Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ballpark figure for getting a shower room made...

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2007, 09:51 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ballpark figure for getting a shower room made...

I appreciate this a bit of a vague Q, but here goes:

I am looking to get a shower room made in the box room of my house. It has 2 external walls, so the waste shouldnt be too much of a problem. As things stand there is no pipework to this particular room.

What would be a reasonable labour charge for fitting a shower/cubicle/basin/toilet? The room is q small, but not too tight!

I can get tiling/ceiling /floor done myself....
Old 14 January 2007, 11:08 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

I had an en suite made by cutting off a section of the next door bedroom. Again no pipework and its on the opposite side of the house to where the soil stack is. To create the room and fully tile it and install the shower/wc/sink etc cost me circa £4k in labour.
Old 14 January 2007, 11:29 AM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

GULP!! £4k just in labour??.....that sounds steep, how long did the job take to justify that kind of labour cost?
Old 14 January 2007, 11:59 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turboman786
GULP!! £4k just in labour??.....that sounds steep, how long did the job take to justify that kind of labour cost?
It was done by an expert plumber /builder, I'm a very fussy customer and wanted everything to a very high standard. It required moving a door aswell and the timber work, plastering etc. The showeroom is also tiled floor to ceiling. The price did include materials like timber, grout(sp?), pipework etc.
The soil had to run the entire width of the house to reach the soil stack, and the shower room also has been properly ventilated with the steam going into the loft and then out of the side of the house. The room also had the wiring and lights fitted for that price.

In London for a proper job, with expert tiling thats a fair price. I'm sure someone would attempt to do it for cheaper, but then you get for you pay for and the chap came recommended.
Old 14 January 2007, 12:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, and plumbers take the ****, like all trades, hopefully with the interest rate rises they might feel the pinch and get more competitive and attentive, i.e. ring you back, turn up when they say they will !
Old 14 January 2007, 02:47 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
It was done by an expert plumber /builder, I'm a very fussy customer and wanted everything to a very high standard. It required moving a door aswell and the timber work, plastering etc. The showeroom is also tiled floor to ceiling. The price did include materials like timber, grout(sp?), pipework etc.
The soil had to run the entire width of the house to reach the soil stack, and the shower room also has been properly ventilated with the steam going into the loft and then out of the side of the house. The room also had the wiring and lights fitted for that price.

In London for a proper job, with expert tiling thats a fair price. I'm sure someone would attempt to do it for cheaper, but then you get for you pay for and the chap came recommended.
But how many days/man hours did the job involve....any good plumber should be able to work to a high standard, its not exactly something that requries major intelligence lets face it!!

Plumbers do take the **** pricewise, and I agree that I hope the rise in interest rates/pending recession hit the ******* as hard as they deserve!!
Old 14 January 2007, 03:10 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Yeah, and plumbers take the ****, like all trades, hopefully with the interest rate rises they might feel the pinch and get more competitive and attentive, i.e. ring you back, turn up when they say they will !
lol it depends on what sort of plumber it is. Always ask for a corgi card, unless its just a simple job. Plumbers have to remeber TONS of regulations, and if they get it wrong it can endanger your livelyhood and at best make your new appliances run inefficiently.

Plumbings not as simple as some people deem it to be, otherwise everyone would be one.

And iterest rates increase and a recession wont harm plumbers, even with the huge influx of foreign scum who cant do the job properly to british standards we can still be picky about what jobs we take on.

Deep singh that was a very good price you got there.
Know of quite alot bathroom fitters who would have charged about 7 grand

any good plumber should be able to work to a high standard, its not exactly something that requries major intelligence lets face it!!
From what I have noticed is that the dumber the plumber the ****ter their work is, although there have been a few exceptions. The next generation of plumbers will all be highly intelligent though, as due to the money plumbers can make more intelligent kids are opting to train as a plumber and competition is fierce for apprenticeships.

Last edited by AudiLover; 14 January 2007 at 03:12 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 14 January 2007, 03:14 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
lol it depends on what sort of plumber it is. Always ask for a corgi card, unless its just a simple job. Plumbers have to remeber TONS of regulations, and if they get it wrong it can endanger your livelyhood and at best make your new appliances run inefficiently.

Plumbings not as simple as some people deem it to be, otherwise everyone would be one.

And iterest rates increase and a recession wont harm plumbers, even with the huge influx of foreign scum who cant do the job properly to british standards we can still be picky about what jobs we take on.

Another ill-informed post from your good self....

How would a plumber doing the job wrong endanger MY livelihood??

As for the 'foreign scum' as you describe them, I assume you are making retarded references to the Eastern Europeans......I have seen some of the work these guys have done, particularly the Polish and they are A1 .....the Czechs are not so hot...........don't tar everyone with the same brush moron, I'll give you a simple analogy even you should be able to understand: Its a bit like saying all Audis are ****e. Whilst this is true for the vast majority of Audis, there are a few that are rather goiod...not that you'd know as a Volvo s40 driver...HAHA!!!
Old 14 January 2007, 03:26 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Another ill-informed post from your good self....

How would a plumber doing the job wrong endanger MY livelihood??

As for the 'foreign scum' as you describe them, I assume you are making retarded references to the Eastern Europeans......I have seen some of the work these guys have done, particularly the Polish and they are A1 .....the Czechs are not so hot...........don't tar everyone with the same brush moron, I'll give you a simple analogy even you should be able to understand: Its a bit like saying all Audis are ****e. Whilst this is true for the vast majority of Audis, there are a few that are rather goiod...not that you'd know as a Volvo s40 driver...HAHA!!!

You dont know enough about plumbing to even comment you fookin moron.

Tell me what do you think plumbing involves?

No doubt you think its only along the lines of changing taps, installing radiators etc.

Rules and regulations are there for a reason, do you think some polish guy who cant read english and barely speak it will know these. Do you want to be using contaminated water that could do serious harm to your health? Do you want to be lying in bed only for hot water cylinder to all of a sudden blow up? Do you want to risk a loved one to die because gas is seeping into their room and them being put into a coma from it?

Plumbers in regards are important like doctors. My job is to provide you with clean water and warmth so you dont have to go to the doctor with related illness' in the first place, all this whilst being as effiecient as possible to save energy. Then theres all the luxury items people want also, like boosted showers etc. There are plenty of risks out there hence the rules and regulations, and thats why you shouldnt just hire any old moron to do the job. Always ask to see their corgi card.
Old 14 January 2007, 03:29 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

From what I have noticed is that the dumber the plumber the ****ter their work is, although there have been a few exceptions. The next generation of plumbers will all be highly intelligent though, as due to the money plumbers can make more intelligent kids are opting to train as a plumber and competition is fierce for apprenticeships.
In this particular case Mr Audilover I really would suggest that you stop talking about something you REALLY don't know ANYTHING about. I tire of your usual pathetic comments on cars but accept that they are an opinion as opposed to attempting to provide any kind of useful advice.

I can't be bothered to correct all your inaccuracies but suffice it to say that Corgi registration applies only where gas is involved and also for the record the majority of the nations you selected in almost racist rant actually provide a better standard of tradesman than those in this country.

And yes I do know what I talking about as I'm a M & E design and construction consultant for several of the major construction companies in the country.

as for the original poster of this question PM and I'll give you a full breakdown of the real costs involved and may be able to recommend some descent tradesmen in your area dependent upon where you are!!!
Old 14 January 2007, 03:40 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mangel
In this particular case Mr Audilover I really would suggest that you stop talking about something you REALLY don't know ANYTHING about. I tire of your usual pathetic comments on cars but accept that they are an opinion as opposed to attempting to provide any kind of useful advice.

I can't be bothered to correct all your inaccuracies but suffice it to say that Corgi registration applies only where gas is involved and also for the record the majority of the nations you selected in almost racist rant actually provide a better standard of tradesman than those in this country.

And yes I do know what I talking about as I'm a M & E design and construction consultant for several of the major construction companies in the country.

as for the original poster of this question PM and I'll give you a full breakdown of the real costs involved and may be able to recommend some descent tradesmen in your area dependent upon where you are!!!

Wrong, you obviously dont know what your talking about, Corgi doesnt just cover gas. I cant be bothered to explain how it all works cause I will be sitting here for ages, but like I said corgi doesnt just cover gas work, and just because a person has a corgi card doesnt mean he or she is qualified to undertake all gas related jobs either.

So tell me sir, how can a polish tradesman be better than a english man when he has no knowldege of the rules and regulations that everyone has to abide to legally?
Old 14 January 2007, 04:11 PM
Mangel
Scooby Regular

Wrong, you obviously dont know what your talking about, Corgi doesnt just cover gas. I cant be bothered to explain how it all works cause I will be sitting here for ages, but like I said corgi doesnt just cover gas work, and just because a person has a corgi card doesnt mean he or she is qualified to undertake all gas related jobs either.
Agreed however in that case your earlier statement about corgi cards is wrong. There are different types of corgi card for different levels and types of plubing works that the operative is trained and certificated in. However, corgi training is undertaken in conjunction with other courses and it is only neccessary to be Corgi registered if you are undertaking gas works and only then if they require connection to a mains gas source.

So tell me sir, how can a polish tradesman be better than a english man when he has no knowldege of the rules and regulations that everyone has to abide to legally?
Its called comparative update bridge training. You should perhaps try some to move from Troll to Human one day!!

And one of the reasons they are better is because they are more interested in working and not sloping around doing f all!!

By the way how long have you worked in the construction industry?

Last edited by Mangel; 14 January 2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 14 January 2007, 04:51 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Anallover, you do talk utter ****.

Polish tradesman is better because

a) he turns up when hes supposed to tuen up, as opposed to English man, who turns up when he feels like it, if at all

b) Polish man charges rates that are reasoanble, rather than a sky high totally made up figure by English man

c) Polish man has a good work ethic, puts a solids days work in, and doesnt mind working till the job is done, whereas Englishman is constantly having ***/coffee breaks, wants to get off to go thge pub/watch footy etc etc...

The list is endless!! I dont like making sweeping generalisations as above, but as you appear unable to think along broader lines, I shall keep it nice and simple for you.

As for regulations, I know a fair few Corgis etc who happily break the law when it suits them, so dont spout **** about how ethical these people are, cos the vast majority (and I am SURE this represents the feelings of most on SN) find plumbers etc to be a ruthless, unscrupulous bunch.

BTW, if you are employed in this industry, you must make a fair wage......enough to buy an Audi?? Or are you still halfway through your YTS?
Old 14 January 2007, 05:27 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Turbo, I know what you mean by plumbers/tradesmen etc that take the **** both in price and attitude. My plumber is not one of them. Though I also agree that plumbing is not akin to rocket science there are still good plumbers/builders etc and bad ones. The latter tend to cut corners to make life simpler for them which makes life difficult for you in the long run.

Its a bit difficult for me to say exactly how long it took to justify the £4k as he was replumbing the whole house, putting in brand new central heating and refitting 3 other bathroom/toilets.

He did take a long time on everything. This pissed me off at first but then I realised that he would sometimes spend half a day finding a piece of skirting or timber that he may have damaged to exactly match the existing. He was not cheap but he was a 'proper' tradesman, did not cut corners, never whinged when I changed my mind about something half way through a job etc.

But I agree, for this one professional (and in my mind fairly priced) tradesman I have met 10 who wanted to take me for a ride.

Good luck
Old 15 January 2007, 12:51 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Cheers Deep, and luck I shall need!!

The main thing thats really pisses me off about tradesmen is the way they clearly take on more jobs than they can handle, and then somehow try to juggle all the jobs at once, telling lie after lie as to why they havnt turned up etc....

Anyway, it seems anallover has sent me off on a tangent.....so back to the Q, has anyone else got a ballpark figure they'd care to share with me?

TA!
Old 15 January 2007, 01:15 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I just installed an ensuite in a bedroom, new soil stack, pipes, towel rad, loo, basin shower cubicle, shower pump, shower & extractor (for the shower steam) and illuminated wall mirror.......

Took one plumber 4 days (including final electrical testing)..... all for a labour fee of £600.

The parts & sundries came to another £1100......

So around £1700 for me......
Old 15 January 2007, 04:26 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I just installed an ensuite in a bedroom, new soil stack, pipes, towel rad, loo, basin shower cubicle, shower pump, shower & extractor (for the shower steam) and illuminated wall mirror.......

Took one plumber 4 days (including final electrical testing)..... all for a labour fee of £600.

The parts & sundries came to another £1100......

So around £1700 for me......
DCI, when you say you installed an ensuite in the bedroom, how about the building work? ie partitioning a section of the room off or breaking into another room. Who did that? Also was tiling included in that price?
Old 15 January 2007, 04:44 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
DCI, when you say you installed an ensuite in the bedroom, how about the building work? ie partitioning a section of the room off or breaking into another room. Who did that? Also was tiling included in that price?
Apologies!

The ensuite was installed in a large walk in wardrobe with an existing window, but the price above included supply and fit of all the tiles as well.
Old 15 January 2007, 05:43 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Apologies!

The ensuite was installed in a large walk in wardrobe with an existing window, but the price above included supply and fit of all the tiles as well.
£600 labour is DAMN cheap!! Im expecting to pay about £1200-1500, but Ive yet to get a bugger to come round at the agreed time!! They seem to view a 5pm appointment as between 1pm and 7pm......
Old 15 January 2007, 05:49 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

£600 labour is DAMN cheap!! Im expecting to pay about £1200-1500, but Ive yet to get a bugger to come round at the agreed time!! They seem to view a 5pm appointment as between 1pm and 7pm......
where do you live?
Old 15 January 2007, 08:24 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Has anyone got rid of the bath and only got a shower.
Devalue the house?
Old 15 January 2007, 11:38 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Apologies!

£600 for all the labour plus supply and fit of tiling??? I'd love to see a photo of the finished item if thats possible.