Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Was the £250k win on Deal or No Deal fixed ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2007, 10:10 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was the £250k win on Deal or No Deal fixed ?

Just thinking about this.

I think the producers might be thinking to themselves that no-one is going to win the £250k, so therefore people are going to start switching off.

There is no lack of people in the "hot seat" who have the £250k box - I think there have been 4 so far in that position. But the "problem" they had is that when it comes down to 2 boxes and the banker rings with an offer, that offer is always around £100k and no-one is going to turn £100k down on the chance they could win £250k, its just too much guarenteed cash.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they fixed it so the bankers offer was going to be low enough in that situation that it was much more likely someone would gamble for the £250k.

The lady that won the £250k, had £3k & £250k left. The offer from the banker came in at something like £30k or £40k something like that (can't remember) so she gambled and won.

It might just be me being critical, but would she (or anyone) have gambled if the banker offered £100k-ish, like he has on every other occasion like that before.

A £250k winner is just what the show needed, and I think it was part engineered.

R.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:18 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

But it could only be fixed to the extent that the temptation of the chance of a £250k win was too high to refuse, as you've rightly said, no?
Old 15 January 2007, 10:22 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Yeh exactly, I found it suspect that all the others before in that situation were made far far higher offers, that really could not be refused.
She gets offered (in relation) a very low offer that is far more likely to be refused - not 100% likely to be refused, but more likely, so they are not fixing it as such but manipulating it - as much as can.

R.
Old 15 January 2007, 10:44 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

You're worried that a show that includes a fictious "banker" making calclulated offers might be "engineered" ?!
Old 15 January 2007, 10:52 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

I have to agree with what's being said here

Both myself and the missus did feel like "something was going on" - at 43k, it was a VERY poor offer form the banker and tbh when they were talking about this woman's take home salary which gave me the impression it was sub 20k / year I was extremely suprised that she took the gamble.

Still there is the whole "well I'm only going to be in this position once" so fair play to her for taking the gamble
Old 15 January 2007, 10:55 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Definately wanted her to go for the gamble with the £45k offer.

Did see the guy that has £20k & £250k - Offered £100k - Gambled - LOST

They wanted a £250k winner "Over Christmas" - No doubt !
Old 15 January 2007, 10:55 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

So one person thinks the offer was surprisingly high, the original poster thinks it was artificially low - i think we have conclusive evidence that £43k was about right, and not "fixed"

Trending Topics

Old 15 January 2007, 11:14 AM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Question

Was anyone 'coughing' in the background
Old 15 January 2007, 11:15 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TelBoy
So one person thinks the offer was surprisingly high, the original poster thinks it was artificially low - i think we have conclusive evidence that £43k was about right, and not "fixed"
Don't think anyone thinks it was high for an offer. Maybe the banker was playing the girl in thinking his offer was 3 times her annual wage - either way he cost Channel 4 £150k - She would have walked with the correct £100k offer
Old 15 January 2007, 11:17 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I'll wager Mr Blobby's right bollock that was fixed
Old 15 January 2007, 11:20 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasey
Don't think anyone thinks it was high for an offer. Maybe the banker was playing the girl in thinking his offer was 3 times her annual wage - either way he cost Channel 4 £150k - She would have walked with the correct £100k offer
Her salary and the comments about "surprised she took the gamble" support my view that some people must have thought it was a high offer and that she'd accept. I bet her break-even point wasn't much higher than £43k, but we'll never know now in any case.
Old 15 January 2007, 11:29 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TelBoy
Her salary and the comments about "surprised she took the gamble" support my view that some people must have thought it was a high offer and that she'd accept. I bet her break-even point wasn't much higher than £43k, but we'll never know now in any case.
It was £20k wasn't it - She'd written it down in some book - the first reasonable offer of £19,999 was £1 short of her possibly walking.

When the banker offered her £45k then she obviously thought - this ****'s taking the **** - everybody else in my position has been offered £100k ish.

She was still pretty brave though
Old 15 January 2007, 11:32 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Haven't ever seen the "other" box as low as £3k though, i think £43k really was about right; as you say it does still take some ***** to turn that down when you have a 50/50 chance of "losing" £40k!
Old 15 January 2007, 11:52 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

When the banker offered her £45k then she obviously thought - this ****'s taking the **** - everybody else in my position has been offered £100k ish.
Exactly, I wouldn't be surprised if it had been agreed by the management and the banker that the next player in this situation is low-balled so that they are much more likely to gamble. Otherwise no-one would ever gamble & no-one would ever get the £250k & people would lose interest. Game shows NEED people to win the yop prize or people get bored of them.

R.
Old 15 January 2007, 12:31 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Game shows NEED people to win the yop prize or people get bored of them.

R.
Not me - I think they are all a load of toss and wouldn't waste my energy watching them anyway.
Old 15 January 2007, 12:37 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

if she would have a blue square and the 250,000 she would of got a sub £20,000 offer.

dont forget the show is pre-recorded and so was edited when the producers knew she had won.

the last one i saw was a women had dealt on £75,000 and at end was left with 75,000 and 250,000 and only got offered £120,000
Old 15 January 2007, 12:40 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Many of those saying it was fixed don't actually watch the programme week in week out. This game isn't just about boxes, it's about people. As soon as you appear on the show the banker is taking notes on what you say, and how you react to other offers.

Some of the contestants have realised this and used it to their advantage. For example recently one contestant always maintained that he would never deal with £250K still on the board, he wasn't the first one to say this, and previously it has led to high offers. This time the banker was having none of it, and until the £250K was taken out no cash offers were made.

This isn't a show that can be watched on fast forward as you have to learn about the personalities of the contestants.

Laura had always shown previously she was a cautious player, during sweeps she would always be one of the first to say deal. Was this part of her playing plan? I don't know, but the banker would of taken note that he could get away with low offers.

It didn't work this time, but has in the past. Plenty.

So, no, it wasn't fixed
Old 15 January 2007, 12:43 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

^^ What he said
Old 15 January 2007, 12:48 PM
N1gel 1970
Scooby Regular

it was only a matter of time before there was going to be a big winner as obviously the longer the show goes on, the higher the odds would become.

she was just playing the odds
Old 15 January 2007, 12:48 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Smiler
Many of those saying it was fixed don't actually watch the programme week in week out. This game isn't just about boxes, it's about people. As soon as you appear on the show the banker is taking notes on what you say, and how you react to other offers.

Some of the contestants have realised this and used it to their advantage. For example recently one contestant always maintained that he would never deal with £250K still on the board, he wasn't the first one to say this, and previously it has led to high offers. This time the banker was having none of it, and until the £250K was taken out no cash offers were made.

This isn't a show that can be watched on fast forward as you have to learn about the personalities of the contestants.

Laura had always shown previously she was a cautious player, during sweeps she would always be one of the first to say deal. Was this part of her playing plan? I don't know, but the banker would of taken note that he could get away with low offers.

It didn't work this time, but has in the past. Plenty.

So, no, it wasn't fixed
Yes it was.... and you need to get out more
Old 15 January 2007, 01:11 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

The offer was a joke. I didn't realise that others in the similar situation had been offered more - with that in mind it seems like they really did try and lead her down the 'gamble' path.

Before the offer was made I said to my partner that I expected the banker to offer £90-100,000 which would still represent considerable equity for him (and an offer I'd take as a player even though though I'm giving up pot equity). The offer of £45k is around 5:1 on a 2:1 shot. That's pathetic! Noel wouldn't have gotten beyond the 'forty' of saying 'forty-five thousand' before I'd have blurted out "NO-DEAL!"
Old 15 January 2007, 01:31 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Spot on .
Old 15 January 2007, 01:45 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Anyone who says that the programme didn't completely engineer the gamble by offering a paltry £45k in those circumstances is mad

A recent player (black girl) who was left with the £250k and her other box was a few k (from memory), was offered £107,000 and obviously she dealt. She'd be made to risk it with such an offer.

Offering £45k was as close to guaranteeing a gamble as the producers could get, and it got them their big winner that gives the ratings the boost they wanted.
Old 15 January 2007, 01:47 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smiler

READ the above Everyone's turned stoopid
Old 15 January 2007, 01:58 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Trying to give this show credibility by saying it's about people and their personalities is the funniest thing I've heard in ages.......

It's 110% ****e, made up on the spot, Noel Edmunds crap...... it's a fix, and he (Noel) should hang his bearded barnet in shame.....

The bit where he announces a break and everyone thinks it's funny is the worst bit....... blobby, blob.. blob
Old 15 January 2007, 02:11 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

But it is funny when they deal at £5,000 then continue on to find they would have won £250,000 - if only they were a little braver .

And the cocky one who didn't take the £100k cos he "knew" he had the £250k and went home with £20k was priceless .

But the best bit is when they ask people about their "strategy".

"Well Noel - I'm gonna open boxes until I get a decent offer !" - that would be too simple.

I'm in charge of a kiddie football team so I'm gonna take each of the Kids ages, divide by the number of parents they have, multiply by the number of gaols they score then subtract my mental age (7).
Old 15 January 2007, 02:15 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

But it is funny when they deal at £5,000 then continue on to find they would have won £250,000 - if only they were a little braver .

And the cocky one who didn't take the £100k cos he "knew" he had the £250k and went home with £20k was priceless .

But the best bit is when they ask people about their "strategy".

"Well Noel - I'm gonna open boxes until I get a decent offer !" - that would be too simple.

I'm in charge of a kiddie football team so I'm gonna take each of the Kids ages, divide by the number of parents they have, multiply by the number of gaols they score then subtract my mental age (7).
^^^Complete agreement, feckin retards..... the lot of them
Old 15 January 2007, 02:17 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

I agree it's a bunch of carp, but to say it has nothing to do with "reading" the contestants is naive. If it was tellies they were giving away then maybe, when it's quarter of a million quid then mark my words they have people behind the scenes who know what they're doing, mathematically and psychologically
Old 15 January 2007, 04:47 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
The offer was a joke. I didn't realise that others in the similar situation had been offered more - with that in mind it seems like they really did try and lead her down the 'gamble' path.

Before the offer was made I said to my partner that I expected the banker to offer £90-100,000 which would still represent considerable equity for him (and an offer I'd take as a player even though though I'm giving up pot equity). The offer of £45k is around 5:1 on a 2:1 shot. That's pathetic! Noel wouldn't have gotten beyond the 'forty' of saying 'forty-five thousand' before I'd have blurted out "NO-DEAL!"
Laura was young, 24. In previous shows during sweeps she was indicating she would deal with quite low offers.

Laura gave off lots and lots of signals that she would deal at a fairly low offer.

This was learnt from her previous appearances.

Therefore the banker based all his offers on this information.

You also have to bare in mind that for some people £10K is an awful lot of money and life changing, whilst for others it isn't.
Old 15 January 2007, 04:48 PM
Smiler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt

I've always wanted to use that Smilie

Quick Reply: Was the £250k win on Deal or No Deal fixed ?