Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Spam email can someone please explain why ?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2007, 11:05 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool Spam email can someone please explain why ?

ok I got sent this today, I get sent lots of these and just treated it as spam and deleted them as I had no idea what they were or what the point of them is. So can someone explain to me what is this all about and why do people send them. Firstly I thought there maybe a virus embedded in it but now I am just convinced they are sent by wierdos. The one I got today was not only addressed to me but to other people in HP.

Reading the message at the top, our mail filters stripped out a gif attachment and converted the message to plain text. So again I ask you WTF is thsi all about.

"
The taught cause example careful of the error fatally is very simple. The door swung analyse open, and he weigh authority bled saw Passepartout, Aoud wriggle The captain spoke in a tone which spent sparkling did justly not admit ofserve outside Fix hole was out of breath, and his calm hair was in disorde
`Between jewel speedily eight and nine knots the hour. bag produce Will you l `But made I thought there enjoy was a dug great bred deal of disturban hover `It pipe was station trade only a meeting assembled for an election.'
`Yes.'
Phileas Fogg fly bind had, without screw subtract suspecting it, gained onpaint Phileas Fogg was free! jam rung He walked shrilly to the detective,stung `But the soap owners of the "Henrietta" - value man ,' resumed Phmist whip on deliberately `Well hit!' cried Passepartout. `Parbleu! that's w rat `Your soak honour will be satisfied ornament pull with her. Is it for bath `The laugh election of a general-in-chief, repulsive book no doubt?' as curtain look bovine `No, sir; of a porter justice of the peace.'
fruit found wave polish `No; for a voyage.'
In dug look journeying eastward delight he had gone afterwards towards the sunFix, who spun disease found existence himself on the histrionic floor, did not utter`The owners are wrestle myself,' replied insurance cart upset the captain. `ThePhileas Fogg kept asked if there was itch an tendency withstood express train a
`A voyage?' Phileas Fogg describe got self fact into the exuberant train, which started off `From fear ocean to ocean,' purring comb - so square say the Americans; and
`Yes; will hole iron shakily you agree to rhyme take me to Yokohama?' `I will challenge carriage freight shoe ball it for you.' knit And poorly pleasure Passepartout's anxiously famous family watch, which hadplate overthrow Phileas Fogg commercial then cloth ordered a special train.`No.'There were several short cough rapid locomotives colourful forgotten on hand; but
The sailor leaned on system the steep night railing, nearly opened his eyes New big York and San Francisco never are mortally truthfully thus united by an u The distribution lock journey from New York slow shrank to San Francisco consume
That wearily answer evening, Mr reason ray Fogg, as tranquil and phlegmaticHaving bet made the receipt square tour of bang the world, he was behindha`No.'The shakily balneal strove answer dwellers in Saville Row would have been surpri
`I offer authority rule eye you a hundred paste pounds per day, and an addiSuch was the boast road tremble to strive be traversed pin in seven days, w The car which he fast occupied was creep a brother sun sort of long omnib surprise good `Are ornithic jagged you in earnest?'

stay waste `Pardon me, crush madam; my fortune belongs cruel to you If yMr sling Fogg's course, however, hug violently was press fully decided upon;Still, fair some means must be mute plastic found fresh to cross the AtlanA room in the house float in curve Saville Row screw was flame set apart f taken deep Mr trip Fogg turned to Aouda and asked science her, `You would There was meddle soft but little accidentally conversation fetch in the car, and Snow cerebric began river to tick fall an hour bewildered after they started, a f
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']The pilot egg now returned, zoom shuffling fit chew his hat in his hcushion The night new passed. Mr Fogg science went to announce bed, but did he "[/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'][/font]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'] [/font]
Old 24 January 2007, 11:07 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol I got a wierd one today aswell.

Hi!!!
How are you? My name is Liliya. I am 26 years old. I live in Russia, city Zelenodolsk . I wish tell to you history which have pushed me write to you. 6 months ago I have got acquainted with the man by internet, his name mike. During this time we had good relations. We have understood that our relations become serious and we have decided to meet in the mike's coutry. I wrote the application for reception the visa.. I waited reception of the visa approximately half of year.
All time I kept in touch with mike through the internet. I and mike waited reception of the visa to our meeting.

I have received the invitation from the ambassador for reception of the visa. My director has given me long-term holiday from work and I have gone to Moscow to receive the visa. I informed good news to mike, but he has answered, that does not want our meeting. He played with me. He has informed that has the wife with two children and at all has no plans to meet me. I was not ready to such turn of events, i was shoked. I could not think what even after 6 months of acquaintance he can so unscrupulously act with me. And i deciede to find someone who can meet with me and i have gone to meeting agency and they give me your e-mail... Now I am in Moscow to recieve my visa. I don't want that all was gone for nothing and will be glad if my visa will be useful to our meeting. I could arrive already through
4-5 days but a problem in that NOW I HAVEN'T MAN WHICH WOULD LIKE MY ARRIVAL.
Probable it will silly sound but if you will be interested in a meeting with the good woman I will like to meet you sometime soon! As mike was dishonest with me I have decided to find the man which is interested to meet the woman from Russia.

I do not know your ideas about my letter, but it would be fine if we could meet and have some weeks or months together.Also the basic purpose for the future it is search good men for serious attitudes which go to a marriage. I have no children, but I want to have children in the future. I am the mature woman and ready to creation of family with good man. I do not know what you really search in the future but if we could meet I shall be happy to discuss with you more about our meeting. What are you going to do this time? It would be fine if we could meet, do friendship or more than simply friendship. I will be happy if you also have a free time and we could meet soon. I do not know your interests, but anyhow write to me back and I will tell to you more about myself. Write to me all that you want.

Maybe we have similar plans and it will be interesting to us together.
also i am sending you my photos, and waiting yours!
You can write all that you want. Ask any questions which interest you.
Please, write to me back on my regular e-mail: liliyasup@bk.ru(SM. NISHE) Liliya from russia
Old 24 January 2007, 11:08 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Random valid words to get past spam filters, often in the same colour as the background or v small font. There's usually an image with link with the actual spam embedded.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:12 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by stevem2k
Random valid words to get past spam filters, often in the same colour as the background or v small font. There's usually an image with link with the actual spam embedded.
Ok ta.

Didn't make it past our spam filter though It was stripped of its payload and converted to plain text before being dumped in the junk email folder.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:20 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

i hate it. With my hotmail i keep blocking stuff and it never comes back.. slowly getting there. only get email from companies now which is good.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:22 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

set up a email account on yahoo and send one back, pmsl
Old 24 January 2007, 11:23 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Gutted!! I thought I was special to Liliya. That's the first I've heard of Mike too!! She sure was dishonest and I'm cancelling our meeting, this weekend.

Thanks for letting me know Dave.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:23 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Basically mate, it is (I think) not the content this particular wierdo gave a monkeys about, he was probably more concerned with the mechanics behind sending it to umpteen thousand people - i.e. playing with unix scripting of some sort.

Just my only logical guess

Cheers
RIIIDAA
jack-brown-appeal

Last edited by riiidaa; 24 January 2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 24 January 2007, 11:30 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Spoon
Gutted!! I thought I was special to Liliya. That's the first I've heard of Mike too!! She sure was dishonest and I'm cancelling our meeting, this weekend.

Thanks for letting me know Dave.
No probs mate, them women are devious creatures.
Old 24 January 2007, 06:42 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
lol I got a wierd one today aswell.

Hi!!!
How are you? My name is Liliya. I am 26 years old. I live in Russia, city Zelenodolsk . I wish tell to you history which have pushed me write to you. 6 months ago I have got acquainted with the man by internet, his name mike. During this time we had good relations. We have understood that our relations become serious and we have decided to meet in the mike's coutry. I wrote the application for reception the visa.. I waited reception of the visa approximately half of year.
All time I kept in touch with mike through the internet. I and mike waited reception of the visa to our meeting.

I have received the invitation from the ambassador for reception of the visa. My director has given me long-term holiday from work and I have gone to Moscow to receive the visa. I informed good news to mike, but he has answered, that does not want our meeting. He played with me. He has informed that has the wife with two children and at all has no plans to meet me. I was not ready to such turn of events, i was shoked. I could not think what even after 6 months of acquaintance he can so unscrupulously act with me. And i deciede to find someone who can meet with me and i have gone to meeting agency and they give me your e-mail... Now I am in Moscow to recieve my visa. I don't want that all was gone for nothing and will be glad if my visa will be useful to our meeting. I could arrive already through
4-5 days but a problem in that NOW I HAVEN'T MAN WHICH WOULD LIKE MY ARRIVAL.
Probable it will silly sound but if you will be interested in a meeting with the good woman I will like to meet you sometime soon! As mike was dishonest with me I have decided to find the man which is interested to meet the woman from Russia.

I do not know your ideas about my letter, but it would be fine if we could meet and have some weeks or months together.Also the basic purpose for the future it is search good men for serious attitudes which go to a marriage. I have no children, but I want to have children in the future. I am the mature woman and ready to creation of family with good man. I do not know what you really search in the future but if we could meet I shall be happy to discuss with you more about our meeting. What are you going to do this time? It would be fine if we could meet, do friendship or more than simply friendship. I will be happy if you also have a free time and we could meet soon. I do not know your interests, but anyhow write to me back and I will tell to you more about myself. Write to me all that you want.

Maybe we have similar plans and it will be interesting to us together.
also i am sending you my photos, and waiting yours!
You can write all that you want. Ask any questions which interest you.
Please, write to me back on my regular e-mail: liliyasup@bk.ru(SM. NISHE) Liliya from russia

email sent
Old 27 January 2007, 05:32 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

**** thread now all leave door is ---------------------------->
Old 27 January 2007, 06:57 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

FWIW the garbage text is trying to defeat bayes spam filtering. Bayes works by knowing the probabilities that words are in spam or not. If the bayes filter sees a lot of words that are normally in non-spam, then it will tend to let the mail through. What the spammer is doing here is using lots of words that are not normally in spam to get his spam through. The real payload was the gif image. This would have been an image of some text pushing a stock or selling something.

I work on detecting spam every day and personally I don't rate bayes, especially at the gateway.

The second spam is typical sad Russian bride spam.
Old 28 January 2007, 12:43 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin
FWIW the garbage text is trying to defeat bayes spam filtering. Bayes works by knowing the probabilities that words are in spam or not. If the bayes filter sees a lot of words that are normally in non-spam, then it will tend to let the mail through. What the spammer is doing here is using lots of words that are not normally in spam to get his spam through. The real payload was the gif image. This would have been an image of some text pushing a stock or selling something.

I work on detecting spam every day and personally I don't rate bayes, especially at the gateway.
thanks for that piece of info - we get bombarded with Spam at work (about 3,000 or so per week) and I could never understand why most of the text in the spam messages was an incoherent set of words and phrases.
Now I know.
Must admit most spam gets picked up by the spam filter (explicit spam) but some gets thru to the 'suspect spam' directory and the odd one or two get through to the desktop - of the like described above.
So, if the Bayes theorem isn't cutting it, what's the next trick in the anti-spammers toolkit?
Old 28 January 2007, 06:52 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philc
thanks for that piece of info - we get bombarded with Spam at work (about 3,000 or so per week) and I could never understand why most of the text in the spam messages was an incoherent set of words and phrases.
Now I know.
Must admit most spam gets picked up by the spam filter (explicit spam) but some gets thru to the 'suspect spam' directory and the odd one or two get through to the desktop - of the like described above.
So, if the Bayes theorem isn't cutting it, what's the next trick in the anti-spammers toolkit?
dont give your email addresses out...

or go back to something tried and trusted.... telephone or letters

Mart
Old 28 January 2007, 03:03 PM
merlin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philc
Now I know.
One possibility for image spam is OCR (optical character recognition). I have my doubts because it is slow and spammers have already started adding noise to their images to make it more difficult for OCR.

I prefer other approaches. Unfortunately I cannot go into them on a public forum. I don't want the spammers and our competitors knowing what we are doing. One thing I will say is that image spam detection is possible - this morning we were detecting 99.87% of image spam and the remaining 0.13% was probably non-spam that has found its way into our spam feeds.