Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Garage vs house price.

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2007, 10:13 AM
SupaMiniCupa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage vs house price.

I've just moved into a house (138k, semi, West Mids, quiet area). House has a pre-fab style garage which is OK but not ideal. (Leaky, damp, not that secure etc etc).

If I have a proper brick garage built in its place, how much do we think it will add to the house value? (Lets assume for arguments sake that house prices won't drop, for arguments sake).

Is it going to be worth a lot more as the garage is brick built? Or not worth that much extra as the purchase price already included garage, regardless of build?

I realise it depends on the cost of the build to see if it's worth my while.

Thoughts please? Thanks
Old 25 January 2007, 10:21 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I wouldnt say it'd make too much difference tbh.
Old 25 January 2007, 10:23 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

It will make the house more aestetically pleasing, however no two properties are the same, you could say the same about decor, garden and so on. It's a bit like a new kitchen, doesn't make it worth more because a kitchen is expected, however it means the house is more desirable and therefore more likely to have offers at asking price.

Make sense?
Old 25 January 2007, 10:35 AM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

From having NO garage to having a single garage built oop norf the agents say it adds around £10k to their valuations.

To go from a prefab to brick built, it depends on how poor a condition the prefab one was in, and how "nice" the new one will be.
It certainly won't lose value by being a new brick built garage, but won't add that much in terms of estate agent valuation.
However, it may well add more to the final selling price though and on that basis I would always build a brick built garage on a house I was selling.

Bob
Old 25 January 2007, 11:40 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Another question might be how much value could you add by spending the same amount of money elsewhere? Such as a new kitchen, bathrooms etc. Or anywhere else that might need money spending.
Old 25 January 2007, 12:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You've only just done the research yourself. What did you think when you first saw the house with a dodgy garage, compared to the others you saw?

I suggest you view any change as an improvement in home quality, rather than investment.
Old 25 January 2007, 12:24 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Will you have to sell the car to fund it

If you are building a new one might be worth thinking about other uses for the future like a work room or kids room? i.e. pop some pipes/power in the base slab and may be a window if allowed.
Old 25 January 2007, 06:22 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Will it add? Almost certainly - by making the house more desirable, it will add to the potential price you could sell it for. Will it add as much to the value as it costs to do it? Probably not; the same applies to a lot of other things you could do with houses. I wouldn't buy a house, rip out the pre-fab and add a brick built garage and try to sell it on as a business opportunity! However, if you're going to live there, and you don't like the old garage do it! You'll benefit the whole time you're there, and get at least some of your money back when you sell the house - it'll depreciate a lot less than a new car/TV etc!
Old 25 January 2007, 06:27 PM
jay knowles
Scooby Regular

I built a 4 car garage at my last house,when i sold the property sold for more than any house had done so before in the area.I had 5 full asking price offers the next day.The garage did sell the house and a bidding war commenced.
Old 25 January 2007, 06:53 PM
wrx-ian
Scooby Regular

I`ve been thinking of putting a garage on the side of our house.
Most people seem to think it will add value to the house.
But has anyone got a rough ball park figure it would cost to build a double garage with power??
Old 25 January 2007, 07:50 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx-ian
But has anyone got a rough ball park figure it would cost to build a double garage with power??

Dependinng on spec' £5 - £10k

Bob
Old 25 January 2007, 11:13 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jay knowles
I built a 4 car garage at my last house,when i sold the property sold for more than any house had done so before in the area.I had 5 full asking price offers the next day.The garage did sell the house and a bidding war commenced.
I don't doubt it. However, I'm guessing you're comparing a house with a 4 car garage to one with no garage or a small single garage? The difference in value will be a lot smaller if you're comparing a house with a single brick built garage versus a house with a tatty pre-fab single garage.