Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

FAO High Wycombe peeps: does this make me sad?

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2007, 03:41 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO High Wycombe peeps: does this make me sad?

/geek mode on

For anyone who lives in High Wycombe & travels along "Daws Hill Lane" will know how much of a killer the speed bumps are down there. . .

Well, after a bit of googling - it turns out there are some regulations to stipulate the maximum hight & gradient of a speed bump.

Just by looking at the speed bumps, you can see they do not comply with Traffic Advisory Leaflet 7/96.

So I reported them as being over size!

They have engineers going out next week to fix the pot holes & they will spot-check the bumps while they are there. With a view to resize them (if necessary) next quarter!

I guess only time will tell.

In the mean time I will go over them V E R Y S L O W L E Y to avoid excessive damage / ware to my car

Highways (Road Humps) Regulations 1996

http://www.pacts.org.uk/policy/briefings/roadhumps.pdf

/geek mode off

Old 12 January 2007, 03:49 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live just off of that road so I know it only too well. As you travel along from RAF Dawes hill towards the A404 the speed bumps either side of the entrance to the school are terrible. Everyone crawls along that road now at 15 mph even if they're in big 4x4s

The road is falling apart along that stretch

Is that you I see driving along there on the P plate blue sti wagon?
Old 12 January 2007, 03:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Yes (he is sad - not the sti wagon bit )

Why don't you just hire a JCB and sort them out like a real man

Last edited by David Lock; 12 January 2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12 January 2007, 03:53 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Yes (he is sad - not the sti wagon bit )

Why don't you just hire a JCB and sort them out like a real man
Tempting It's a joke living along that road because everyone is so scared of the bumps that they do 15-20mph between the bumps and 5 mph over them.
Old 12 January 2007, 03:58 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I know those bumps all too well . In fact went over them just last night and they have changed over the last few years, not any better mind !!

They used to be real nasties, with bricks instead of tarmac, then they made them into more like cushions, but kept them the same height and guess what, that hasnt made them any better and the road surface is degrading as fast.

But Wycombe council is guilty of this in a number of places.
If you go to Micklefield road the bumps along there are just as bad and yet they end before the shops and more importantly the school starts

They have tried loads of different calming techniques and there have been loads of campaigns to get them lowered/changed. Just go into the local butcher in that parade of shops and ask him..you will be there for hours as he rants on about them

the council just pays lip service to any complaints, so dont get your hopes up mate
Old 12 January 2007, 03:59 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Yes Paul, 'tis me in the P plate wagon.
Old 12 January 2007, 04:03 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Yeah speed bumps everywhere around Wycombe

I just drive a regular 2.0 A4 (not a sport model or anything), and the front of that scrapes the ground over some of the bigger speed bumps unless I drop to about 2 mph

Dont know how people with anything slightly sporty manage.

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2007, 04:03 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I know those bumps all too well . In fact went over them just last night and they have changed over the last few years, not any better mind !!

They used to be real nasties, with bricks instead of tarmac, then they made them into more like cushions, but kept them the same height and guess what, that hasnt made them any better and the road surface is degrading as fast.

But Wycombe council is guilty of this in a number of places.
If you go to Micklefield road the bumps along there are just as bad and yet they end before the shops and more importantly the school starts

They have tried loads of different calming techniques and there have been loads of campaigns to get them lowered/changed. Just go into the local butcher in that parade of shops and ask him..you will be there for hours as he rants on about them

the council just pays lip service to any complaints, so dont get your hopes up mate
With the old ones that they replaced in August last year you could line your car up to get your wheels either side so that you didn't really feel the bumps too much but now you have no chance. As you know I walk along there regularly and you should see the grooves in them and the sparks that come off of peoples cars as they go over them at a resonable speed

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Yes Paul, 'tis me in the P plate wagon.
If you see someone in a crappy blue 54 plate Vectra waving you know who it is
Old 12 January 2007, 04:08 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
If you see someone in a crappy blue 54 plate Vectra waving you know who it is

Not sure how much longer I'll have the scoob - going the way of the 330D crowd.
Old 12 January 2007, 04:13 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I went in one of those back in the summer and I was very impressed with it. It went well, didn't sound like a diesel and it was very well equiped
Old 12 January 2007, 05:05 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul

You won't regret it - I changed my '05 JDM STI for a late E46 330D last year and haven't looked back. It's much more comfortable, better built, has agile RWD handling with great feedback, as much torque as the STI (from only 1500 rpm!) and returns about 35mpg. It's hard to argue with that lot IMHO.

Speaking of mpg, I wonder whether anyone with a good on-board computer has driven that road and measured their fuel consumption? It should be good ammo against the pro-speed-hump lobby; it's easy to achieve single figure mpg with the sort of repeated braking and acceleration that speed humps encourage. That's trackday consumption, and if there's one argument the Govt seems to listen to these days it's a 'green' one.
Old 12 January 2007, 05:52 PM
Scrappy2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

So I reported them as being over size!
Well done that man! Many a time my sump has made horrible noises along that road! What with that and people tailgating as they don't appreciate how low the car is (LCR)!

Let's hope it makes a difference! Lose the bumps, stick the camera back and a couple of pinches, that should sort it out!
Old 12 January 2007, 06:08 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Hi Paul
Speaking of mpg, I wonder whether anyone with a good on-board computer has driven that road and measured their fuel consumption? It should be good ammo against the pro-speed-hump lobby; it's easy to achieve single figure mpg with the sort of repeated braking and acceleration that speed humps encourage. That's trackday consumption, and if there's one argument the Govt seems to listen to these days it's a 'green' one.
Hi Andy

That's a good point about the mpg and something that I'd forgotten to investigate (having a crap car without a computer doesn't help) so that'd be interesting. I might have to try it in Cat's golf because hers has a computer that shows fuel consumption.