Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

St Helens town centre, almost got 3 points last night

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2007, 02:56 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default St Helens town centre, almost got 3 points last night

Nipped into the town centre last night, to drop a cheque off at the bank (was about 8.30pm)

A couple of officers stood outside the bank, I post my cheque, go to get back in my car, and one of them calls me over

She informed me that it is now 3 penalty points and 60 quid fine for using that small stretch of road

Now for years there have been signs up stating that it is a pedestrian area and bus lane only, between the hours of 10am and 4pm

Wagons are allowed down this stretch of road between the hours of 4pm and 10am for loading/unloading only

I was told that it has always previously been a 30 quid fine for driving down this road (something I have done on occasion many a time putting cheques into the bank)

The officer told me that it changed two weeks ago, to become an endorsable fixed penalty, and that she 'let me off' this time, but not to use it again

Question is, where is this information supposed to be published, nothing has been announced that I am aware of, nor are there any signs up to say that it is now endorsable

Don't have much choice really as all the car parks close at 6pm and there really isnt anywhere nearby to park up, she did tell me in future to find a back street somewhere without double yellows to park up and walk to the bank from there
Old 16 February 2007, 03:02 PM
X30NGO
Scooby Regular

No signs so you aren't meant to know, fair enough. But rules and laws can change. She didn't do you , but she informed you of the new situation and said not to do it again.

Can you ask for much more of the police woman??

She has nowt to do with the council who's job it is to inform the public by means of road signs and markings. They should be there BEFORE the law is put in place though, i agree with you there, it's just daft!

I'll keep my eyes open for where you mean when i'm in st helens tonight in work. (pity me, working on a friday night!!)
Old 16 February 2007, 03:04 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

cant you use that small car park next to the car park that has the lift going into the market?? near cash converters
Old 16 February 2007, 03:04 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Nope I couldnt ask for more, she was nice, polite and friendly about the whole thing

My thread isn't about having a go, just more curious as to where this information would be publish, or like she did last night, caution people for the first month or so, then start dishing out the FP's

The road is were Yorkshire Bank is, opposite greggs, cash converters etc
Old 16 February 2007, 03:05 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
cant you use that small car park next to the car park that has the lift going into the market?? near cash converters
Hmm, I thought all of that was double yellowed, still cheaper than a fixed penalty
Old 16 February 2007, 03:06 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

i know its miles from tesco but if that bit is double yellows you could always park there
Old 16 February 2007, 03:28 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Sonic

The exact same thing happened to me when I had my STI.

As I'm from the north-east I put on my strongest accent and said I was down here to see a mate and was lost.

The copper gave me directions and told me not to drive down that road again.
Old 16 February 2007, 03:38 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

It will have been published in the local press. Its all they have to do - not that anyone actually reads the legal notices!

5t.