Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2007, 11:47 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to reject BT Vision

Great when it works, however....

Had it installed 2 weeks ago.

EVERY day there is a problem with it. I've had some support from technical support (if I ever through) that solved or answered the point in hand albeit temporarily or onto next problem.

Here's the list:
1 - Reset/Hello loop - you can't get into BT Vision, it gets to the Hello screen and then waits for ages (remote or buttons on box do nothing) and it eventually resets itself. Called tech support and they advised to turn off the BT hub for 10 minutes so it can get a new IP address. Did this, didn't sort it, read something on here and just left the box and watched analogue and 45 minutes or so later it's back working.

2 - Recordings menu sometimes not showing. Have to reset (undocumented in supplied documentation) but holding down power button for 5 secs or so. Recordings menu not always there when turning on, leave it for a while and it turns up

3 - EPG - Often says Loading... for ALL channels. Support says it's a problem at the BT end with their servers/internet blah blah. EPG works later on in evening. This happens every other day at least.

4 - Tonight - flipping through channels, loads of them OK for 5 seconds then blank screen, change channel and same thing happens.

5 - Reception/Picture blocking on C4, C5 (v bad, unwatchable really) and unreliable on More4, E4 and others. Only channels I can rely on are BBC (which are perfect on analogue so no real gain there!). I live 4/5 miles from Selhurst transmitters, I'm on top of hill so can clearly see the red lights of the transmitters! If anywhere is gonna get perfect reception, it's here! I have new wideband med-gain aerial in loft.
My 2 year old Sony freeview box (excellent bit of kit) used at the same address has NEVER, I repeat NEVER had any blocking or freezing on ANY channel EVER. This box is 3/4 years old in design so surely a brand new device should work as well, so much for 'progress.

6 - Technical support, ever tried to get through on the 0845 number??? No, neither have I so I go through normal 0800 cust services and they put me through.

We're sick of it, great when it works, but like cars that'd crap and no good if you've got the fastest car in the world and you're on the hard shoulder all the time waiting for the AA.

I accept the odd teething trouble (I'm a programmer after all) but it's gone 2 weeks now and things are getting worse, not better. Had enough. It seems you get what you pay for! Will soon be looking for a PROPER reliable PVR next week
Old 13 February 2007, 01:29 PM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

What is BT vision? Telly through your broadband line?
Old 13 February 2007, 01:30 PM
cottonfoo
Scooby Regular

It was rushed out very quickly, and runs on MS products
Old 13 February 2007, 01:52 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

"the internet" is not capeable of running what is expected of it these days IMO
Old 13 February 2007, 01:52 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Will soon be looking for a PROPER reliable PVR next week

Yes, there's loads out there - I've got a Humax 9200 and it's great. Twin tuner and can record from both and watch a 3rd(on the same multiplex).
Old 13 February 2007, 06:43 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Toerag
What is BT vision? Telly through your broadband line?
Twin tuner Freeview box with 160GB HDD and connects to internet bome hub to watch on demand films, old tv progs, music vids etc. Normal TV comes through aerial.

TBH it's great when it works and I've learnt today that much of the problem is due to the crap MS software and they "regularly" intend to update the box with improved version of the software. I'll give it a week to see if any updates are due else it's ditched. If a car had this many faults, it'd be returned straight away.

Main problem (at the moment) is the crap C5 channel (and some M4 etc.) pixelating pic. People say sort aerial and calbing out etc. (new aerial btw) but my Sony freeview box has NO problems with C5 AT ALL and that's 3/4 years old in design.

Will consider humax box etc. but don't want to find it's just as crap WRT pixelation on C5 and other channels etc. When years contract with broadband expires, we may consider the SKY+ route but I hear that's not without problems either.