Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Am I getting old listening to Radio 2?

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2007, 12:15 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Am I getting old listening to Radio 2?

I've found myself listening more and more to Radio 2 of late. The local station is OK but its still local station with crappy adverts and perpetual 80s music.

Although I like the banter on Radio 1 I just can't listen to the music. It all seems to be R&B and rap which I can't stand at any price. I'll listen to most music but anything like I can't cope with.

So Radio 2 is the station of choice for me. I even find myself having an opinion on thier phone in topics! I actually like Chris Evans on the drive home.

I listen to Foo Fighters, Chillis that sort of thing and no R2 doesn't have this but they do have old Oasis stuff and Radiohead and other songs of the 90s that I liked.

My daughter (5) and I spent some of Sunday singing along to songs taken from old musicals (She knows most of Sound of Music, Oliver etc) How sad is that!

I sometimes think I must be in the only Impreza locally that has Radio 2 whilst hairing round the Welsh hill roads.

Am I getting old? - or getting old too early! 29
Old 19 January 2007, 12:20 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont worry i'm always listening to Kajagoogoo and a flock of seagulls whilst hairing about in my Impreza.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:20 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Edd,

Yep you're getting old!

I listen to R2 as I cannot stand R1, on R2 yes the DJs babble on abit but on R1 all the DJs talk about are themselves which is irritating *and* boring!

And yes the music (once you get over 30!) is more appealing on R2

Gary
Old 19 January 2007, 12:21 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

MP3 player
Old 19 January 2007, 12:21 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't worry too much about the trendiness, or otherwise, of listening to Radio 2 although its supposedly the 'in thing' to do. I did try listening to it but it didn't float my boat and given that I can't stand Radio 1 and you can't get Capital that far out of London I was looking for an alternative
Old 19 January 2007, 12:23 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

R2 / R4 for me. Certain shows on R1 are good - the Blue Room etc.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:25 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup Radio2 convert here (unless I stick a CD on).

Used to listen to Radio1 until I realised I didn't actually like anyone on it, and the 'urban' music made me want to crash into a tree and die.

Chris Evans show is good for the drive home, and Terry in the morning playing the dreary folk music is a perfect way to arrive at work.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:32 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same position, sometimes radio One is ok, Chris Moyles usually keeps it interesting but aq lot of the time it degenerates into being so urban/street it makes me puke, its like the BBC are trying so hard to be hip and cool but it just doesnt work, its like your gran getting a tracksuit and gold chains and saying 'Word' when doing those rap hand gesture, they do play too much rap and R and B, every record seems to start 'Yo Yo Yo, Mutherf*cker'

I does really make me wonder about the BBC, the most politically correct organisation in the country that allows Rap records with some horrendous lyrics to be played, sexist, misogynistic, promoting gun crime and crime in general just so it can pander to that audience who in actual fact don't probably bother with R1 and listen to grass roots local or pirate stations anyway.

I switch between the two in the morning, when BBC2 goes all twee, Sarah Kennedy wibbling on about cats or Terry Wogan reading some ****e poem about the travel woman it makes me feel queasy (Oh Franny Franny, show us your crusty...), generally at the weekends its good, Johnathan Ross, Mark Radcliffe etc etc, Steve Wright in the afternoon grates and Chris Evans is a pale shadow of his past Radio One breakfast persona. The music can be ok on Radio 2 unless its showtunes or **** like that.

I have taken to listening to Radio 4, it always just used to be a noise to me, two posh people waffling but give it a listen, you may actually learn something whilst driving, as opposed to Scott Mills go on about embarrissing moments and stains all the time, it does teach you something though listening to Scoot Mills, not to listen to Scott Mills.

And there are always cd's or if you have the presence of forethought, download a load of podcasts onto your MP3 player and listen to that.
Old 19 January 2007, 12:44 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

to answer your question, you are probably becoming more mature rather than old.

I listen to R1 and am 33. Tend to just listen to it in the morning C Moyles and then listen to some tunes on the way home.

I used to drive about 50k a year so grew to love shows like Mark & Lard, how I miss that show...

I find it hard to drive like a **** and concentrate on something else as the same time so it's usually just on in the background.
Old 19 January 2007, 03:30 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

STOP!
Old 19 January 2007, 03:34 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

R2 doesnt play Rap, thats a good enough reason to listen to it, old or young
Old 19 January 2007, 03:38 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

CARRY ON!
Old 19 January 2007, 03:41 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

Steve Wright - best DJ inthe whole wide world...probably

2pm weekdays
Old 19 January 2007, 03:43 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobian
Steve Wright - best DJ inthe whole wide world...probably
The guy's an idiot. Terry Wogan is the daddy!
Old 19 January 2007, 03:46 PM
scoobian
Scooby Regular

EEEEEEKK!!!!!

heracy!
Old 19 January 2007, 03:50 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Uh-oh, I'll have his 'posse' at the door this evening
Old 19 January 2007, 03:50 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I listen to Jonathan Ross on a Saturday on Raddio 2, and sometimes Chris Evans although he is a bit too mellow for me. I actually don't like the music on Radio 2 though.

I really like 'Geoff' on Virgin Radio and much prefer the music but apart from him the DJ's are not very good. I detest the morning DJ, Christian someone.

Steve
Old 19 January 2007, 03:52 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Terry (honest I don't wear a rug) Wogan
Old 19 January 2007, 04:13 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Varboy
to answer your question, you are probably becoming more mature rather than old.
Your probably right.

Think it also reflects in my car too. I've taken the atmos DV off. I've taken the borehole exhaust off and if no one buys it I'm going to take the big wing off the boot too.

So yes, probably growing up at last!

Originally Posted by TopBanana
STOP!

Originally Posted by TopBanana
CARRY ON!

ROFLOL

Those were the days!

I used to repair pressure washers and R1 was all we listened to late 90s.

"Fancy a brew?"
Old 19 January 2007, 04:16 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

No......old is when you stop listening to radio altogether because you realise that you havent got long left and listening to "banter and talking" is just a waste of precious time.
Old 19 January 2007, 04:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

My Dad was moaning a while back about how Radio 2 had gone downhill. I had to inform him that R2 was his station when he was 30-60, now, at 37, it's mine. R1 is pure drivel the majority of the time.
Old 19 January 2007, 04:25 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

All radio imo is too much about the presenter,and not enough about the music.
Old 19 January 2007, 04:29 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Radio 2 rocks
Old 19 January 2007, 04:30 PM
terzo282
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

used to listen to radio1 at work then relalised it play the same 10 or so songs about 8 times a day

we used to have a vote on wot we listened to but always ended with r1 as there was only me and 1 other over 30 and the rest mid 20's
Old 19 January 2007, 04:58 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Radio 2 for me, as long as it's after 9.30am.
Old 19 January 2007, 05:06 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terzo282
used to listen to radio1 at work then relalised it play the same 10 or so songs about 8 times a day

we used to have a vote on wot we listened to but always ended with r1 as there was only me and 1 other over 30 and the rest mid 20's
At work we're currently listening to 5fm out of South Africa
Old 19 January 2007, 05:10 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
"Fancy a brew?"
No neeeeed!
Old 19 January 2007, 05:43 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Radio 2 far outshines R 1. Those blabby female presenters *** and Wiley do my head in.
Steve Wright is rude to his quiz contestants and very often doesn't even do his basic job , which is, to tell us which record he's just played and by whom. That really grates.

Yve
Old 19 January 2007, 05:44 PM
auto scooby
Scooby Regular

Radio 5 Live.

BBC Radio 7 for comedy in the evenings
Old 19 January 2007, 05:45 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I am in the same position, sometimes radio One is ok, Chris Moyles usually keeps it interesting but aq lot of the time it degenerates into being so urban/street it makes me puke, its like the BBC are trying so hard to be hip and cool but it just doesnt work, its like your gran getting a tracksuit and gold chains and saying 'Word' when doing those rap hand gesture, they do play too much rap and R and B, every record seems to start 'Yo Yo Yo, Mutherf*cker'

I does really make me wonder about the BBC, the most politically correct organisation in the country that allows Rap records with some horrendous lyrics to be played, sexist, misogynistic, promoting gun crime and crime in general just so it can pander to that audience who in actual fact don't probably bother with R1 and listen to grass roots local or pirate stations anyway.

I switch between the two in the morning, when BBC2 goes all twee, Sarah Kennedy wibbling on about cats or Terry Wogan reading some ****e poem about the travel woman it makes me feel queasy (Oh Franny Franny, show us your crusty...), generally at the weekends its good, Johnathan Ross, Mark Radcliffe etc etc, Steve Wright in the afternoon grates and Chris Evans is a pale shadow of his past Radio One breakfast persona. The music can be ok on Radio 2 unless its showtunes or **** like that.

I have taken to listening to Radio 4, it always just used to be a noise to me, two posh people waffling but give it a listen, you may actually learn something whilst driving, as opposed to Scott Mills go on about embarrissing moments and stains all the time, it does teach you something though listening to Scoot Mills, not to listen to Scott Mills.

And there are always cd's or if you have the presence of forethought, download a load of podcasts onto your MP3 player and listen to that.

I think Moyles has gone off the boil of late. I have to turn it off at 7am when that new stomach churning theme tune to his show comes on, its like a bad coca-cola advert

And now it seems, moyles has taken to spending the first 30 mins of his show talking utter ****e, just waffling on about **** all.

I still won't listen to that prize **** wogan though. What a boring waffling ****** he is

Quick Reply: Am I getting old listening to Radio 2?