Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Super Audio CD

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2001, 04:29 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

I have just bought a SACD player (for the home so not ICE), does anyone else here have one and if so do you have it connected to your amp via the normal phono leads or via a "digital cd optical connector" or "cd coaxial connector", obviously im assuming either of the latter will be far superior to the phono leads, anyone with any experiance??
Old 30 November 2001, 09:21 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that SACD players only produce ordinary CD-quality signals through their digital outputs, and output the higher quality signals from SACD discs through their analogue (phono) sockets only.

There are several reasons for this - it's partly because many amplifiers' digital inputs can't cope with the higher sample rate and resolution that SACDs use, and partly because the publishers are paranoid about people recording digitally from SACD players, and getting copies that are as good as the studio master tapes.

If you use the digital connectors, therefore, your SACD player will sound no better than the cheapest ordinary CD player - so you want to use the analogue ones!

Andy.
Old 30 November 2001, 09:53 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cheers Andy

Ive spent the last hour reading various reviews from around the world, on the net and they all come to the same conclusion, brilliant sound reproduction, enhanced by quality analogue phono leads, shall go back to store and get them to rig up a few sets see whats best, having said that its still in its box under my desk, time to leave work and plug this baby in.

Dave