Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What will it take to "fix" the Planet??

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2007, 09:57 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What will it take to "fix" the Planet??

Assuming that todays news that Global warming is definitely real now for sure..
and along those lines...
What will it actually take to remove what we have done to the atmosphere and environment?
Does it need en mass action NOW... or is it really too late?

I'd prefer it if this thread went in a direction of ways we can / should fix things rather than more spiel about it being a load of old hog wash.. (done those threads to death recently)
How drastic do you think it need to get....
Some ideas thrown into the mix.
Reduce the population explosion by restricting each female to one kid..
When the stats show that there are more people living today than have EVER DIED, it kind of puts into perspective how many people are crammed onto this planet.
Bring online Nuclear power / shut down coal and gas plants (power plants)
and sod the objections to it, same with Windmills, geothermal plants etc.
All new build houses to have a windmill and solar power / heat as standard.
Existing builds to get government grants to do the same.
All public transport to be made electric for the short term (being charged up by the Nuclear stations of course) and when (if it isn't already) ready to be powered solely by Bio fuel/ cell.
Mass campaign to save energy / be energy efficient... or be taxed on it.

Aeroplanes causing the global dimming.. now there's a point I'm not sure what to do as they are currently masking the effects. Reduce flights and watch the temp rise rapidly or keep them flying until we can reduce the effects from under it's haze first??(But at least help Branson get that bio aerofuel online.)
How about dumping a load of fresh water into the Atlantic to stop the gulf stream and bring on a new Ice age to get the Ice caps increased.
Admittedly I don't know enough about the eco system to understand whether this is the earths thermostat or not but it appears that way to me.

One argument from the powers that be obviously would be "ahh, but the cost"
Well I think this time money no longer makes world go round, in fact in this instance if the red tape to getting any of this done is "money" orientated then the new slogan will be "Money stopped the world from going round!

Your thoughts on what can be done.
It's not like the world doesn't have the technology, man power or drive to start the ball rolling TODAY!
Old 02 February 2007, 10:19 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Nothing short of a complete change to the worlds society will have any impact.
Boil it down to your personal circumstances, and see what you could do, but aren't allowed, for one reason or another.

I could work from home 5 days a week ( seriously, with only a slight drop in effectiveness ) but bosses wouldn't allow it. How many others can say the same thing? How much carbon saved if we were allowed? Multiply that by millions of people across the globe! Change the 09:00 - 17:00 pm daily grind, let people work any hours between 06:00 and 20:00. Watch the rush hour wither and die, as people move their working days to fit their lifestyles. More carbon savings.
But it will never happen, not until its too late anyway. The human race is chasing money, and that chase will destroy us.

We don't have the leaders with vision to drive through the agenda required,
and even if we did, its Mother Nature saying:

" So you think YOU run the planet? Let me show you whose boss"
Old 02 February 2007, 10:26 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

The human race is chasing money, and that chase will destroy us.
Totally agree with you there..
Old 02 February 2007, 10:29 PM
monkeysan
Scooby Regular

a geet big sticky plaster?

it's beyond repair IMO
Old 02 February 2007, 10:38 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Reverse Globalisation.
Ration energy, no trading.
Tell the rich and uber rich they are no longer such and will have as much or as little as everyone else.
Well, it ain't going to happen, so enjoy the ride to Doomsday.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:44 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cows are to blame. Even the BeeB says so.

BBC NEWS | Talk about Newsnight | Meet Daisy the cow – global climate’s enemy number one.

... the main culprit is out there in the fields, chewing her cud. It turns out that livestock – predominantly cattle – are responsible for an astonishing proportion of global warming gases - 18 per cent of the total, to be precise.

That’s right, almost a fifth of all emissions which is more greenhouse gas emissions than all the transport on earth – planes, trains, cars, skidoos the lot.

Ban cows! Job done
Oh and bring increase the contribution of nuclear energy as a power source. The Greens are to blame for the increase in CO2 emissions that resulting from stopping expansion in this area and causing fossil fuels to be burned instead
Old 02 February 2007, 10:50 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think people in general need to realise that what they individually choose to do is what makes the difference. There's someone I know who I get into endless arguments with because his belief is that he's not really bothered how much waste he makes because he thinks his taxes are paid so that someone else can clean up after him. A lot of people need to understand that we are past the point at which we can 'buy' our way out of trouble. We need to change our way of thinking.

To get right down to brass tacks, on Scoobynet, that means let's have no more talk of decat pipes. It's just silly. This is 2007, not 1997.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:51 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
Cows are to blame. Even the BeeB says so.

BBC NEWS | Talk about Newsnight | Meet Daisy the cow – global climate’s enemy number one.

... the main culprit is out there in the fields, chewing her cud. It turns out that livestock – predominantly cattle – are responsible for an astonishing proportion of global warming gases - 18 per cent of the total, to be precise.

That’s right, almost a fifth of all emissions which is more greenhouse gas emissions than all the transport on earth – planes, trains, cars, skidoos the lot.

Ban cows! Job done
Yup, go Vegan.
Seriously.
Would any politician try to get that through though?
No USA one I'm sure.
Old 02 February 2007, 10:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Stop worring about trying to fix the impossible and focus on adapting to cope with it
Old 02 February 2007, 11:01 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

there is no way to reverse whats happened.
But who gives a ****, I'm gonna be dead in 50 years!
Enjoy it while it lasts, thats what I say.

astraboy.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:03 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

/\ /\ /\ /\Here in lies the problem.

Andy
Old 02 February 2007, 11:22 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

I'll be brief. It isn't going to require us all to start living in iPod-like cubes. If you watched BBC World news week ago there was a fantastic debate with leaders from some of the world's top companies contributing. These are very clever guys. What it needs is the political will to make a change. There are business opportunities in every possible option so the world's economy is not going to grind to a halt. All that will happen is that money is made in different areas. The world's politicians will have to agree and when they do change will be possible.

I want to post loads on this but don't have the time. The next decade is going to be very interesting.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:30 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I want to post loads on this but don't have the time. The next decade is going to be very interesting.
Find the time and give us your insight.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:34 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Don't go Vegan, the human digestive system isn't designed to cope with it. Besides, didn't you know that plants have far more toxins in them (that were evolved to discourage grazing) than animal flesh.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:34 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
Find the time and give us your insight.
OK, just let me fly home from America first and I'll get typing. Thanks for the positive post.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:36 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Apparantly this January was the 2nd hottest ever....it was a warm one huh.

....and the hottest January, yep, 1916! Before planes, cars and the industrial revolution.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:38 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
1916! Before the industrial revolution.

Failed your O level history there.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:38 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Now therein lies the problem. You're stifling debate exactly like the politicians are! They always start off with 'The science is a done deal/noone disagrees with the science ...' etc etc.

Tell a lie often enough and it becomes a truth .......

Dave
The only reason to stifle "that" side of the debate is the fact there are and have been a number of debates on other tangents already on this forum.
I wanted to try and keep this thread clear to the objective that I set out in my OP.
If you have the opinion that it is indeed a load of hogwash then please post in the relevant thread, not pollute this one.. that's all.
Clear views on this one subject is much easier on the eye than having to scroll through "it's not happening, it's a conspiracy etc" as that's already been done to death elsewhere.

Andy
Old 02 February 2007, 11:41 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Failed your O level history there.
It would be a GCSE, but I did Humanities anyway
Old 02 February 2007, 11:43 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
It would be a GCSE, but I did Humanities anyway
Complete this quotation:

"Crop rotation in the fourteenth century was considerably more widespread after..."

Old 02 February 2007, 11:44 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Please don't spoil it Bubbs...
Old 02 February 2007, 11:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

even if you were to remove all man made polutants it would still happen,m every 10k years we have an ice age, which is caused by a warming of the plannet, if humans have caused anything then its just to slightly speed it up. but the next ice age is about 1000 years overdue.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:49 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Yep, come on Bubbs...let the BBC propoganda propogate further.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:50 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Yup, go Vegan.
Seriously.
Would any politician try to get that through though?
No USA one I'm sure.
anything that culture duz is irie ebd ny.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:51 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tidgy
even if you were to remove all man made polutants it would still happen,m every 10k years we have an ice age, which is caused by a warming of the plannet, if humans have caused anything then its just to slightly speed it up. but the next ice age is about 1000 years overdue.
The UN experts would seem to disagree with you, but what would they know
Old 02 February 2007, 11:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If (BIG IF) man is somehow responsible, then it is primarily our sheer numbers which are overloading the ecosystem. Worldwide systematic population reduction to get us below 6bn (or even better, 4bn) and maintain a sustainable level thereafter would start the recovery, but it would be a long job taking probably a century or more. Completely unachievable of course, so lets just use it as an excuse to tax some cash out of everybody.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:53 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Suresh
The UN experts would seem to disagree with you, but what would they know

the un have got there own agenda, as usual.

for every report that says humans cause global warming theres anopther saying they don't (although i do belive they are), bu there is no doubt in the past there have been hot periods followed by ice ages, its a know and agreed fact.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:54 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Sorry.

As a serious point, all this crap about "saving the planet" is a complete obfuscation of the real issue, which is saving the human species. As a student of Geology and Palaeontology I can tell you that the "Planet" has recovered from episodes of up to 96% species extinction many times over the last 600 million years. Humanity won't recover from any degree of species extinction.
Old 02 February 2007, 11:59 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If we were to stop all manmade carbon emissions:

The world would still heat up in the short term, manmade effect on this is quite a minority.
We will still have an ice age in many thousands of years time, solar seasons are tediously slow.
The Yellowstone super volcano will still erupt, which could well cull a vast majority of life - this is overdue according to the experts.
If it isn't from home, the moon is a constant reminder that doomsday asteroids are out there.
I fear thermo nuclear device technology will be widely available and used by a non government group within the next 100 years.
The sun will get hotter, the planet will be scorched in billions of years time as our solar system finally snuffs it..

etc etc which basically means this moment of time on our planet is fairly insignificant in scoping this planet's destiny.

However, as the human race becomes more advanced in terms of science, technology and understanding we should learn from our findings wrt our impact on the planet (and other things like religion but I won't even go there).

But the sceptic in me (in a polar sort of way) sees reports funded by the greens saying our carbon footprint is to blame - being countered by reports sponsored by the oil companies saying its 600,000 year cycles.

All I do know is that whilst my heating bills and fuel bills rise whilst the airlines are paying 0 tax on their fuel - the governments care more about revenue generation more than the planet, thats for sure, spin it how you like. Which is why I loathe these green taxes that will surely come - until real action is taken re the airlines, oil production, power stations - even real investment in electric transport (non carbon sources) etc will I openly accept paying my way.

Another thought is in our long term, say a few generations (which is a couple of moments in the life of the planet) the oil will run out (lets face it we are extracting at a rate higher than it is naturally made!) so the carbon emission thing will self regulate anyway, but in our lifetime (and that of our governments) lets make money out of it