Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How likely am I to get Chicken Pox...

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2007, 07:02 PM
R4CH4EL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How likely am I to get Chicken Pox...

A women in my office went home ill today, then later rang in to say she had Chicken Pox.

I've never had it before. I did'nt realy come into much contact with her, but am worried that I may be at greater risk as I 've not had it yet...
Old 16 January 2007, 07:19 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Well, you`ll know in about 14 days.....chicken pox is infectious for 14-21 days before any symptoms....
If you have had chicken pox then you can get shingles.....you can also get chicken pox twice if the first time wasn`t very bad...I know that because my son has had it twice.....

Good luck....too late to worry about it now though....just one of those things I`m afraid.....
Old 16 January 2007, 07:23 PM
m2rs2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JoanUK300
Well, you`ll know in about 14 days.....chicken pox is infectious for 14-21 days before any symptoms....
If you have had chicken pox then you can get shingles.....you can also get chicken pox twice if the first time wasn`t very bad...I know that because my son has had it twice.....

Good luck....too late to worry about it now though....just one of those things I`m afraid.....
i agree...

unfortunately if your anitbodies has not been exposed to the antigens of the virus then there is high risk you will get this...

there isnt a lot you can do at the moment it is probablybest to look treatments to get ready IF you do get it.
Old 16 January 2007, 08:32 PM
R4CH4EL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise guys!! Hopefully I will be ok!!
Old 16 January 2007, 08:39 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

How old are you? Chicken Pox has different implications when contracted in adulthood than in childhood......
Old 16 January 2007, 11:10 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fyou have it in the family i.e one kid brings it home, the others normally get it.
My son bought it home and gave it to our other son who was about 6 months old at the time, so a bit scary.
Old 16 January 2007, 11:51 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

You are far better off having it when younger, so whilst 6 month old with it might be scary for the parents its a lot better for the child. Our two year old has it at present!

Depending on the age of the original poster she may appreciate getting it now. It can create complications in pregnancy so if planning on getting pregnant in future you ideally want it now!

Our next door neighbour is also recovering from Chicken Pox (her daughter brought it home, gave it to her mother and 9 month old brother who in turn passed it on to our daughter). She is mid to late 30's and has had it really bad, spots everywhere, and apparently that means everywhere, including internally. In fact she was so bad she was taken by ambulance to A & E and kept in all day when it first afflicted her.

So if you plan to have kids you will almost certainly get it in due course (from them) so might as well hope you get it now!
Old 17 January 2007, 10:13 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

If you do get it, go to the doctors immediately and they can give you tablets to reduce the effects of it. I got it this year from my son and it wasn't pleasant!
Old 17 January 2007, 10:17 AM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul3446
If you do get it, go to the doctors immediately and they can give you tablets to reduce the effects of it. I got it this year from my son and it wasn't pleasant!
I agree, it's awful, I got it when my son was 6 weeks old, I was 21 and it was horrible, really itchy and covered from hed to toe in the bleddy things felt rotten with it too, like fluey

Hope you don't catch it Rachel
Old 17 January 2007, 10:53 AM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

There are steps you can take to reduce the itching. Treating the spots with Calomime (sp?) lotion, you can take Piriton syrup, and put a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda in your bath. All over the counter remedies.

Definitely a lot worse to have as an adult so if you have young children try and ensure they catch it!
Old 17 January 2007, 10:57 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by R4CH4EL
A women in my office went home ill today, then later rang in to say she had Chicken Pox.

I've never had it before. I did'nt realy come into much contact with her, but am worried that I may be at greater risk as I 've not had it yet...
you'd better not get it girl !!
Old 17 January 2007, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You will know soon enough if you have contracted it. Not very pleasant but it will eventually get better. At least if you do get it, you should be pretty immune against Shingles which is really nasty.

Les
Old 17 January 2007, 11:18 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You will know soon enough if you have contracted it. Not very pleasant but it will eventually get better. At least if you do get it, you should be pretty immune against Shingles which is really nasty.

Les

Really really nasty. I had 4th & 5th cranial nerve shingles. One of the most painful things I have ever experienced. So Painful they put you on anti -depressants because traditional painkillers don't do anything as it attacks nerve endings.
Old 17 January 2007, 11:25 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I was 14 when I got it. From nowhere I went from fit and well to bedridden for 48 hours (I lost over a stone in less than 2 days)... Then I felt fine again and came out in spots
They were itchy
2 weeks off school feeling ok but itchy and that was that...
Had I got them 10 years later, they could have killed me, or even worse, made me impotent
Old 17 January 2007, 11:42 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

Quote:
"You will know soon enough if you have contracted it. Not very pleasant but it will eventually get better. At least if you do get it, you should be pretty immune against Shingles which is really nasty."

Unfortunately this statement is completely inaccurate! You can only get Shingles if you have had Chicken-pox. Once you have the virus, it lies dormant, but if you are severely run down for any reason it can manifest itself as Shingles. If you have never had Chicken-pox, you cannot get Shingles from someone with Chicken-pox.
Old 17 January 2007, 12:10 PM
Norman D. Landing
Scooby Regular

You'll know about it when the first big spot arrives and you look in the mirror with the "What the ****?" face on.

My first spot came up 2 days before my wedding. Doctor said "You've got shingles", I said "But I've never head Chicken pox", Doc revised quickly and said "OH, you've got Chicken Pox!"

Needless to say my wedding pics aren't great. Full on spotfest at the altar (Well, they were lumps more than spots, they turned into spots 2 days after or so).

I am however the ideal man in my wifes friends eyes as I still went through with it feeling like death and loking like deaths illegitimate spotty teenager !

Honeymoon cancelled, not allowed to fly. Still, got all my hols back from work as it was converted to sick time, result !

You WILL be very ill if you're above 25 and get it. I was 31 and I've never before or after felt so much like boiled ****e, sweated by the pint and felt so miserable.

Makes me shiver remembering it, so, have fun