Schools postcode lottery ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2007, 12:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Schools postcode lottery ?

Latest Labour bright idea.

Rather than sending kids to the nearest school to their home, they will draw their names out of a hat and send them elsewhere.

School-places lottery aims to end 'back-door' selection - Britain - Times Online

So, having three kids, they potentially could end up at three separate secondary schools, this is to avoid 'the middle classes' having access to the best schools because they live in the area.

I do think that places shouldnt be based on nepotism but new Labout go on about green issues and then want to send millions of kids all over the place, they need to travel there somehow so it will be either public transport or more than likely a car, dead clever eh.

Plus, people are skinning themselves to buy houses in good areas near a decent school whilst some sit on their ***** and live in a slum but end up going to the decent schools, so rather than having good and bad schools it will just be many mediocre ones.
Old 11 January 2007, 01:08 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds pretty idiotic. Just having a discussion with a colleague about what school she is sending her son to and she said that she will try and get him into the best one, but if he fails, he won't necessarily be able to go to her second choice and may end up wherever there are spaces which could be miles away and not the best school for the child.

So what would be a better idea? Our local school is in special measures even though the area I live in is not too bad, it's because the catchment area includes some pretty nasty estates etc. Not trying to start a class war here.... I would like my daughter to go to a school which we are 1 mile out of catchment, so I might try it on....
Old 11 January 2007, 02:01 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Why not send the kids to the nearest schools but rotate the teaching staff between schools on a regular basis?

Problem solved
Old 11 January 2007, 02:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Another reason not to have kids.

You'd have no problems then. Plus, you'd a **** load more cash to spend on yourself and the missus.
Old 11 January 2007, 03:07 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Shame your parents didn't take the same approach...
Old 11 January 2007, 03:11 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Latest Labour bright idea.

I do think that places shouldnt be based on nepotism but new Labout go on about green issues and then want to send millions of kids all over the place, they need to travel there somehow so it will be either public transport or more than likely a car, dead clever eh.
But when kids are driven to school, then that uses fuel, which is taxed so the government makes money. Then you get congestion, so you slap on a congestion charge and make more money.

Walking to school is not good for the government coffers
Old 11 January 2007, 05:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by stilover
Another reason not to have kids.

You'd have no problems then. Plus, you'd a **** load more cash to spend on yourself and the missus.
Or you can get rid of the missus aswell and have **** loads more cash to spend on yourself