Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

speed cameras in cat eyes

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2007, 09:31 AM
catalunya199again
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry speed cameras in cat eyes

i dont know if any of you listen to talk sport but they had a debate about the motorist getting ripped off and apperantly the government are looking into speed cameras that are fitted into cats eyes.

if the public dont act soon we might as well have the black box in our cars cause you wont be able to do over 70 anyway even on a clear motorway at 2am when it is oh so busy
Old 08 February 2007, 09:33 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The public ARE acting. Some guy is blowing things up - whilst I don't condone it, it's a sign that people are sick fed up with the way the country is being run and the way honest, working people are being treated.
Old 08 February 2007, 09:41 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Oh ffs... There needs to be a better arguement against them than that! The law doesnt cease to be because its early in the morning
When we all learnt to drive we were taught the speed limits and being able to stick within them is what got our licenses in the first place. Now we own fast cars, it doesnt mean we are suddenly qualified to judge ourselves as above the law.
So, if and when we get caught we have to hold our hands up and accept the fact we have been caught breaking the law.
The ONLY issue with any speed camera can be the "marketing" used by the government with the word "safety"...It should be marketed as exactly what it is "A catch the unobservant law breaker and punish them Camera"...

Now, if they put them in cats eyes (which sounds implausible, they've only recently been able to introduce glow in the dark ones round here, let alone ones with cameras in...) then yeah it's a sneaky move, but maybe, people will start to slow down!

If you cant blame yourselves (and I do speed) dont blame the cameras, blame the speed limits... Dont campaign to get rid of Speed Cameras, campaign to change speed limits, increase driver skills, remove HGV's from the roads, etc...
Old 08 February 2007, 09:53 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Problem is that people have wanted the speed limits raised for years. Now with the tree huggers and green parties there is no chance.

In order to reach UK emissions targets serious consideration has gone into lowering the national speed limits to reduce CO2 emissions.

But I do agree with you in some ways. The issue is not so much the cameras, but in the way they are used.
Old 08 February 2007, 10:04 AM
catalunya199again
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz

If you cant blame yourselves (and I do speed) dont blame the cameras, blame the speed limits... Dont campaign to get rid of Speed Cameras, campaign to change speed limits, increase driver skills, remove HGV's from the roads, etc...
possibly one of the most stupid things i have ever read, im a lorry driver so if you can tell me how you want your goods in every single shop you go in without coming in from a lorry then please let know, how do you remove the thousands of containers form the docks to the shops

someone correct me as i aint old enough to know, but im sure the speed limits were set in the 60's when lets face it it took about 2 miles to stop your car from 70mph everything on a car has improved 10 fold since then so why not push up the speed limit and why is it still 70mph at night the speed should change from 9pm when the roads are generally quite to around 5am when the lorries become more apparent.

but as nl keep bleating speed kills not the idiots who dont know how to drive,hog middle lanes and come off slip roads doing under 50mph forcing lorries to move over
Old 08 February 2007, 10:07 AM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Speed cameras in cats eyes great now the roads will be full of pikies trying to steal the camera's.
Old 08 February 2007, 10:16 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

They have got them already!!!!!!!!!!!!!, a stretch of the M8 in Scotland was trialing them a while ago, they said it was to monitor traffic but could be used for Measuring speed as well, off to search the net to see if i can find it.

Mac
Old 08 February 2007, 10:18 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

There we go!!!!!!!,never took long that,read and weep.

UK Speedtrap Guide. radar detector comparison, compare radar detector, gatso, speeding, speedtrap, gatso camera, blinder, uk speed trap, speed trap uk

Money grabbers are us.

Mac
Old 08 February 2007, 11:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by catalunya199again
possibly one of the most stupid things i have ever read, im a lorry driver so if you can tell me how you want your goods in every single shop you go in without coming in from a lorry then please let know, how do you remove the thousands of containers form the docks to the shops

someone correct me as i aint old enough to know, but im sure the speed limits were set in the 60's when lets face it it took about 2 miles to stop your car from 70mph everything on a car has improved 10 fold since then so why not push up the speed limit and why is it still 70mph at night the speed should change from 9pm when the roads are generally quite to around 5am when the lorries become more apparent.

but as nl keep bleating speed kills not the idiots who dont know how to drive,hog middle lanes and come off slip roads doing under 50mph forcing lorries to move over
It is not actually so much that vehicles have better brakes and handling now, except that in the '60's cars used to handle pretty well, or the faster ones did anyway, but the fact that humans have not changed and their reactions will be just the same as they always used to be. It is also a big factor that the traffic these days is grossly overcrowded since our roads rather than being improved have been allowed into a state of dangerous deterioration. It will eventually be just too expensive to repair them. But of course that will someone else's problem in the future!

Excessive speed, and I am largely talking about 3 figure speeds, will cut down on your safety margins making it more difficult to avoid an accident and also creating more damage and injury if there is one.

Do not get the idea that I don't enjoy the thought of a bit of fast driving but these days it is just too dangerous on our roads in their present state.

I do not agree with the indiscriminate use of speedcams as a cash cow, I do not think they are accurate or reliable enough anyway to be fairly used as the cause of people losing their licences anyway.

The cameras in the road are stated to be there to warn you if you are approaching a new speed limit. I think that is a good idea.

People joining off a slip road do not have right of way, this is not America. They should be prepared tp slow down if necessary in order to fit in with the traffic on the main road.

Les
Old 08 February 2007, 12:20 PM
catalunya199again
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

People joining off a slip road do not have right of way, this is not America. They should be prepared tp slow down if necessary in order to fit in with the traffic on the main road.

Les
that is nonsense so when they hover on the slip road doing 50mph and its nearly the end on the slip road what am i suppose to do in my lorry i have to pull out thus slowing down that lane of traffic cause someone is to scared or stupid to out pace a lorry which is restricted to 56mph

when i learnt to drive i was told to match the spped of the road you were joing so anyone going onto a dual or m/way should be doing 70mph to match the speed of traffic but more often than not they dont which is dangerous
Old 08 February 2007, 12:39 PM
turbomatt
Scooby Regular

Youre all wrong, What we need to be doing is employing deathrace 2000 techniques into our driving styles.Eg fit machineguns to our scoobs,if someone is hogging the fast lane then ram them off the roads or blow em to pieces with your front mounted cannons
Old 08 February 2007, 01:42 PM
brybusa
Scooby Regular

As bluenosewrx said they trialled this in scotland...but that was 18 months ago...i guess the trial was a success then....gutted...

Anyone know if they take a picture from the front or the back of the vehicle?
Old 08 February 2007, 02:00 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by catalunya199again
that is nonsense so when they hover on the slip road doing 50mph and its nearly the end on the slip road what am i suppose to do in my lorry i have to pull out thus slowing down that lane of traffic cause someone is to scared or stupid to out pace a lorry which is restricted to 56mph

when i learnt to drive i was told to match the spped of the road you were joing so anyone going onto a dual or m/way should be doing 70mph to match the speed of traffic but more often than not they dont which is dangerous
You are supposed to give way to the traffic on the motorway, irrespective of the speed they are doing. Highway Code 233 states...

Joining the motorway 233: When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should
  • give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and adjust your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
  • not cross solid white lines that separate lanes
  • stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
  • remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.
Unfortunately, not may drivers (lorry drives included) leave room between them for another vehicle to pull into lane 1 when joining a motor way. I was always told that if you reach the end of the slip road, and there's no were for you to pull into lane 1, you have to stop. You don't barge or bully your way in. Granted, most people will pull into lane 2 if possible, but if it's not, and lane 1 is busy, prepare to stop if necessary..

However, the highway code also states...

Stopping 244: You MUST NOT stop on the carriageway, hard shoulder, slip road, central reservation or verge except in an emergency, or when told to do so by the police, an emergency sign or by flashing red light signals.

So, if you can't join because there's no space, and you can't stop, you're just going to have to crash into someone..

Last edited by Nimbus; 08 February 2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08 February 2007, 03:58 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Nothing a hammer wouldn't sortout....
Old 08 February 2007, 04:32 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

check the traffic on the motorway and adjust your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
I don't get road rage very often but one sure way to infuriate me, is to be in front of me on a slip lane and try and join a motorway/DC doing 40mph when the traffic is doing 70+mph.