Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Suicide -

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2007, 09:22 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suicide -

Suicide - Having had two old school friends commit suicide it has made me think.
Do you think that certain people are board with the Suicide flip switch ??? What I mean about that is that both people I knew had children, families and lots of friends.
And I just cant see what could push you to the edge. I mean once they have gone you find out the reason why they did it. And in both my cases it was something and nothing ........ It wasn't that big a deal. Yet they had still gone along with it. Surely the they would have considered the children and the people they leave behind.
Also the people that do it seem to be the last people you would choose out of the school photo to do that kind of thing.
Its so sad that sons, daughters are going to grow up with out there real father .........

Ho hum ....
Old 09 February 2007, 09:26 PM
hojkoff
Scooby Regular

Yeah I think that in that situation where there are people who depend on them (kids, wives, husbands etc) it's a pretty selfish thing to go and do.

I can't quite understand it either. Surly the problems have been building up for a while so when is it that makes them say, "right that's enough, there is no other option here." Even though there usually is.
Old 09 February 2007, 09:30 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

One of them got all the information from the internet over a period of a month. And wrote letters to all invloved. Family. The people that found him, the Paramedics, the cleaners, he even left money for the sheets he had used.
It was so well planned. I cant get my head around it, why didnt he just pick up the phone and call someone ? Why didnt he ask for a little help.

why
Old 09 February 2007, 09:37 PM
jimboturbo
Scooby Regular

I'm not after sympathy here so let's get that sorted.

My dad committed suicide around three years ago. The last thing I consider him is selfish. I hope to never understand what was going through his mind the moment he did it. I have always said that to do what he did then I have to simply trust that things were so bad that he HAD to do what he did.

I don't believe that selfish comes in to the equation when you get to that stage.

He was one of the happiest most popular chaps you could hope to meet so definately agree with the "least likely" comment.

Jim
Old 09 February 2007, 09:37 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

It's so, so sad to think some people can feel so desperate, that they see no other way.
A few years ago, Chap I work with, his son killed himself, was so worked up about his exam results. He was about 19
Old 09 February 2007, 09:43 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I think those that commit suicide by chucking themselves in front of a train are selfish. Fair enough if a person has no other option other than killing themselves but why involve others.
Nik.
Old 09 February 2007, 09:46 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Yeah its a strange one

i knowof 5 people that were at school with me that has done it

In sleepy cumbria we seem to have one on the headlines every single week

so many reasons but never solutions for others
Old 09 February 2007, 09:46 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Jim - Thanks for your input, and sorry for your loss.
Nik - Yes, I agree with you.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:10 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

It's hard to understand what drives people to do this unless you've been close to the brink yourself. It's fairly unleasant too, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I would never class someone who'd committed suicide as selfish, that shows a big lack of understanding IMO.

Old 09 February 2007, 10:16 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Question is - what is the point of life? Is there one?

Life is essence an inbuilt conciousness that requires us to procreate, no other purpose.

So is it surprising that people might be driven to commit suicide?
Old 09 February 2007, 10:17 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
O why didnt he just pick up the phone and call someone ? Why didnt he ask for a little help.
Maybe he was to proud to ask for help as he may be seen as a failure to his family and this was his only way out ?
Old 09 February 2007, 10:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Honest Posting Mode

I have an ok life, ok car, amazing partner, roof over my head, ok prospects, etc but truthfully I have considered it.

Want to know why?

Quite simply I don't believe we are masters of our own destiny. Over the last few years I'm increasingly believing that no matter what you do in life you cannot change whatever plan fate/god/whoever has for you! In short I believe life is a 'fix' and that extra effort will only yeild reward if it was supposed to. All throughout my life there seems to be little relationship between how hard I try at something and the result. I've worked my guts out at certain things and failed and put zero effort into others and achieved

I think this is why I enjoyed the Matrix trillogy so much. I found I could relate to the story so much as all my life I've felt that there is something wrong with the world.

I'm not depressed or mental or anything like that and compared to the majority of the world population I have it pretty good But I find it increasingly difficult to accept 'life' when I don't believe its as random as it appears to be

As for the reason I don't do anything about it? Well, I'm a coward Truthfull, I don't have the guts to put my money where my mouth is and declare, "this is a game and I don't want to play anymore!"

I'm sure this post will cause some sort of a stir. I guess my point of posting it is to demonstrate that its not just manic depressives that have these thoughts and the motivation probably isn't always one of 'I hate my life'.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:28 PM
torquemada67
Scooby Newbie

it may sounds strange, selfish, but for me, committing suicide is an acceptable way to go (and yes, I´ve been affected...two friends of mine), and no, I´m not drunk or only 15...
Old 09 February 2007, 10:33 PM
eldudereno
Scooby Regular

Life is essence an inbuilt conciousness that requires us to procreate, no other purpose.

As far as I can see there is no purpose whatsoever.

Some people simply don't enjoy their life and look for a way out.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:45 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

I dont think any of us can comment on the reasons why people will commit suicide, the only person who could answer that is the person who has done it, which obviously theres no answers from them. Unless you know the person involved and whats been going on for them to go through with something like this then theres no judgement at all.

I've had 6 people I know commit suicide, 3 of them were people I knew very very well, I'm not going in to how they done it or why they done it, it's just to gruesome in my opinion and not something to talk about or judge when those people aren't here.
Old 09 February 2007, 10:57 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

No one commits suicide cos they want to die-they commit suicide cos they dont want to live!

I'm the same as u saxoboy-considered it many times but im a coward-i admire folk who can do it tho.

At end of day i have a very carefree attitude to death tho-as far as im concerned we are all going to die so why not choose when u do die- i honestly think world would be a better place if we lived like "logans run " film-at least that way knowing u will die at 25 u can plan your life so much better.
Old 09 February 2007, 11:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Seen too many...

some went? and appeared to go quite quickly and painlessly.. the majority , however didnt, and went out with some unpleasant endings.

one thing that always amazed me, is peoples determination and enginuity (sp)

they put so much effort into ending it al, it makes you think, why couldnt they do the same for wanting to live...

Mart
Old 09 February 2007, 11:57 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

The human Pysche works in mysterious ways......
Old 10 February 2007, 12:04 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I think part of the appeal is the freedom of choice - as I said in my previous post I don't believe I am free. If you examine the Christian religious viewpoint for example, God says we have free will. Yet, the Bible also tells us that God knows all, sees all, etc. It also says that since the begining of time God has known who he will bring into heaven. Logically it follows that we cannot have true free will - our lives are already mapped out for us and we just walk the path. I just can't handle that

I know life isn't always 'fair' as one might see it but I like to think that as a very general rule of thumb when I see someone that is successful and fullfilled that its because they have worked to get to that position and to better themselves and have made good life choices. I struggle to cope with the though that that person success may have been destined to them no matter what their supposed 'freedom' made them do.

At least with self-termination we REALLY do have freedom to choose. If I want to be rich then no matter what I do I will not achieve that unless I was destined to, or if I wanted to be famous (infamous doesn't count) or a footballer, or whatever takes my fancy. But with death. Nobody and nothing can stop me doing that if I really choose to
Old 10 February 2007, 12:43 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

speaking as a fellow, that was hanging over a train bridge waiting to do it several years ago, i personally feel this story from both sides. i dont want sympathy either or rewards for "hanging in there" or "seeing the light", im just stating fact, i nearly commited suicide, but realised the resons for me wanting to do it were not of my doing, ie an abusive and opressive step father in my case.

several weeks locked in the mental ward in the local hospital and months of heavy councilling later, i was alright, but i now know what the deepest, darkest corners of life are, and will never return there again, no matter what people may do. its rather strange in that this has made me a very strong character, wise beyond my subtle 22 years.

i realised what i have to live for, and now 5/6 years later, i have a secure job, a wonderful partner, my own house, a scoob and the choice of what i want to achive in life. one of the things that sorted me the most.... drawing and my artwork. on two levels, one being i find it so theraputic, and two, i can express myself through it.

apologies for seeming very self obsessed on this subject, but it hit home, that once many moons ago, i contemplated ending everything.... now? NO CHANCE

andy
Old 10 February 2007, 12:58 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

"i have a secure job, a wonderful partner, my own house, a scoob

Reason alone to want to top yourself
Old 10 February 2007, 01:00 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
"i have a secure job, a wonderful partner, my own house, a scoob

Reason alone to want to top yourself
pfff SAXO_boy
Old 10 February 2007, 01:06 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

LOL, don't have a saxo any more - too flimsy. Those things will get you killed you know

Old 10 February 2007, 01:20 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

Aw don't start that ****..... I was normal until I watched "As good as it gets" In the past 10 years I have enjoyed and suffered in equal measure. Two brilliant kids, stolen scoob, major car crash, major bike crash, brilliant job, redundancy, loads of cash, loads of debt etc etc - now (during an unusually stable period in my life) I wonder at least once a day - "is this as good as it gets" - If the answer is yes, then what is the point of keeping trying for more. If the answer is no, then what is it that would make it 'as good as it gets'. and if you ever achieve that, then what is the point of trying for more.

I've often thought about the actual act of suicide (never really thought about it for myself.... far to chicken for that), but a really pretty clever girl with rich parents who went to school with me blew her head off with a shotgun when she was about 19. Sometimes I think she may have realised that she already had it all, so what was the challenge? The whole think about the point of life freaks me out no end. Has anyone considered if their great great great grandfather worked from home to spend more time with his kids, or was a complete desk jockey earning 4 times the national average. 200 years on, does any really give a ****? Will anyone care about our personal successes or woes in 2207?
Old 10 February 2007, 01:23 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
200 years on, does any really give a ****? Will anyone care about our personal successes or woes in 2207?

my frozen head will be in a pickle jar then, so il let you know
Old 10 February 2007, 01:35 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like most people have been to the point when you consider it!

My opinion is that I wasn't brave enough to do it, I chose the easy way out and lived !
Old 10 February 2007, 01:42 AM
mag6/4 2
Scooby Regular

saxo boy and choclate i know what you are saying if it was,nt for docs and antidpressnts i woudn,t be hear sorry for bee a sod but thats life some soles can cope outhers carn,t and i am one of them

chris
Old 10 February 2007, 08:14 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

You know it's funny, I've been trying to figure out if there's a purpose to life for a long time. I don't mean simply creating offspring, I'm talking about a reason people do the things they do, how they live their lives etc.

I recently started studying for a degree in Psychology with the OU, and some of the stuff I'm reading about, people, perception, identities etc is really interesting.
Old 10 February 2007, 11:38 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the whole life think is quite amusing and bemusing in equal measure, I will try to stick around as long as I can, something will get me eventually so my token gesture to self destruction this morning was a bacon and egg butty, perhaps if someone about to top themselves got a waft of bacon cooking it might stall them long enough to eat the bacon butty and forget about the whole messy suicide business, perhaps if the Islamic extremists got on better with bacon then they wouldnt be so edgy.

I worry about my kids, the pressure society puts on them and when you are young its hard to see what matters and what doesnt, you fail you exams, so what, get up, dust yourself off and get on with it, life changes is big and mysterious ways, just when its getting boring something usually happens and if something bad happens time does take the edge off it so dont just blow your brains out, wait a while and see how things pan out.

I do however support the right of those with terminal illness or chronic pain to choose to end their own life, life may be sacred (crap word) but so is the right to live it without being in agony.

Kenny, you think about stuff too much, most of the ime, there isnt a hidden message or meaning, we are just a quirk of a bit of chemistry and a lot of time, just get on and enjoy it.
Old 10 February 2007, 11:59 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its also the most aggressive thing you can possibly do !