Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

child care

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2007, 10:00 PM
sl1cksterjam
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default child care

The Mrs is going back into employment in October (training) she will earn 15k a year, I earn approx 40k a year. Child care will cost 30 pound a day, 2/3 days a week I was wondering are we entitled to allowance for the cost of childcare and if so what percentage. If anyone could enlighten us please...

Thanks in advance.
Old 22 January 2007, 10:13 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

God damn,if ur on £40k and she`s on £15k, £55k a yr dont be so stindgy !!!

on a side note, i think your entitled to some allowance/vouchers etc when the kid goes to school,i let the missus deal with that side of it,all i know is i used to pay £150 a month for my eldest to go to day care twice a week for the afternoons only,now i pay £15 as she is nearly 4 and gets vouchers as she now goes to a school type place not day care place.

oh, and were on a combined salary of £25k per annum,she dont work LOL,well,she does now, evenings only tho so 25 hrs a week
Old 22 January 2007, 10:54 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The year before they go to school the govt fund a number of sessions. From memory it was 4 sessions (half days) per week. And they are not subject to an earnings limit.
Old 22 January 2007, 11:20 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL or dare I say it, you go to work as usual, your wife/other half stays home and looks after the little'un. My wife and I manage to do that on half your combined salary with no savings, no investments, no property and no other income apart from child benefit.

Still, good luck if you can make the numbers add up and of course I don't know all your circumstances.
Old 22 January 2007, 11:37 PM
Scooby Regular

on your wage i doubt it mate.
Old 22 January 2007, 11:50 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

bloody cheek i say !!!! the government has it all wrong !!! you will be entitled to summit however but if like me ( part time and wife is a student nurse) you get jack **** because she isnt officially working !! ..we get 20k between us !! ..now if my wife was working making 20k as a nurse we would get the full allowance !!! absolute bollox !! ye cannae get it when ye need it !!! so considering yer wages ya miserable bugger, i would be content with what you got !!
Old 22 January 2007, 11:50 PM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

is yer name bill????????? miserabill !!!!
Old 22 January 2007, 11:54 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rabskyline
bloody cheek i say !!!! the government has it all wrong !!! you will be entitled to summit however but if like me ( part time and wife is a student nurse) you get jack **** because she isnt officially working !! ..we get 20k between us !! ..now if my wife was working making 20k as a nurse we would get the full allowance !!! absolute bollox !! ye cannae get it when ye need it !!! so considering yer wages ya miserable bugger, i would be content with what you got !!
the rules are a farce.i hate to say it but if your an imagrant they fall over there selfs to help you,but if your born and bred hear your just a money machine for ther bright ideas
Old 22 January 2007, 11:58 PM
34srm
Scooby Regular

gotta say your not wrong
Old 23 January 2007, 12:02 AM
jen98impreza
Scooby Regular

Sorry,but is this actually a real thread or have you purposefully been up thinking of somethin to write just to rub our noses in it?!!(55k a year)!! Your not funny
Old 23 January 2007, 12:16 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

is this guys name goldstein ??? and does he have a big nose cos the air is free !!!!
Old 23 January 2007, 07:10 AM
sl1cksterjam
Scooby Newbie

We have just bought a new house, did own one previously but sold it just at the wrong time, so have basically had to start again on the property ladder. It seems that alot of you do not know how hard that is now, everything that goes along with the mortgage is also inflated in costs due to higher borrowing. I am self employed so have to cover my payments in case of injury or loss of work, my payment protection and insurance payments are more than my previous mortgage total payments.I have 3 children from a previous relationship and 1 toddler with my current partner. we have to run 3 vehicles, 1 is hers,1 for business and 1 for 50/50 business/pleasure. She wishes to return to work to train in the probation service and currently does 2 1/2 days a week voluntary work with people with mental illnesses. our toddler is 2 in October and we have found a nursery for her to start at then that is situated on a farm, activities in the day involve alot of recreational activities and alot of interaction with farm basic farm activities and nature walks (It took them 2 hours to show us round) in a group of toddlers her own age. In a few years my elder children will need funding to attend university so any aid from the government (which already punishes me for wanting to earn more) to which I am entitled would be welcomed. Then again we could jack it all in and let welfare pay.
Old 23 January 2007, 07:14 AM
rabskyline
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sl1cksterjam
We have just bought a new house, did own one previously but sold it just at the wrong time, so have basically had to start again on the property ladder. It seems that alot of you do not know how hard that is now, everything that goes along with the mortgage is also inflated in costs due to higher borrowing. I am self employed so have to cover my payments in case of injury or loss of work, my payment protection and insurance payments are more than my previous mortgage total payments.I have 3 children from a previous relationship and 1 toddler with my current partner. we have to run 3 vehicles, 1 is hers,1 for business and 1 for 50/50 business/pleasure. She wishes to return to work to train in the probation service and currently does 2 1/2 days a week voluntary work with people with mental illnesses. our toddler is 2 in October and we have found a nursery for her to start at then that is situated on a farm, activities in the day involve alot of recreational activities and alot of interaction with farm basic farm activities and nature walks (It took them 2 hours to show us round) in a group of toddlers her own age. In a few years my elder children will need funding to attend university so any aid from the government (which already punishes me for wanting to earn more) to which I am entitled would be welcomed. Then again we could jack it all in and let welfare pay.
christ its a hard life on 55k isnt it ! i dont know if i could cope !!
Old 23 January 2007, 08:53 AM
D00
Scooby Regular

This is only his second post, nothing to do with cars whatsoever, is this guy for real!
Old 23 January 2007, 09:17 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Bit of green eyed monster here, there are people on this forum that earn a lot more than that.

FYI Childcare is expensive, can be as much as a second mortgage, however the reason for taking advantage of the governments offer is so that your child can integrate into a schoool type environment before having to go.

I don't believe both(or either) parents need to be working to claim it. Info here Free early years education and the Foundation Stage - ParentsCentre
Old 23 January 2007, 09:30 AM
jen98impreza
Scooby Regular

Ah my heart bleeds.....
Old 23 January 2007, 09:30 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Bit of green eyed monster here, there are people on this forum that earn a lot more than that
I have to agree!

Surely on a forum based around running an expensive car, I'd have imagine most users earn over 40k.

How the hell can you have a nice home, car and holidays on less?
Old 23 January 2007, 09:58 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I have to agree!

Surely on a forum based around running an expensive car, I'd have imagine most users earn over 40k.

How the hell can you have a nice home, car and holidays on less?
I doubt if its possible.

I dont see why so many negative posts surround an honest question.
Old 23 January 2007, 10:03 AM
jen98impreza
Scooby Regular

It can be done. Oh yes. It can be done (say in dramatic voice for full effect)
Old 23 January 2007, 10:07 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jen98impreza
Sorry,but is this actually a real thread or have you purposefully been up thinking of somethin to write just to rub our noses in it?!!(55k a year)!! Your not funny
I'm sorry, but 55k a year is hardly millionaires row.
Old 23 January 2007, 10:10 AM
jen98impreza
Scooby Regular

Tis to me....
Old 23 January 2007, 10:13 AM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Give this website a try - entitledto
Old 23 January 2007, 10:19 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs WRX
Give this website a try - entitledto
That's just means tested benefits, doesn't cover Early Education Funding although would show entitlement to Tax Credits if applicable. Not sure what the cut off is.
Old 23 January 2007, 10:56 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

No cut off for the final year before school . 5 sessions a week paid for ( session is morning OR afternoon ) by the govt.

regardless, childcare in this country is f*cking expensive, irrespective of your earnings. Full time in a nursery in the SE comes in somewhere around a grand a month... or the equivalent of another 200k mortgage.

Childcare voucher schemes ( using salary sacrifice ) can save 90-100 for each of you per month as they are deducted before the tax calculation. Well worth looking into.

Steve

Last edited by stevem2k; 23 January 2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 23 January 2007, 11:02 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

No here to argue about incomes, but we pay £52 per day for 3 days a week for our 2yr old son in a (good) nursery in Surrey.

Wish I was only paying £30 per day!!!
Old 23 January 2007, 11:08 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
No here to argue about incomes, but we pay £52 per day for 3 days a week for our 2yr old son in a (good) nursery in Surrey.

Wish I was only paying £30 per day!!!
Wow! We pay £33 per day 8:30 to 3:30 4 days a week, however we will be moving my daughter to a nursery nearer my eldest's school from September in prep for her to go half day to school the following September. logistically works out better. This nursery is a bit cheaper and also does term time contracts so should save a bundle.
Old 23 January 2007, 11:18 AM
Mrs WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
That's just means tested benefits, doesn't cover Early Education Funding although would show entitlement to Tax Credits if applicable. Not sure what the cut off is.
they would be able to check to see if they could claim WFTC for help with child care. As the toddler isnt even 2 yet they cant get the nursery vouchers.
Old 23 January 2007, 11:25 AM
mpr
Scooby Regular

55k is bordering on f-all to live a decent life in this country nowadays. Besides which, you earn your money, pay your tax (or maybe not if you're self employed) and are entitled to take out everything you can! Why should the dole dossers be the only people to benefit from taxpayers money - I pay in more than my fair share and I try to make sure I get out what I can.

To answer the question, I believe a previous poster was correct in talking about the half day sessions when a child reaches a certain age (think it's 3) - but we haven't quite got there yet.

The other thing I do is to take childcare vouchers from work where they get deducted from your gross pay and therefore save you tax (around a 1k+ a year if you're higher rate). An issue is that both your employer and the nursery have to be signed up to a recognised scheme, and if you're self employed....

You can also claim child tax credit - I think the limit has been raised > 60k nowadays - I don't bother myself (last year earned too much, and even if I didn't it's down to a pittance that's not worth the hassle), but you might want to look into it.

All the jealous types should STFU and try to earn more if they're that bothered.
Old 23 January 2007, 12:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it is a indication of what this country and attitudes have come to when people on such high salaries feel they have to see what they can screw back out of social services!

Les
Old 23 January 2007, 12:33 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think it is a indication of what this country and attitudes have come to when people on such high salaries feel they have to see what they can screw back out of social services!

Les
what? I think it's an indication of the this government's tax policy that they think that people on "such high salaries" (and quite why you think they're so high, I don't know) need to be on a means tested benefit (child tax credit).

I would much rather pay less tax for moaning dole-dosser scum, keep a fair share of my OWN money that I work for and then not have to think about trying to claim back bits here and there.

However New Labour seem to feel the need to make everyone a benefit claimant so that they can have more jobs for the boys and also to probably scare everyone into voting for them with the old "there wouldn't be these benefits if the tories were in....". Which would hopefully be true - because you wouldn't NEED them - you would get to keep more of your OWN money!

Quick Reply: child care