Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Diets

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2007, 12:46 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diets

I am sure this subject has been posted a few times.

I am 2 weeks into the Lighterlife diet and nearly 2 stone lighter
The downside is, my vision (focus) sometimes goes a bit funny, I have mood swings and I get very cold. Anyone else enjoying the road of dieting ?

Thanks
Old 22 January 2007, 12:52 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

I am 2 weeks into the Lighterlife diet and nearly 2 stone lighter

Seems a bit rapid.......what have you done, amputated an arm or something
Old 22 January 2007, 12:54 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bateman
my vision (focus) sometimes goes a bit funny, I have mood swings and I get very cold.
Anyone else enjoying the road of dieting ?
Old 22 January 2007, 12:59 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

If there’s not enough water in your circulation you might get dizzy when you stand up suddenly due to a fall in blood pressure, which occurs as a result of rapid weight loss.

Very low calorie diets (VLCDs) cause fat to be broken down rapidly, producing a by-product called ketones. These can result in tiredness, weakness, dizziness, insomnia and nausea. However, these effects should be short lived and there’s even some evidence that ketones help to suppress appetite and actually promote a feeling of wellbeing.

Meanwhile, constipation, diarrhoea, dry skin, hair loss, menstrual changes and intolerance to the cold can also occur.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:01 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie

Seems a bit rapid.......what have you done, amputated an arm or something
feels like it

I lost 1 stone in my first week, they say you can lose 3-4 in 8 weeks

drinking 4 - 6 litres of water a day and some 'food' packs. Total calorie intake of 500. Less than posh spice !

its like the cambridge diet. its hard work as you dont realise how many food adds are on TV and how you just want to taste something nice !
Old 22 January 2007, 01:05 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

You must be starving!

Surely only 500 calories a day is unhealthy?
Old 22 January 2007, 01:06 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Total calorie intake of 500. Less than posh spice !

No wonder you feel like **** mate .....!

Can't you just exercise more....?

I may be hugely naive on this whole dieting issue, but surely it boils down to the simple equation of 'burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight'??

Good luck anyway mate, at least you are putting the effort in and doing something about it
Old 22 January 2007, 01:06 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Dude stop that diet NOW before you do yourself some damage.
500 calories is no where near enough!
2 stone in 2 weeks is too much weight loss too quickly.

Go to a doctor & see what he/she says & be prapared for a telling off.

R.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:09 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You'll probably put this weight straight back on again. You should excercise more
Old 22 January 2007, 01:11 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
You must be starving!

Surely only 500 calories a day is unhealthy?
well, you dont, thats the funny bit. The first 3 days are the hardest then you lose the hunger element. You dont feel hungry, you just want to eat something as it looks good. My wife did it for 3 months, she made it look easy. SO I thought I would try it and I find it hard as I am a bit of a Bon Vivant at heart.

Thanks for the support chaps
Old 22 January 2007, 01:11 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie

No wonder you feel like **** mate .....!

Can't you just exercise more....?

I may be hugely naive on this whole dieting issue, but surely it boils down to the simple equation of 'burn more calories than you consume and you'll lose weight'??

Good luck anyway mate, at least you are putting the effort in and doing something about it
agree totally, people are just too lazy and not strong willed enough! you need food to live, your car wouldnt run without petrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

read up on calories and how to burn the right amount and get running, biking, swimming etc etc and get burning!
Old 22 January 2007, 01:16 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Actually exercise alone doesn't do much to weight and doesn't actually burn that many calories. Food plays a much more important part.

Although obviously you should do both.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:18 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B9GLY
agree totally, people are just too lazy and not strong willed enough! you need food to live, your car wouldnt run without petrol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

read up on calories and how to burn the right amount and get running, biking, swimming etc etc and get burning!

Originally Posted by TopBanana
You'll probably put this weight straight back on again. You should excercise more

I agree some sort of lifestyle change is in order, eating healthy and some exercize. Not so sure on the lazy and strong willed comment to be honest. What do you class as lazy ? I wouldnt consider myself that and not strong willed, maybe you should try this diet. It tests your character....
Old 22 January 2007, 01:23 PM
B9GLY
Scooby Regular

I agree some sort of lifestyle change is in order, eating healthy and some exercize. Not so sure on the lazy and strong willed comment to be honest. What do you class as lazy ? I wouldnt consider myself that and not strong willed, maybe you should try this diet. It tests your character....
i dont need to try it mate, it would make me ill!!!!!!!!!!!! I prob consume 4000+ calories a day, but i do a very manual job, do weights and play football and golf so im quite fit and happy with my body!

wasnt getting at you directly, was just making the point that i think all these diets are a waste of time imo and as long as you burn more than you consume you will loose weight, much healthier method imo.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:23 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Who's still doing the Atkins Diet?
Old 22 January 2007, 01:24 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Lardy
Old 22 January 2007, 01:26 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Lard's not allowed on the Atkins Diet

I think
Old 22 January 2007, 01:28 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Lard's not allowed on the Atkins Diet

I think
It is, my ex was on it. And the Atkins
Old 22 January 2007, 01:30 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Who's still doing the Atkins Diet?
I have never tried it, I was told it makes your breath smell like dog poo
Old 22 January 2007, 01:35 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Bateman - good luck. If I'm right in thinking Lighterlife is medically controlled and you are under supervision? My ex-boss has been on LL for about 6 months - he was given 10 years to live (he is 32) because of his weight and he went onto LL - after a medical consultation. He has lost 11 stone and is quite literally half the man he used to be. The 500 calories a day is possible (that is what my boss was doing). He has suffered some of the symptons you described as well.

It's a very extreme diet - that's for sure. Exercise wise, my boss has been using a cross trainer-type machine and is now gradually introducing a real diet - again under medical supervision. He is also drinking lots of water (the main reason being that it improves the skins elasticity and will help it return to a normal shape, when the weight is lost (although in my bosses case, he may still need some surgery).

The downside? As far as I can make out, the rapid change can have psychological effects - the body can go from one extreme to the other (ie. from obesity to aneroxia) - which is why they keep quite a close eye on you. There was a case in the States where a 25 year old woman died after doing LL - the fat loss happens all over the body - including all the major organs. She apparently had a heart attack, which was directly attributed to excessive fat loss around the heart (some is healthy) - so be careful and listen to what the doctors tell you!

Last edited by Chris L; 22 January 2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:37 PM
Miss Pitstop
Scooby Regular

The first week in any diet is hard but if I ever got a result like that in the 1st week I'd stick to it.

I would just have a sticker attached to my forehead saying "Dieting causes big moods - be warned"

Although 500 caleries doesn't seem that much for a man - I would of put myself to you are what you eat programme. At least you get a make over at the end of it.
Old 22 January 2007, 01:42 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Miss Pitstop
I would just have a sticker attached to my forehead saying "Dieting causes big moods - be warned"
*Ahem*

A sticker saying 'Female' would say the same thing and it wouldn't require as much ink
Old 22 January 2007, 01:51 PM
Bateman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
Bateman - good luck. If I'm right in thinking Lighterlife is medically controlled and you are under supervision? My ex-boss has been on LL for about 6 months - he was given 10 years to live (he is 32) because of his weight and he went onto LL - after a medical consultation. He has lost 11 stone and is quite literally half the man he used to be. The 500 calories a day is possible (that is what my boss was doing). He has suffered some of the symptons you described as well.

It's a very extreme diet - that's for sure. Exercise wise, my boss has been using a cross trainer-type machine and is now gradually introducing a real diet - again under medical supervision. He is also drinking lots of water (the main reason being that it improves the skins elasticity and will help it return to a normal shape, when the weight is lost (although in my bosses case, he may still need some surgery).

The downside? As far as I can make out, the rapid change can have psychological effects - the body can go from one extreme to the other (ie. from obesity to aneroxia) - which is why they keep quite a close eye on you. There was a case in the States where a 25 year old woman died after doing LL - the fat loss happens all over the body - including all the major organs. She apparently had a heart attack, which was directly attributed to excessive fat loss around the heart (some is healthy) - so be careful and listen to what the doctors tell you!

Thats it, bang on chris. yep 4 - 6 litres of water a day and I get to hang out with other fat people for 2 hours everyweek and chat fat stuff.,and as you know there is a management thing after to progress you back onto food.

I did see my doctor before I went on it who signed the paperwork and ok's it.

its worth a shot, and once you get into it you see results fast.
Old 22 January 2007, 02:02 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Everybody wants FAST results

Read my lips. Long term weight loss doesn't come from fad diets that you will NOT be doing in two years' time, eg the Atkins devotees.

It takes a fundamental change of lifestyle.

Less food, less booze, more exercise. 1 to 2 lbs per week until you near your target weight.

It's not difficult IF you need to do it enough, rather than relying on "miracles".
Old 22 January 2007, 02:04 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

how many calories a day does the body need to keep alive? Im taking in about 90% protein now along with weightlifting at the gym 3 times a week.
each day i take in about 1300 calories. is this any good for a bit of fat loss and muscle gain?
Old 22 January 2007, 02:05 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Sorry but 500 calories a day aint healthy for a fully grown male, whatever the medical control there is to the diet.

Thw WHO states that the guidline amount for a man is around 2500 calories per day to maintain.

The water intake is just fooling the body into thinking its full, when it isn't, and therefore repressing hunger pangs, repressing something that is the body's way of saying "I am hungry, I need food/nutrition etc" which water wont give.

R.
Old 22 January 2007, 02:09 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Lifestyle change is the way to go.

3 years ago I lost 8 stone (over 15 months) - down from 21.5st to 13.5st (I'm 6'4"). Did it through eating less, cutting out the booze and caffine, lots of veg and salad and swimming for an hour most days. Ever since I lost the weight I've only fluctuated up and down by a couple lbs at most. I had, and still do have, treats every now and again. Moderation is the key.

Drank a LOT of water as well - which means, along with the slower weight loss, I've NO loose skin or rolls of excess skin. Everything just shrunk back.

Crash diets rarely work long term.

Richard.

Last edited by Scotsman; 22 January 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 22 January 2007, 02:30 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

An adult male needs about 2500 cals a day.

Up the protein if bulking up and try and stick to less than 10% fat for the day.

Some of these diets sound crazy
Old 22 January 2007, 02:32 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I think the thing to remember here is that this is an extreme diet for an extreme situation. They only consider you if you have more than 3 stone to lose - which is technically obese. The whole reason that LL is a mentored programme with clearance from a doctor is that it is about a lifestyle change - that's what my boss has been taught and in fairness, he has embraced it whole heartedly. Just doing the diet and then going back to eating junk isn't going to work.
Old 22 January 2007, 02:36 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Let me get this right - a qualified doctor will sanction a grown man limiting his daily intake to 500 calories, have i got that correct?

Quick Reply: Diets