Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the dogs nads!

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2001, 11:03 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this the same blowdog that was slagging it off as being a rather average fps a week or ago?

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?ThreadID=56878

[Edited by ptholt - 12/5/2001 11:04:53 PM]
Old 12 June 2001, 02:18 PM
DjacK
Scooby Regular

CounterStrike is for cheats,and kids who aint got no hand to eye skills!

ooops...

[Edited by DjacK - 12/6/2001 2:19:17 PM]
Old 05 December 2001, 05:00 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Anybody else playing this fantastic game? The Granddaddy of all 3D shoot em ups has returned to the fold, and what a return!

Eye candy in the extreme, but the game play and attention to detail is tops. Even on easy it's hard, the AI of the enemies is something else. Not for people who prefer to just run around shooting.

Haven't played it online yet, but there seems to be potential ofr huge phone bills!

Geezer
Old 05 December 2001, 08:38 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

i told you so
Old 05 December 2001, 10:32 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Agreed it looks & plays extremely well but.......

Zombies & the undead though? Boooooooooooooooo
Ruined Thief if you ask me.

Matt
Old 05 December 2001, 10:47 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Matt,

Couldn't agree more. I found the espionage/stealth missions utterly engrosing, especially using the silenced sniper rifle. Really immersive.

But what the hell was up with the damn undead and zombies?? We don't need them in a **** shoot em up!

Bah, I just can't wait for Medal of Honour. That is just gonna be simply fricking amazing.

Cem
Old 05 December 2001, 11:47 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mmm, difficult. to be honest prefered max payne.

but once you have played counter strike online there is no substitute for a FPS.

i have played FPSs since wolfenstein 3d (bugger about 7 years ago!), doom (all versions!) LAN, duke nukem LAN and wireplay!, quake 1,2 & mods - pain keep/arena LAN, unreal tourny LAN, max payne, return to wolfenstein multiplayer test, and counterstrike LAN.

counter strike IS the daddy.

no contest.
Old 06 December 2001, 12:07 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Deus Ex seems to be missing out of that list. Every single-played based FPS game I play is compared to that and Half-Life (the first one) - and not one game since has been better.

Try Deus Ex. The multiplayer support is poor, but then it was never intended as a MP game. It's the best single-layer game I have ever played though, with only the multi-player UT being better through sheer replay value.
Old 06 December 2001, 12:28 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I am about 1/2 way through this now.....most of my colleagues at work also have it and it has really divided opinon.....

I think its quite good, atmospheric and just good shooting fun....along the lines of HL

Others think its poo, formulaic and boring.......

Ah well.....can't win 'em all!!
Old 06 December 2001, 01:51 PM
BryanC
Scooby Regular

Deus Ex isn't really an FPS though - it's more of a Role Playing game.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though - I agree, it and Half-Life, are two of the best games I've ever played...

Bry
Old 06 December 2001, 02:39 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

Want to see some hand to eye skills ?

Look closer.............closer..............closer..... .....Poke
Old 06 December 2001, 02:46 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

LOL @ Norm.

As for you DJack..... don't EVER mock Counterstrike!
Come to one of the [STi] practice sessions and we'll show you hand eye co-ordination at it's best!

Matt
Old 06 December 2001, 06:45 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ptholt,

I AM slagging it off. I think it was a serious missed opportunity for a game which was essentially rushed out for the christmas shoppers.

Cem
Old 06 December 2001, 07:49 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

I sit in two camps regarding this game. The single player is like a world class curry. You know exactly what it's going to be like, but it's done to perfection. The multi player version really could have done with a deathmatch against bots(like UT and Q3).

The final boss is a bit easy IMHO. Mind you no game has yet beat the feeling in the original doom when you hear the thump thump of the cyberdemon's feet clonking outside. 1st time you hear that you really started to get going. Now that was a rock hard boss.
Old 06 December 2001, 10:19 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

i think you summed up the reason for any disapointment cem, rushed out for the xmas shopper.

PC gaming has been in a little bit of a lull (imo) and methinks they decided to exploit that and xmas by ramming it out.

Still think its a class game though (single player) not a huge fan of the team fortress styley multi player tho.
Old 07 December 2001, 12:20 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

I noticed that about the final boss too. Most disappointed that I came away from that with a load of ammo left - any good boss will give you full ammo for every gun just before you meet him, then make you use ALL your ammo, all the spare ammo laying around, every bit of health nearby, all the armour nearby, before you finally resort to running up and kicking him while millions of minions of every type yet faced throughout the game came back in spades

Another gripe I had was that the Tesla gun wasn't nearly destructive enough - a microwave would probably have cooked them better.

Did like the flamethrower though. A lot.
Old 07 December 2001, 01:20 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

no game has yet beat the feeling in the original doom when you hear the thump thump of the cyberdemon's feet clonking outside.
LOL, Neil I remember that so well. God, 4.00am gaming sessions will never be the same again!

PC games are taking longer to make, costing more to make and taking more people to create, so why arent we getting better products?
Old 07 December 2001, 01:40 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Talking

Because it's been done before. Doom worked so well because no one had seen anything like it, and our expectations were lower.

Now we expect to have near photo realistic graphics, dolby 5:1 sound and tons of cut scenes. What's been lost is the art of gripping the players imagination and letting it do the work for you.

I guess it's like some of the old horror movies. You never saw what went on, so your mind filled in the rest. So making it more scary that it otherwise would have been.
Old 07 December 2001, 03:36 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I don't know guy's.....RTCW still has a frisson of fear when going into certain locations.......hovering in the doorway......Do I really want to go in there..........

It's got atmosphere....and thats impressive for what is basically an false made up reality.

I think computer games will get ever more realistic to a point...the main drawback is the physical atmosphere around you...when your playing in a nice warm dining room, when the game map shows you are in an icy wasteland there's only so much you can fool the brain into believing....now if you added a PCI card air con unit and USB wind machine NOW then your talking........ (2000 & XP only. Additional hardware/software maybe required TM)
Old 07 December 2001, 06:32 PM
roadrunner
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I think RTCW is nothing special, true I only given it a few hours play but I'm already bored by it. And the animation is soooo crap. Please, ID sort that out!!!

rr