Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Save the RED ARROWS

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2007, 10:03 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save the RED ARROWS

Once again the our Government are trying to take the 'Great' out of Great Britain! Please have a quick read, and do sign the petition....

The 'patriots' in our beloved government are considering axing the
Red Arrows to save money, despite the fact they don't cost us much in
the grand scheme of things and bring nothing but pride and prestige
to the UK.
The 10 Downing St website has an online petition.

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Continue funding for the Royal AIr Force Aerobatics Team - The Red Arrows.

Please sign it. Don't let them get away with this.

Please could you pass this on to those you know who also care.
Old 15 February 2007, 10:07 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Signed
Old 15 February 2007, 10:09 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Signed
Old 15 February 2007, 10:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

If they are so good - let them pay their own way!!

Why should we, the taxpayer, pay for some kiddies to play at flying upside down over show crowds??

If you want to see them, pay to see them .... I couldn't give a toss whether they go or stay - they should NOT be funded out of my taxes thank you very much!!

There are 12 year old single mothers in Manchester and Liverpool that need that money for their ****, tattoos, body piercing and lottery tickets!!
Old 15 February 2007, 10:12 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
There are 12 year old single mothers in Manchester and Liverpool that need that money for their ****, tattoos, body piercing and lottery tickets!!
I would rather the money go to the red arrows.
Old 15 February 2007, 10:27 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Signed
Old 15 February 2007, 10:31 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

Signed
Old 15 February 2007, 10:33 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Being in the forces I heard the Red Arrows are knobbers....apparently they introduce themselves as numbers...

I can barely do my job because of a shortage of money, anything to free money for a fighting force....get rid of them!!

"Hi...I'm number 1"
Old 15 February 2007, 10:50 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Their wives are even worse

Have to say - if its the choice between the RAF having the Red Arrows - or replacing the poor excuse of a troop transport fleet they have - gimme a couple of new Airbus A300's please.

Its only a matter of time before a Tristar falls out of the sky taking 200 squaddies with it. Then everyone will be asking why it happend and why no one told them...

Mind you - guess its okay because the RAF have their loverly cold-war era, only 15 years late, totally pointless Eurofighter Typhoons to keep them entertained. Great. Really frigging useful that....

Ladies and Gentlemen - not that you'd generally notice at home, but we're at war. We haven't got time nor the manpower to entertain you at county shows and air displays. If thats what you want - please write a letter to your MP demanding a large real terms increase in the defence budget and accept that your tax is going to go up to pay for it, as I can't see labour doing anything about the lower social scum that suck up the social security budget. Oh, and actually appointing someone other than total idiots to sign procurement contracts.

Last edited by Prasius; 15 February 2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 16 February 2007, 07:08 AM
MiniShaz
Scooby Regular

Location: In the village where the 102 yr old woman still drives

Originally Posted by pslewis

If you want to see them, pay to see them ....
They're not free to see, unless you're a spotter in a field. An airshow ticket costs anything between £10 and £50.

Back to the point - they are a bunch of self-important tossers, get rid
Old 16 February 2007, 07:16 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN
Being in the forces I heard the Red Arrows are knobbers....apparently they introduce themselves as numbers...

I can barely do my job because of a shortage of money, anything to free money for a fighting force....get rid of them!!

"Hi...I'm number 1"
So you think if they bin the Arrows this bunch are going to spend the money on the Forces in another way ........ get real. They're going to waste it same as the 50 billion they get from motorists. You did see their travel expenses? Thats where it'll go.
Old 16 February 2007, 12:11 PM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CRAIGFIN

"Hi...I'm number 1"
Having met most of them personally (yes, really) they were a decent, down to earth bunch of lads. They drove Honda Accords, went to B&Q at the weekend and took their dogs for walks on sundays... A far cry from the Top Gun-esque perception... And to be fair, their funding is pretty poor compared with other areas of the Armed Forces.

If you look at the costs of say the American Blue Angles for example, our boys are incredibly good value for money - and of course, much better
Old 16 February 2007, 12:13 PM
RIGPIG
Scooby Regular

The only thing good about them is the monies they DO Charge for Airshows Goes towards the RAF Benevoland Fund.
Old 16 February 2007, 12:13 PM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MiniShaz
They're not free to see, unless you're a spotter in a field. An airshow ticket costs anything between £10 and £50.

Back to the point - they are a bunch of self-important tossers, get rid
It's good to see a considered opinion now and again...
Old 16 February 2007, 12:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thank you and done
Old 16 February 2007, 12:25 PM
Kuro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Their wives are even worse

Have to say - if its the choice between the RAF having the Red Arrows - or replacing the poor excuse of a troop transport fleet they have - gimme a couple of new Airbus A300's please.

Its only a matter of time before a Tristar falls out of the sky taking 200 squaddies with it. Then everyone will be asking why it happend and why no one told them...

Mind you - guess its okay because the RAF have their loverly cold-war era, only 15 years late, totally pointless Eurofighter Typhoons to keep them entertained. Great. Really frigging useful that....

Ladies and Gentlemen - not that you'd generally notice at home, but we're at war. We haven't got time nor the manpower to entertain you at county shows and air displays. If thats what you want - please write a letter to your MP demanding a large real terms increase in the defence budget and accept that your tax is going to go up to pay for it, as I can't see labour doing anything about the lower social scum that suck up the social security budget. Oh, and actually appointing someone other than total idiots to sign procurement contracts.
Blimey, someone else who obvious knows a great deal about MoD funding/procurement

Where the hell do you people come from

Far too complicated to get into, but suffice to say it's not the fault of the Reds and the fine job that they do. It's the DPA and DLO you should be talking to.

Typhoon was delayed through politics, and more often, not those of the UK. Typhoon is a first class platform that is capable of rivalling most of the current crop of MRP. Funding is a balancing act, what would you rather have, a BRAND NEW Airbus to transport the squaddies in, that gets BLOWN from the Sky becuase we have no way to control the airspace..?
Old 16 February 2007, 12:43 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have been fortunate enough to fly with the Red Arrows. I find it disappointing that some seem to think that they are self important. That is totally untrue, they are normal blokes who enjoy an exciting job and their attitude is no different to anyone else's. I wonder how many of those running them down have actually met them rather than let their imaginations run away with them!

It can't be denied that they bring a great deal of pleasure to many thousands of people all over the world. They are unquestionably the world's best all round formation aerobatic team.

They do a great deal to promote, not only the RAF, but this country all over the world. Their displays are paid for by the display organisers both in and outside this country as well. I believe it would be a big mistake to lose them as much as anything for the pride they engender in the British people.

If you bin these kinds of entertainment, this will become an even greyer and more totalitarian style country than it is already.

If like PSL and the like, you start whingeing about the money being put to use for the old and sick, who actually quite enjoy watching them do their stuff, then start thinking about the humungus waste being perpetrated by this bunch of tossers in control with their obscene tax free expenses, and the overbearingly high beaurocracy which they have created to no significant good effect for the country.

We really ought to keep some of the things we can be proud about.

Les
Old 16 February 2007, 12:49 PM
fabiavrs
Scooby Regular

ahhh so that's how they are going to fund the training for the smoking police.
Old 16 February 2007, 02:11 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 16 February 2007, 02:29 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

RED 3 - BTTT Chocks awaaaaaaaay
Old 16 February 2007, 04:45 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

signed

quite funny as my MSN has just popped up saying "message from number 10"

LOL ohh i wish it was
Old 16 February 2007, 05:24 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

I'm interested to hear the argument explained more fully. How much do they actually cost? If that money was saved, would there be enough of it to do any of the things you mention?

I've seen them and think they're fabulous. I know there's usually a charge to attend the shows where they are, so where does that money go? They seem to do an awful lot that drives recruitment for the RAF - is that measured at all?

I'm not going to avoid signing because someone thinks they're "a bunch of *****" - I'd rather see an argument that's a little more substantive and objective.
Old 16 February 2007, 05:31 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Signed.

Not every bit of gov't money should be for "doing good", or fighting silly wars, every now and then the gov't should spend money on stuff that is pure fun, and I remember seeing the red arrows for the first time when I was about 5 and they were awesome.
Old 16 February 2007, 05:47 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up

Signed
Steve
Old 16 February 2007, 07:03 PM
Mikey Ace
Scooby Regular

Signed.

Mikey
Old 16 February 2007, 07:17 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can ask the question through freedom of information but it wouldn't be a true cost. IIRC the red arrows cost the tax payer several million pounds per year and remove the best pilots and support staff in the RAF from the front line that the tax payer has paid to train.

The biggest benefactor of the red arrows is British Aerospace as the number of spin off sales of hawk aircraft they get from the free advertising that the RAF provides is quite large, especially to the middle east countries where the red arrows train in the winter months because the weather in this country in not good enough for them to train in.
Old 16 February 2007, 07:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Signed,the government will only waste any money they would save from scrapping them anyway
Old 16 February 2007, 08:03 PM
Mark Miwurdz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

some kiddies to play at flying upside down over show crowds
These 'kiddies' as you so eloquently refer to them, are the same pilots that fly over Iraq and other delightful places that your illustrious ***** of a PM has sent them to. Whatever your myopic views on the Red Arrows are, have a bit of respect, FFS.
Old 16 February 2007, 08:06 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Signed im memory of my dear uncle Harry, who served with the RAF during WW2, Rest in peace uncle Harry
Cheers
Colin

Quick Reply: Save the RED ARROWS