Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

anyone keep tropical fish ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2007, 02:11 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone keep tropical fish ?

I have a 3ft tank, with a variety of fish that are easy to care for, as I have only had the setup a few months, and have never kept fish before..

it mostly comprises of a mix of tetras, barbs, gouramis, half beak, panchax, catfish, lobster and leopard plec

all is good, apart from the lobster eats all my plants (no longer a problem as I have found a cheap site for plants) and the plec has started ****ting turds similar in size to what my german pointer deposits in the garden..

this leaves me having to clean the tank a bit more often than I would like (every couple of weeks) as he seems to be constantly pumping turd..

think he is nicking the lobsters food, but they are not over fed..

any way to reduce the turd by adding something to the water to help it breakdown, or is it just a case of more cleaning and water changes ?

advice welcome..
Old 17 January 2007, 02:13 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Imodium Plus ?
Old 17 January 2007, 02:33 PM
Optical Race
Scooby Regular

We used to use something called safe water or water safe, something along those lines mate.
Old 17 January 2007, 02:40 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

There are products you can get which are essentially co-agulents which help "stick" particles together keeping the water clearer. However, be aware Plecs will grow large and will defaecate accordingly. Lobsters can get a taste for fish - we had one that took out a puffer and a couple of Parrot chichlids
Old 17 January 2007, 02:43 PM
speedymonkey
Scooby Regular

Location: On the PC, sipping a beer and listing to old skool choons :)

Turd monitoring, sounds like fun

That post made me laugh no end

Ive kept tropical fish and marine, and i would of thought that its just a case of more water changes TBH.
Maybe if you are going through a high number of plants, this is causeing more slimy deposits/crap to be present, and the plec is just gobbling much more than usual
Old 17 January 2007, 02:45 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000 sport
this leaves me having to clean the tank a bit more often than I would like (every couple of weeks)
You should be doing 10% changes at least every 2 weeks anyway, if not make sure you monitor you nitrates etc otherwise you could have an algae fest on your hands
Old 17 January 2007, 02:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I hope you have one of those gravel cleaner syphon type things?

My poor little Zebra plec stayed the same size for all his 4 year life!! Sucked on logs and ate cucumber, pretty exciting life
Old 17 January 2007, 02:50 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Long long time since i kept tropical fish but i ended up giving the plecostimous (sp?) its' own food which came in the form of green tablets.
Reason for that was because all the other fish ate their own food quickly and left little for the plec except the remnants missed.
Giving the plec its own meant it could swim about with this tablet stuck to its' gub. If the plec let go of the tablet all the other fish couldn't eat it cause it kept on bouncing off their coupons.
The plec then regulated itself cause it knew it was getting its' own tablet of food every day.

Last edited by AlanG; 17 January 2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 17 January 2007, 03:04 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

What kind of filtration do you have on your tank?

We use a gravel hoover that attatches to the pump

Watch the catfish with your other fish - they *might* eat them
Old 17 January 2007, 03:38 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

the catfish is the most timid fish in the tank, not bothered about the other fish at all.. in fact I have only seen him eat a couple of times..

the lobster used to chase the fish around but doesn't bother anymore.. (he's only fast in reverse)

the plec will only grow to 6", already checked that one, as I know most plecs grow into monsters..

I use a gravel cleaner / hoover and change about 30% water ever 2 weeks maximum, but it's starting to get more like every week..

I have a tetra filter, apparently very good.. seems to work very well.. I also have another filter which I drop in after a water change to help clear it up, aswell as the gravel filter (which personally I think is ****e, but was told when I set it up was very good)

(think that answered most questions)

thanks for your advice, will have a look for some water safe...
Old 17 January 2007, 03:44 PM
Lionel Hutz
Scooby Regular

i bought a goldfish before christmas, the guy in the shop said " do you want an aquarium? " i said " i dont care what star sign it is! "
Old 17 January 2007, 04:45 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Can anyone help with dying fish? I had 3 Guppies and 1 Clown Loach. One of the guppies started acting funny before Christmas by lying on the bottom of the tank and not being able to swim much. It died just after Christmas after going downhill increadibly rapidly.

One of the other guppies is displaying similar characteristics, but has not yet died. It is still eating and can swim to the top of the tank. I have done water changes and added Water Safe twice since the death.

Any ideas? I've had a look on a number of sites, but nothing seems to be specific enough.
Old 17 January 2007, 04:50 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

have you got a water testing kit ?

they test for pH, Ammonia, Nitrates & Nitrites.. found it useful when I started with mine to monitor the condition of the water..
Old 17 January 2007, 04:52 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I might have to get one, but haven't at the moment. I might have a chat with the guy at the local fish shop - not the chip serving variety either
Old 17 January 2007, 05:08 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

This is a great forum for all things fishkeeping related Tropical Fish Centre - powered by vBulletin
Old 17 January 2007, 05:18 PM
dazzer98
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz
i bought a goldfish before christmas, the guy in the shop said " do you want an aquarium? " i said " i dont care what star sign it is! "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

thats is funny

LMAO

Old 17 January 2007, 05:23 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only way around this is a reverse flow gravel filter and a good size external filter.
Old 17 January 2007, 05:52 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Really need a water testing kit and keep testing for a bit until you water stabilises.

Possibly overfeeding them causing too much waste in the water, so poisoning it? We only have one clown loach now too, did have three, they're great together

*to the original poster*

perhaps try running two filters in there at all times, I do because it's better for the fish. You also need to check the amount of water to the amount of fish, an overstocked tank will get crappy more

Change water regularly too, only a third of it though, should help clear it up a bit.

Catfish will eat smaller fish, plec's don't usually bother but catfish will and do, I have two suncatfish and between them they had a ghost knife fish, three clown loaches, two platies and two plecs Better off in a tank of their own and they do grow

Or is it a synodontis you have? As they don't seem to bother any other fish
Old 17 January 2007, 06:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **************
Do you know they are a fish that needs/likes to be kept in a group of its own kind? .
Whoa, racist fish !
Old 17 January 2007, 06:33 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

PMSL Racist fish

Not like that at all LOL, they play together and are really amusing to watch but they don't act that way when alone, we only have one because two died
Old 17 January 2007, 06:51 PM
C_B_B
Scooby Regular

Overkill works for me when it comes to filters.

My first tank holds 80 litres and originally had a filter that could handle a 90 litre tank. The filter needed to be cleaned out weekly. I kept it for a few months before going out and getting an external filter which could handle a tank up to 240 litres. This keeps the water crystal clear and if you really can't find time to clean it out regulally it will run for a couple of months with no drop off in water quality.

My second tank holds 450 litres and has a filter that can handle a 500 litre tank. By way of comparison to my other tank the filter needs cleaning every weeks.

The quality of the food you use will help, i've found most cheap flakes such as Aquarian leaves the water cloudy whereas the Tetramin Pro crisps keep the water cleaner. Mind you they need to at £6.50 for a 48g tub!
Old 17 January 2007, 06:55 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

We were told guppies were easy to keep and an ideal beginners fish! The clown loach was bought because we had a snail problem and they were recommended. Within a few days, the snails had disappeared!

Could the later introduction of the clown loach caused the guppies to be unwell? The loach is really shy and stays in the same place, right at the back of the tank all the time.

The tank I have is a bio orb BTW, so it's quite small.
Old 17 January 2007, 07:01 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Clown loaches are VERY susceptible (sp) to white spot and ideally quarantined before introducing them to a tank, they can also grow up to 12 inches Also, they are fish that need to be kept in groups to get the quality of them, so they come out rather than hide

Guppies are cheap and easy and are good for starting the bio organisms (or whatever they are )off The right amount of bacteria in the tank for the filters etc to work properly in other words.

From past experience, smaller tanks tend to have the most probs with PH levels etc than larger tanks

Last edited by D.K.1; 17 January 2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 17 January 2007, 07:35 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Hope the Clown Loach is OK because they are so funny. We have a pair and come down of a morning and they will both be lying on the bottom of the tank, upside down playing dead or asleep in a vertical position next to a log.

We've lost a few Guppys for no obvious reason and don't keep them now.
Old 17 January 2007, 08:24 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

OK, plan of action for the weekend is:

Get the water checked out to make sure it's not something to do with that.
Tell the fish shop man what's happening and see if he has any ideas.
Get another Clown Loach? <--- Or is that going to cause more and not less problems?

I don't want to make them suffer!

Also, there is a light on the orb, should I turn it off at night? Sometimes I do, sometimes not.

Am I going to be reported to the RSPCA for fish cruelty?
Old 17 January 2007, 08:33 PM
C_B_B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
OK, plan of action for the weekend is:

Get the water checked out to make sure it's not something to do with that.
Tell the fish shop man what's happening and see if he has any ideas.
Get another Clown Loach? <--- Or is that going to cause more and not less problems?

I don't want to make them suffer!

Also, there is a light on the orb, should I turn it off at night? Sometimes I do, sometimes not.

Am I going to be reported to the RSPCA for fish cruelty?
The nights on my tanks are set on timers and are on for around 8 hours a day.

Is the Bio Orb the large goldfish bowl often seen in offices? If so members of a fish keepers forum will probably treat you in the same way Lewis would if you said you've just put gold wheels onto your Scooby. If it is a small round bowl i wouldn't personally add any more loaches to it. I'm sure they're only meant for a couple of goldfish.

Quick Reply: anyone keep tropical fish ?