Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Gas boiler cover

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2007, 10:04 AM
The Hoff
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default British Gas boiler cover

Currently with British gas ans looking to get the insurance for the boiler and controls (maybe radiators and drains as well).

link -https://www.britishgas.biz/boiler_breakdown/homecareandflexilandingpage.aspx

There are two options, Home care and Home care flexi. Basically the flexi is slightly cheaper but you pay a fixed fee of £50 per fault rather than nothing at all with the more expensive option.

Firstly, if I take the cheaper option on the higher cover options like the 300. The cost saving of the cheaper one would add up to the £50 charge in a few months. Assuming there would be only one fault then this looks like the better option

And secondly... If I had an emergency, needed to call out an engineer and was hit with a big repair bill - would this not be covered under my house insurance?

Does anyone else take out this cover or am I being suckered in for extra cover for no reason? They have not approached me for this, its just peace of mind that I am looking for.

Cheers,

The Hoff
Old 23 January 2007, 10:19 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Hoff
If I had an emergency, needed to call out an engineer and was hit with a big repair bill - would this not be covered under my house insurance?
Depends, if the boiler stops working because your house has burnt down, then yes it would be covered. If the pump blows up due to limescale or such then no, that's normal wear and tear.
Old 23 January 2007, 10:28 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Just renewed mine with them [minus the increase they wanted]. It covers the boiler only for about £14 a month.

Had 8 visits to cure a troublesome fault where they replaced tons of components and another more recently to replace the water flow meter [2yr old Worcester Bosch...]. This would probably have bankrupted me via Yellowpages plumbers so I dont care if I never claim again and will keep paying the premiums.

I also do a policy for the flat I let, this is £19 inc rads. Again I am not at the mercy of rogues who visit and go '$kerching$' at absent landlords with female tenants [they are there today actually]. Worth every penny I'd say.

D
Old 23 January 2007, 10:30 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

The joys of Dad working for British Gas
Old 23 January 2007, 11:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Back when my parents were alive, I went round there one evening when British Gas had been to service their boiler. I thought I could smell gas, so took the front cover off the boiler casing, to find that the main gas inlet pipe to the gas valve was only hand tight

The Corgi registered nobber that did it, forgot to nip it up with his spanner when he'd put it back together.

Alcazar