Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Musical Education in Schools

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2007, 09:38 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Musical Education in Schools

My boy has an interview tomorrow for a job teaching guitar in schools. One of the things he willl be asked about is his views on musical education in schools generally.

So do you have any thoughts/comments that are pertinent? It's at quite an interesting phase now with so many sources of learning including, of course, the internet and software programmes. So do the schools get it right? Should there be more emphasis on basics? And where do kids play now - it's generally OK for guitarists but what about other instruments? Sensible comments invited which will be most useful especially from those that remember and those with kids doing music at school. Many thanks, david
Old 12 February 2007, 09:42 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I think it's integral to producing an all-round education and appreciation of the arts. Also can be useful in allowing pupils to discover something in themselves which could lead them to personal success or even a career later on.
Old 12 February 2007, 09:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

And aside from being in a sports team is perhaps an excellent way of learning how to work as a team together if you are in a small group. Thanks Kiwi.
Old 12 February 2007, 10:18 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

More importantly David, pass on "Best of luck"! to him!!

My opinion will be somewhat biased

Dan
Old 12 February 2007, 10:24 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dan - will do

But if you have a moment and have any comments e.g. the current state of music teaching in schools, they would be useful. Has it got better over the years? Do they encompass new technolgy enough? Is it under funded etc? What should change? d
Old 12 February 2007, 05:33 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Sorry David, just come back to this!

The current state is a difficult one, due to a great many factors, but primarily that of school budget and "priorities" Some schools have a great provision, others dont. This will change though (more on this in a second)

The biggest change has been the 14-19 provision. Basically saying that not all kids are suited to GCSEs and should be able to look at other provision, such as vocational routes.

This (depending on your perspective!) is a positive move, and means that alternative examination boards, such as Edexcel (yes, I know they have their problems, but as a whole they're very good) providing BTEC programmes (vocational GCSE equivalents and higher).

The funding generated from students successfully completing these courses can be very good indeed, and will be re-invested into the areas. Sadly, Music and the associated technology is only surpassed in being "cutting edge", by video/picture technology. Therefore, an institution will always be playing catchup.

What should change? Well, the Media-based Industry is one of THE biggest revenue generators in the UK. However, the big issue is along the same lines as the Uni Degree problem - too many "qualified" people, and not enough jobs.....

If I could work that one out, I would be a millionaire!!

Dan