Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

V5 for abandoned vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2007, 12:13 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V5 for abandoned vehicle

Is it possible to technically claim ownership of an abandoned vehicle? THere is a motor near us and the tax has expired etc and its a decent enough car, worth a couple of grand at least and the guy who did own it has run off abroad away from the police...

Fair to say he ain't coming back. Car is untaxed and has been reported as abandonded. There is no outstanding finance, he doesn't have any relatives nearby.

I know you can apply for a V5 but can you legally 'own' a car you never paid for (even if the person who did isn't going to chase and question you about it?

Just wondering if it is worth speaking to a locksmith!

5t.
Old 02 February 2007, 12:22 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Theorectically, yes, you canapply for a new v5 in your name. Can't remember which form it is, but I've done before on a few cars I bought without a V5.

The DVLA then send a letter to the current owner to ask them to surrender their V5. Which either they; a)ignore it and do nothing b)call the police and tell them their car has been nicked (by you ).

Take your chances, but if its a) then after about 2weeks the DVLA will reissue a new V5 in your name.
Old 02 February 2007, 12:23 PM
Baby Scuff
Scooby Regular

Friend of mine did this once a few years ago, he found an untaxed Astra sport in tesco's car park with removal notices on. He contacted the police, he agreed he could take it but first he had to apply for the V5, DVLA will write to the current owner saying someone is trying to register your car and he will have 28? days to contest.
This wasn't contested, so he had the car, trailed it away, changed the locks, mot'ed, insured and taxed it, drove it for a while then sold it for £2500 to his brother
Old 02 February 2007, 12:30 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I belive this might possibly be the form you need: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v62online.pdf

Old 02 February 2007, 12:35 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

V5 only shows who the registered keeper is. That is not the same as being the owner.

By registering the vehicle in your name you become liable for all the taxes, MOT and gubbins, but you do not have title over the car, and therefore cannot legally sell the car.
Old 02 February 2007, 12:38 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ask yourself this

if he comes back and finds you have "stolen" his car would you really want to be on the wrong side of someone who is already avoiding the police?
Old 02 February 2007, 12:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baby Scuff
Friend of mine did this once a few years ago, he found an untaxed Astra sport in tesco's car park with removal notices on. He contacted the police, he agreed he could take it but first he had to apply for the V5, DVLA will write to the current owner saying someone is trying to register your car and he will have 28? days to contest.
This wasn't contested, so he had the car, trailed it away, changed the locks, mot'ed, insured and taxed it, drove it for a while then sold it for £2500 to his brother
That's interesting and sounds like what we are talking about here. I assume no contest and if they are given the chance to do something about it then i guess it should be ok.

Can't see coming back as an issue but appreciate that the V5 is not an ownership paper (in the case of finance/stolen cars etc) which is why we checked out the finance situation.

Might go for it and see what happens! Be good to run round in and save the subaru for nice journeys.

cheers chaps.
Old 02 February 2007, 01:44 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

It gets better...

DVLA "no keeper on record" ????
Old 02 February 2007, 02:36 PM
Baby Scuff
Scooby Regular

I agree with Jjones, how dodgy is this bloke thats on the run from the police, is it worth the money, if he comes back and finds out what you have done.
My friend never had any comeback from his and his brother kept the car for 2 years. It was trashed at one point though.... not sure if there was a connection!.
Old 02 February 2007, 07:17 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so if there's no,keeper on record now and you register it in your name (address, etc) you might end up with outstanding speeding fines/ parking charges/ etc
Old 03 February 2007, 04:02 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

no keeper is quite common, he prob run the car around not wanting it registered in his name, send for a v5 with a v62, will cost you £19

the min you get the logbook sorn the car, and ovb move the car from its position, to be fair if what you say is correct id already have the car tucked away in a garage somewere, if th **** hits the fan be honest dont lie
Old 03 February 2007, 04:26 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

could the car be twined to another vehicle and thats why its just been left when they did one???????????????????

personally think your digging yourself a hole
Old 03 February 2007, 05:11 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I also know of a similar car. quite an interesting read...
Old 03 February 2007, 07:02 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
so if there's no,keeper on record now and you register it in your name (address, etc) you might end up with outstanding speeding fines/ parking charges/ etc
no because you put the date of the application on the form, i.e. 3 feb 07. They wont be able to send speeding fines etc for dates prior to this.
Old 03 February 2007, 07:24 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

if you know for a fact the bloke has done a runner and no ones interested in the car do it, it will be yours no problem. maybe register it in your name, store it for a few months just incase someone comes for it then shift it
Old 03 February 2007, 09:08 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

A member of another forum I use did exactly this.
He found an untaxed car parked in a residential street. It hadnt moved for a long time and none of the residents knew who owned it.
He applied for the V5 which came in his name. Meanwhile He had the car lifted to a secure location.
He then spent a couple of hundred on a new lock-set and a few other bits n bobs.

A few weeks later the cars owner turned up asking for it back. (cant remember how the owner found the guy, maybe her reported the car stolen and the police found out?)

Turned out that the car was owned by a local car dealer who had left it there as he had no room in his yard for it.
In the end the guy had to hand the car back, although I think the dealer remibursed most of the guys costs iirc.
Old 03 February 2007, 11:30 PM
Multijfj
Scooby Regular

Screw it mate

Get the car to a safe place, apply for V5, slap it on autotrader, or sell it to a garage for a quicksale.

Thats what I would do anyway, its free money at the end of the day.

Dont bother waiting round, and if you dont wana apply for the V5, pm me and let me know, I will do it and sort you out with 40% of the profit!
Old 04 February 2007, 02:12 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

that's a good offer heh. as far as we can see there isn't much come back. its going to be uplifted by the council and then crushed so even if the guy turns up i've done him a favour and saved his motor!

5t.