Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

smacking kids is not allowed = Hoodies!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2007, 05:42 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation smacking kids is not allowed = Hoodies!!

all those years ago when we were told we could be prosecuted for smacking our kids, and look what the result has been, HOODIES!!!

i am beginning to feel i should start smacking my daughter till the cows come home
Old 07 February 2007, 05:50 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you've ALWAYS been able to be prosecuted for smacking - this was called child abuse!!
All that's happened is that the society has gotten softer on the definition of "smacking".

Hoodies is just a social outcry from the young population..... a bit like punk, new romantics etc.........

Doesn't mean it's right - especially with the broad attitude that usually follows a "Hoodie" - bring back the ability to give somebody a clip around the ear!

Dan
Old 07 February 2007, 05:56 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

Thing is you can give a 'hoodie' a dig, just dont get caught
Old 07 February 2007, 05:56 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Yeah, damn me and my hoodies.. 28yo, employed tax payer.. I'm such a damn menace to society me...

Old 07 February 2007, 05:58 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am mostly talking about the under 18's, i myself have a hoodie on right now
Old 07 February 2007, 06:03 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

well if it was:

inept parenting = little *******..

Then I'd agree without any problems

I think the problem is a bit bigger than parents not giving their kids a clip over ; I think its many parents just being incapable of bringing up children. "I can't lock them up!" - Of course you can; Homebase does a really good line in window bars and door locks. *ahem*
Old 07 February 2007, 07:59 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
all those years ago when we were told we could be prosecuted for smacking our kids, and look what the result has been, HOODIES!!!

i am beginning to feel i should start smacking my daughter till the cows come home

smack the **** out of her
Old 07 February 2007, 08:28 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

well i was out shopping last week i was in birthdays picking up a card and this little lad of about 3 tried escaping out the shop so his mum ran after him and leathered him across the backside and was telling him to shut up so she could talk to her friend who had a young baby asleep. I turned round and said let me smack you across the **** and see if you cry like that she just stood there shocked but the way she hit him was out of order.
Old 07 February 2007, 09:03 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I have never hit either of my kids. Always found talking to them - or when needed shouting at them was far more effective.

What they beleive you would do if you got pushed too far is always more scarey then the reality.

Too late now anyway. My oldest is an amateur boxing champion and would kick the **** out of me
Old 07 February 2007, 09:13 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
let me smack you across the **** and see if you cry
You can try that with me if you like?
Old 07 February 2007, 10:03 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
You can try that with me if you like?
LOL you might enjoy it though
Old 07 February 2007, 11:16 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares

I feel you should be able to smack your daughter without having to conceal yourself behind a "hoodie" for fear of persecution. What type of hoodie do you own?

J.
Old 07 February 2007, 11:22 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

LOL you might enjoy it though
Yep
Old 07 February 2007, 11:48 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

i thought you would ha ha depends what you want me to do it with my hand or my whip
Old 07 February 2007, 11:53 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

i thought you would ha ha depends what you want me to do it with my hand or my whip
I'll leave the choice up to you
Old 08 February 2007, 09:25 AM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Yeah, damn me and my hoodies.. 28yo, employed tax payer.. I'm such a damn menace to society me...

A 2 year old hoodie was kicked out of a local shop the other week. Didn't even get his **** or White Lightning.
Old 08 February 2007, 09:43 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

lol!
Old 08 February 2007, 11:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

well i was out shopping last week i was in birthdays picking up a card and this little lad of about 3 tried escaping out the shop so his mum ran after him and leathered him across the backside and was telling him to shut up so she could talk to her friend who had a young baby asleep. I turned round and said let me smack you across the **** and see if you cry like that she just stood there shocked but the way she hit him was out of order.
Jeesus! If you'd said owt like that to me when my kids were playing up and got skelped, your feet wouldn't have touched the floor

Alcazar
Old 08 February 2007, 01:14 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

lol my mum fell about laughing and nearly dragged me out of the shop. Theres a certain level you can hit your kids up to in public like a tap on the hand but this was full belt across the backside well out of order im glad i said it might make her think again before she does it again.

Tam i dont mind which ever you prefer

YAY 1000 POST!!!!!!

Last edited by Stephb1986; 08 February 2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08 February 2007, 01:36 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Our daughters' behaviour this morning was pretty appalling which did result in a smacked ****. Shes 5 and most of the time "the look" ususally does the trick.

I don't like shouting at her because she shouts back and its not really teaching her how to behave if shes taught that shouting is the only way to get your point across. Shes gets told several times to stop with the behaviour/attitude and several warnings. The look usually does the trick. Smacking is last resort and IMO although not very effective, serves as a reminder that they are ultimate consequences to poor behaviour.

"Time out" ala' any BBC child program you care to mention, for us, results in full volume screaming and "I hate you, you Barnikel head" (thank you Mr Squarepants!). For us time out is a complete waste of time and just frustrates everyone concerned - and the neighbours to I dare say.
Old 08 February 2007, 05:51 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

never smacked my daughter because my dad smacked me everyday whether i neeed it or not, cant say it left a positive impression on me particularly between 16-21.
i find parents who smack kids do it out of frustration because they dont know how to communicate with their kids, also had a friend who thought it acceptable to smack kids and even said to me once i should be smacking my daughter during a situation yet he went absolutely ape when i pushed a cat off the bonnet of my car, were not friends anymore.

my missus on the other hand regularly gets her bottom spanked!!
Old 09 February 2007, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I have never hit either of my kids. Always found talking to them - or when needed shouting at them was far more effective.

What they beleive you would do if you got pushed too far is always more scarey then the reality.

Too late now anyway. My oldest is an amateur boxing champion and would kick the **** out of me
What you say is quite true but you must have been very lucky with yours that thery were prepared to accept your authority. Not all children are the same though and eventually the only effective thing is a stinging smack on the backside that hurts enough to act as a deterrent. This is a perfectly natural way to bring children up, they do need punishment to correct the error of their ways and very often a sharp smack is the only way to get it across.

No punishment at all is a cop out and eventually leads to an impossible person to control later in life.

Les
Old 09 February 2007, 12:44 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Smacking a child is different to hitting a child. It should be a considered response and performed in the correct situation - not a first off, angry, knee jerk reaction to the parents injured pride or embaressment caused by the child. It is not really appropriate after junior school age and should never be to cause physical damage to the child. and most importantly the child should know that the parent loves them despite the probleem that has caused this discipline to have occurred.

My wife is a 'child health care proffessional' and often recommends a book "Toddler taming" by Christopher Green to parents she is working with.

Waterstones.com: Health and Wellbeing: New Toddler Taming: The World's Bestselling Parenting Guide by Christopher Green (2006)

It ignores PC garbage and brings out real sensible practical ideas to solve problems with parent-child relationships. - highly recommended - even if you're a successful parent - it's nice to know where the 'experts' agree with you

Cheers

Mick
Old 10 February 2007, 10:55 AM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
A 2 year old hoodie was kicked out of a local shop the other week. Didn't even get his **** or White Lightning.
Hoodie toddler gets store ban

Anthony
Old 10 February 2007, 11:09 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bug Eyed Peas
Totally mindless isn't it

Les