Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Motorway debris collision - what now?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2001, 02:48 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Tell me about it........the day i picked up my immaculate e30 m3.........i was going down the motorway and something came flying across from the OTHER side and bounced off my bonnet..........i now have 2 dents in my bonnet.......the previous owner had the car for years and not a mark on it........i have the car for 15 mins and get a dented bonnet........was i happy........but what can you do about it????.......

[Edited by Shaolin - 12/3/2001 2:49:26 PM]
Old 03 December 2001, 02:17 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

I hit half a lorry tyre on M4 on Friday night (dont ask!) and now have 5 or 6 nice gouge marks in my front grill / bumper - do I?

1. Stump up and shut up...

2. Get on the dog and bone, and try and sort something out....

any tips - ideas welcome...
Old 03 December 2001, 02:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Did you get the lorries reg or company name?
any witnesses?
can you prove which vehicle it came off of?

if not claim on your own ins.

This really is not fair!

Suppose this is why we have insurance.
Old 03 December 2001, 02:39 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

nah, the lorry in front went over the tyre, and the draught made it stand up vertically, enough to slam into my front grill, god knows what lorry it came off - time for a trip to cheam I think, insurance excess is not worth the bother.....cheers for the thoughts though
Old 03 December 2001, 03:52 PM
Crispin
Scooby Regular

Damn right - nothing - you can't exactly stamp on in the middle of the motorway and pick up the offending item can you?? (much as I wish you could!)

The best you could do would be to stop at the next junction, phone the police, and get them to retrieve the item for you, but I bet they wouldn't!!! (not an emergency)

Then what do you do about insurance, I bet yours is going to cost just enough over your excess to justify not claiming, mine too.....

Seems like every time you take your pride and joy out you may as well write a cheque for what.....lets be generous and say five hundred quid to cover motorway hazards and supermarket doordents, stone chips and other "presents"!

GRRR! - you have my sympathies.
Old 03 December 2001, 04:14 PM
mikefyfe
Scooby Regular

I think the only thing you can do is claim on your own insurance. In order to claim on someone else's insurance you would need to prove negligence on their part i.e. they deliberately did or didn't do something to cause the tyre to come off. If it was purely an accident on their part they are not liable for the damage.

Just my opinion, could easily be wrong!

Mike
Old 03 December 2001, 06:28 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

A few years ago i had a similar experience, just claim from your insurance.

The incident i had involved a LARGE piece of lorry tyre and it completely took out my front bumper and grill... its when you reflect later, 2 inches higher and a 20lb lump of rubber coming through the screen

IMO lorry tyres should be replaced when worn NOT re-groved i think this practice leads to the eventual failure of the tyre. (flame suit on)
Old 03 December 2001, 10:48 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Steve, your're probably thinking of remoulding, yeah I agree that's a pants idea Have you seen a hand cut slick being...erm, hand cut? cos that's all they do to wagon tyre, nuffink at all dangerous about it. not a flame btw

Bummer bout the damage chaps, went over part of a wooden box just now, oh and a grouse yesterday

Bob
Old 04 December 2001, 10:36 AM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bob, Steves right some big tyres are re-grooved, when you spend some time on the old british motorway system parked up next to a lorry, read the writing on the tyres, some really are "re-groovable" !!!

As for hitting debris, one foggy night on the A3 I once hit what looked like a baby in a shawl and then just swerved past a baby seat/pushchair, this scared the crap out of me. As I pulled over it looked like a plane had crashed and there was debris all over the road. Had some scratched/dents on the underside of the car but I wasnt going back to find a body so I called the police from the yellow emergency phone and they werent really bothered. My other half was scared sh1tless too but she thought it was just a doll wrapped up, anyway the police said "dont worry just go home and we might send someone down to have a look". Trawled the TV reports / papers for the next few days and nothing.....must have been a roof-rack or trailer spilling its load everywhere. Brought back a few sad memories from finding wreckage from Lockerbie & a military jet crash a few years ago.
scary
Dan