or the option of working from home if their job can be done from home on certain days.

I work as an IT Manager for a company in Reading (I commute from Kingston) and have the odd day working from home if I don't have something arranged that requires me to be in the office. I have set up remote Access to the head office network via secure hardware-based VPN's for any staff that can work from home (connect to the office network via your Broadband), including VOIP phones so they can all call the office free of charge from home. I can remotely access anyone's PC using remote desktop to resolve problems from home, or anywhere else on the Wide Area Network.

I'm not saying that employees should work from home every day, only that they can have the option to do so if they don't need to turn up at the office to complete a days work.

If enough companies adopted a similar scheme, overall congestion would be reduced as different people from different businesses would have different days working from home.

If there are any Managing Directors / CEO's reading this, give it some thought - your the people that could reduce the chances of a road pricing scheme being introduced!

Cheers

Anders

Last edited by Anders_WR1; 21 February 2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 21 February 2007, 09:10 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Yes, absolutely. My contract states 9am - 5.30pm, but it really wouldn't make a whole lot of difference if I started and finished an hour earlier or later. A lot of our software guys could work from home, at least one or two days a week, but the boss won't have it.
Old 21 February 2007, 09:20 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

The idea of staggered work times is a good one. The problem is that you will need to free up massive amounts of capacity to make it work. There are currently lots of people who would like to drive somewhere but don't. They delay the trip to some other point due to the amount of traffic on the roads. As soon as you start to free up some capacity, these people come out onto the roads.
Old 21 February 2007, 09:22 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes congestion is an issue, but nobody seems to be asking why the roads are congested. Why are people buying cars rather than using public transport? Is charging people more to use their car, actually going to get people using public transport instead? Here's a little example of why it will just end up being a tax rather than solving the issue;

I live 8 miles from work, I could cycle, but the lack of shower at work combined with the need to lug a laptop and briefcase in to work each day don't make this the most practical of solutions.

I could get the train with a change an a bus Journey each end, taking a little over 2 hours compared to the usual 20 minutes and costing about £8 each way, so about £160 per week compared to the £20 in fuel.

I could do it by bus, 3 changes and 2 1/2 hours at a cost of £6.80 each way per day or £68 per week.

So congestion may be slowing me down in the car, but it's still massively faster and cheaper and more convenient than public transport.
Old 21 February 2007, 09:29 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

with regards to a staggered working day wont people just end up working longer hours i.e. starting earlier and finishing later to avoid charges - not a good idea

Last edited by The Chief; 21 February 2007 at 11:32 AM.
Old 21 February 2007, 09:43 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by lozgti
kids off school on half term,roads are fine
Completely agree with this

I personally don't drive to work as I commute by train to London.... but I do have to cross a major road into Bedford on my walk to the station and every period when the schools are off this road is practically empty. When the kids are in school there are traffic queues as far I the eye can see!!

Andy
Old 21 February 2007, 09:45 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

People will still drive the same amount as they do now, it won't change congestion in the long term whatsoever, it will just give the gov't more income.

The people this will hit the most are car enthusiasts, such as us lot who drive for actual pleasure.
Old 21 February 2007, 09:47 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if any of the ministers cars would have the little 'black box' put in and would they pay for road pricing?
Old 21 February 2007, 09:54 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A sentence that jumps out at me:

Clearly if we decided to move towards a system of national road pricing, there could be a case for moving away from the current system of motoring taxation. This could mean that those who use their car less, or can travel at less congested times, in less congested areas, for example in rural areas, would benefit from lower motoring costs overall.
Note the word "could" rather than "would" to avoid a definitive promise of removing tax from fuel, road licence, car insurance (IPT) etc. I would be prepared to bet good money that fuel taxation and road fund licence will not be scrapped.

We need to keep fighting on this one

Why introduce a system that requires huge (and i mean huge) investment (read waste) of our money into tracking movements in vehicles when the existing fuel duty already does the job of pricing per mile covered. Does that stop the mileage being put on?

Why would a supposedly tax nuetral system of road pricing do that?

Or maybe there is another reason they want to track movement:

- they can track speed that we are going .... mmm who needs speed cameras
- they can pinpoint any of us on a map at any time .... mmm wonder what would happen if (read when) that info got into the wrong hands

oh and how long before a technowizard develops an illegal blocker for the p.a.y.g. system?

It rages me to think that we will stand by and watch this stealth tax and big brother invasion of civil liberties and spying get dressed up as a "green" bill for our own good.

Complete tosh - wake up people.

The solution is not enforcement - it is quite the contrary it is about education and incentivising people to be greener.

As I said, fuel charges have not dented the amount people drive, it has just raised revenue for some other labour back pocket scam.

What they havent answered with this is:

- will foreign cars be exempt? (hmmm ... i see a loophole)
- will hire cars be exempt? (another loophole waiting for exploitation)
- will uk cars registered to foreign nationals be exempt
- how will they then encourage people to make days trips to our failing tourist attractions? (they will fail and cause huge hikes in unemployment in old tourist areas like GY or Sunny Hunny etc)
- how they will ensure that people that havent paid their £200 to be in the scheme arent on the road? (another waste of time job for pc185 and his colleagues rather than catching proper criminals)

Maybe I am scare mongering and they will sign gtees that the data from the gps based tracking devices arent used for anything else, but I dont trust them as far I can throw them and if the technology is there it will get used to trap us "criminals" that might, where safe to do so, exceed a speed limit in a rural area or Motorway....

As the Bliar said, this is not the end, it is the beginning... (hmmm havent we heard that before ?) but they are already progressing several road pricing schemes in towns and cities around the country without public referendums which will, I am sure, have their boundaries extended like the Central London one has had this week until there are narrow corridors of motoring between them.

This isnt just about the private motorist, it will put many haulage, courier and transport related businesses in a seriously dire competitive position against european companies that will be able to muscle in to the country to offer those services without pay per mile charges.

Angry is an understatement from my point of view.
Old 21 February 2007, 10:06 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

My solutions to congestion:

Free School buses (which I used to have to my high school 6 miles away, yet have now been scrapped after year 8 apparently) for say - children who live more than 2 miles away from school. Of course this won't stop the majority of bone idle parents and kids. I picked up my nephew from playschool the other week and was horrified to see that the bike sheds - that used to be overflowing whatever the weather when I was at first/middle school (I'm 28, so not THAT long ago), were practically empty.

Scrap Road Tax (As I'm not sure what it pays for anyhow - not the roads or transport it seems)

Increase Fuel Duty (There, a pay-as-you-drive without needing the expensive infrastructure).

Do more to encourage car share schemes and working from home.

Reverse the privatisation of the public transport system, actually run them as businesses by people who know what they're doing and plough that profit back into the infrastructure. Provide tax breaks for companies who use Rail frieight instead of road haulage; and reverse the general degradation of the national rail system thats been happening for the last 50 years.

Without giving people options and encouraging their use, it makes no difference how much they want to charge us to use our cars, we have no alternative but to use them. The Government is taking the "cheap" option that will have no affect at all on peoples transport choices. Of course I have to accept that in central london, people with massive choice of transport options still insist on driving - which in my opinion is grossly stupid and they deserve to pay through the nose for it. (Coming from someone who may be working in Central London from next year and who plans to leave his car in Norfolk and commute at weekends).

Last edited by Prasius; 21 February 2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 21 February 2007, 10:15 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Stephen Ladyman, roads minister, is doing a webchat on the No10 website Thursday at 16:00. Its open for questions now, so i suggest you put yours to him.
Here's mine.

Hello Minister,
My question is this:
I commute to Heathrow airport every day, a round trip of 60 miles, using the M3 and M25 motorways. My car ( which I changed 13 months ago, to one that is more environmentally friendly ) does 60 mpg. My weekly fuel bill is less than £20 a week. I spend no more than 90 minutes, on a bad day, in the car. Normally its just over an hour.
Public transport would cost me a minimum of £40 a day, and would take me 3 hours for both trips. So, you can see why I choose to drive.
Even at 30p per mile, the true figure would be greater I suspect, bearing in mind we're talking about using 2 of the South East's busiest motorways, my weekly costs to get to work would be £90.
Why are you forcing me to give up my job? Because that is what a £360 per month congestion charge would mean to me, and many many others.
Think about it.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Rafano
Old 21 February 2007, 10:33 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Abdabz
The petition was written by a comic/simpleton. The BBC commisioned a reporter to look into road pricing. Said reporter stuck his finger in the air, came up with a load of 'what ifs' and stuck it on BBC Breakfast.
Those with any spark who watched it dismissed it as ambiguous hypothesis but some plnkas took it as gospel and some conspiracy theorists got all tetchy about Big Brother issues...
Prior to the BBC report nothing had been decided, no figures had been given, it was just, as Bliar suggests an option for the distant future that should not be ruled out.
The petition became a glorified chain mail, like warning of a mysterious bug that will wipe your hard drive unless you send the warning on to 10 of your friends (if you get 10 replies your a special friend indeed ).
People were signing it ***** nilly without investigating the available facts.

Then the media jumped on the bandwagon. It was a story that a wopping 2% of the population cared enough to sign a petition about, without the right facts which in my eyes made the whole thing worthless.

I hate Blair but I hate the public more for getting emotive about something they know nothing about.

When a petition comes out which states both sides of the facts based on the actual proposal for the road pricing then I may be the first in the queue to sign up (if the facts sway me that way)...
Normally, I would agree with holding fire untill the plans are more developed and both sides of the argument are known.

However, to do so in this instance is to miss the point!

This idea IS being considered. That's a fact

It WOULD require a GPS system in each car to be effective. That's beyond despute. You can't charge people appropriately unless you know where they've been and when.

Some people fundamentally object to this irrepsective of the other pros and cons.

IIRC the PM's response did not address this issue at all.

Ns04
Old 21 February 2007, 11:28 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
People will still drive the same amount as they do now, it won't change congestion in the long term whatsoever, it will just give the gov't more income.

The people this will hit the most are car enthusiasts, such as us lot who drive for actual pleasure.
I think it will increase congestion in the long term, simply because it will have no effect on driving habits. If you take his assertion at face value of an increase of 6 million vehicles in the last decade, then the existing consumption tax (fuel duty) has failed to arrest this increase. Ergo, another form of consumption tax (road pricing) isn't going to be any more effective at combating congestion than the existing system other than, as you say, to increase the revenue going into HMG's coffers.

The simple fact of the matter is that everyone has a part to play. Take your example of driving for pleasure - we're all guilty of it but we have to accept that we need to reduce the amount of driving we do.

In Olly's case, his company should provide showering facilities and once provided he should make the sacrifice and cycle to work - if not everyday at least a couple of times a week.

There are opportunities for parents to escort children to school rather than taking them by car - good for basic fitness and health plus dare I say it, help re-develop family values which seem to be missing in this country.

One of my objectives for this year is to seriously reduce my mileage this year, as even though I work from home I still manage to clock up 30k per annum. I'm going to reduce this to below 20k simply by managing a better journey plan and meeting ten clients spread over two days instead of four. It suits me because I'm sick of sitting in traffic jams and it keeps the miles off my car.

The Government has the biggest part to play but as usual all they can see are revenue scoring opportunities. They could quite easily encourage home networking by offering tax incentives to help cover the costs of doing so. A public transport system that was actually joined up would help linking bus, tram, train and air transport systems that integrated instead of working independantly of each other.

Of course, there will be a chorus of posts by people giving a multitude of reasons why they can't walk their kids to school, or cycle to work but these people are missing the point - you can if you try.
Old 21 February 2007, 11:54 AM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

This whole petition thing is a waste of time, I shan't bother signing any more. The government has absolutely no intention of listening to peoples' opinions, it's just lip service. I doubt Blair has any idea what was in the emailed responses. He couldn't give a toss and will do whatever he likes
Old 21 February 2007, 12:07 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T.Bliar
... congestion could cost an extra £22 billion in wasted time in England by 2025 ...
Compare that to the cost of the blackboxes alone, say £300 x 30m vehicles = £9 billion, plus the tracking system, the data transfer and storage, the production of bills, the enforcement of non-payers, the huge behind the scenes bureaucracy, etc. and £22bn seems a small price to pay.

I'm still firmly of the opinion that congestion is self-regulating. Let it build up, the train / bicycle / bus will become more attractive and congestion will stop increasing. Say your journey to work was 2 hours for 5 miles, then you would find an alternative. No-one is going to use public transport which is slower, less convenient, more expensive, etc.
Old 21 February 2007, 12:10 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief

yeah why not.

Tell him there is no chance i'm having a GPS box fitted in my car...
Old 21 February 2007, 12:14 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

What if they bring it in and it cost £500 a month to use your car...?

Will people stop using there car? or stop spending money in the high street stores? they start going down hill.. people losing jobs etc??

Oh well..... I love this c.untry!

Quick Reply: Blairs reply to road pricing petition.