Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can we have a "no" amnesty, please?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2006, 12:57 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Can we have a "no" amnesty, please?

Now, I'm not one to play the school teacher and correct everyones faux pas in English useage.

But, I have to conceed to one thing I will have to point out to those who seemingly don't know any better:

It's spelt "KNOW"

know (nō)

v., knew (nū, nyū), known (nōn), know·ing, knows.

v.tr.
To perceive directly; grasp in the mind with clarity or certainty.
To regard as true beyond doubt: I know she won't fail.
To have a practical understanding of, as through experience; be skilled in: knows how to cook.
To have fixed in the mind: knows her Latin verbs.
To have experience of: “a black stubble that had known no razor” (William Faulkner).

To perceive as familiar; recognize: I know that face.
To be acquainted with: He doesn't know his neighbors.
To be able to distinguish; recognize as distinct: knows right from wrong.
To discern the character or nature of: knew him for a liar.
Archaic. To have sexual intercourse with.
v.intr.
To possess knowledge, understanding, or information.
To be cognizant or aware.
idioms:
in the know Informal.

Possessing special or secret information.
you know Informal.
Used parenthetically in conversation, as to fill pauses or educe the listener's agreement or sympathy: Please try to be, you know, a little quieter. How were we supposed to make camp in a storm like that, you know?

[Middle English knouen, from Old English cnāwan.]

knowable know'a·ble adj.
knower know'er n.
Thankyou
Old 18 December 2006, 01:00 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Know we can't
Old 18 December 2006, 01:04 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Where has this come from or am i missing something
Old 18 December 2006, 01:08 PM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

Know you haven't

And I no what you mean...
Old 18 December 2006, 01:18 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
Where has this come from or am i missing something
If you brows in the various scoobynet forums enough. Normally, you'll find someone (usually a newbie) popping up and spelling "know" as "no".

They also have a habit of typing with caps lock on and using "PLZ" instead of "please".

If I had too much time on my hands I would compile a hall of shame.
Old 18 December 2006, 01:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

What about the rest!

There their
lose loose

The list is endless. The standard of some English on here is appalling.
Old 18 December 2006, 01:27 PM
stiginger
Scooby Regular

to tell the truth who cares about everyones spelling i come on here to talk about subarues not english lessons

ps my spellings one of the worst on here but who cares realey not me
Old 18 December 2006, 01:28 PM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
If you brows in the various scoobynet forums.....
brows browse

Old 18 December 2006, 01:30 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

So I missed the "e" key and couldn't be bothered to edit....

Now, I'm not one to play the school teacher and correct everyones faux pas in English useage.
Old 18 December 2006, 01:33 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

some people might be dixlexsic ?

I no one person I used to speak to always typed no instead of know

but i new what he meant
Old 18 December 2006, 01:34 PM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

So I missed the "e" key and couldn't be bothered to edit....

LOL

Sorry, it was just the irony..
Old 18 December 2006, 01:34 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

On 3..........

"Know well"

"Know well"

"Know well"

Old 18 December 2006, 01:38 PM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Some people just aren't that good at spelling, and victimising them on a public forum isn't going to make them any better either.

Everyone has their faults don't they?
Old 18 December 2006, 01:40 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahameS
Some people just aren't that good at spelling, and victimising them on a public forum isn't going to make them any better either.

Yes, the funny thing with SN is that you could be a mass murderer and people wont bother

If you cant spell, or have cr@p grammar then you are in deep trouble

Old 18 December 2006, 01:50 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

A very poorly constructed post makes for very difficult reading. Not bothering to make your post legible for someone else to read is lazy and ignorant.

There was one post on here the other day that was about 50 lines long and didn't contain a single full stop. Naturally there were spelling mistakes galore and in the end I just gave up trying to read it.

And for the argument that some people aren't good at spelling, why not use a spell-checker or something. You'd not only learn how to use the language correctly, you'd also come across less foolish to others.
Old 18 December 2006, 01:51 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahameS

Your seriously trying to tell me people honestly believe that "know" is spelt as "no". Were these people educated via a mobile phone?

I could let people off with mixing up their/there lose/loose too/to beleive/belive 0etc. Accompanied with a dashing of apostrophes from the pepper pot.

Surely everyone knows the word "no" has no other meaning but that; No! So substituting it for a word that describes knowledge must show either they lack it (knowledge) or are just plain lazy. I refuse to believe that anyone is that poor at English could use a keyboard, providing they could even switch on the computer.

So I conclude they are just being plain lazy.

Last edited by Shark Man; 18 December 2006 at 01:57 PM. Reason: dotting the i's crossing the t's and reaming the arses of the pedentics :razz:
Old 18 December 2006, 01:54 PM
Ryo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
A very poorly constructed post makes for very difficult reading. Not bothering to make your post legible for someone else to read is lazy and ignorant.

There was one post on here the other day that was about 50 lines long and didn't contain a single full stop. Naturally there were spelling mistakes galore and in the end I just gave up trying to read it.

And for the argument that some people aren't good at spelling, why not use a spell-checker or something. You'd not only learn how to use the language correctly, you'd also come across less foolish to others.
Totally agree - and people who use txt style language in their posts just makes me ignore the post and the point they are trying to make.

I just think that people are more likely to make a point if they use reasonably well spelt english and reasonably coherent sentences.
Old 18 December 2006, 01:57 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by stiginger
to tell the truth who cares about everyones spelling i come on here to talk about subarues not english lessons

ps my spellings one of the worst on here but who cares realey not me
But it begs the question, why is your spelling so bad? do they not teach spelling in schools anymore??????

Also how come nobody seems to care that their spelling is crap and they come across as uneducated idiots?
Old 18 December 2006, 01:59 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryo
Totally agree - and people who use txt style language in their posts just makes me ignore the post and the point they are trying to make.

I just think that people are more likely to make a point if they use reasonably well spelt english and reasonably coherent sentences.
I no wot u mean
Old 18 December 2006, 02:00 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Shark man. Pedant rules! Your first 'your' should be you're.
Old 18 December 2006, 02:04 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Shark man. Pedant rules! Your first 'your' should be you're.
I could let people off with mixing up their/there lose/loose too/to beleive/belive etc. Accompanied with a dashing of apostrophes from the pepper pot.

For sakes of stressing emphasis.
Old 18 December 2006, 02:05 PM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Your seriously trying to tell me people honestly believe that "know" is spelt as "no". Were these people educated via a mobile phone?

I could let people off with mixing up their/there lose/loose too/to beleive/belive 0etc. Accompanied with a dashing of apostrophes from the pepper pot.

Surely everyone knows the word "no" has no other meaning but that; No! So substituting it for a word that descibes knowledge must show either they lack it (knowledge) or are just plain lazy. I refuse to believe that anyone that poor at English could use a keyboard, providing they could even switch on the computer.

So I conclude they are just being plain lazy.
They probably just spell it as they think it is pronounced, I don't see what is so difficult to believe about that? There are plenty of identically spelt words with different meanings, bear/ bear (animal) etc, maybe they see know/no in the same way.

I agree, poor grammar and text speak is difficult to read. Though at the same time people don't want to run everything they write through spelling & grammar checkers just to avoid being picked on when all they are trying to do is be helpful on a forum.

I just don't see any need to pick on people that's all.
Old 18 December 2006, 02:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Yes Grahame, nobody is perfect, especially me. But when you have to wade through a poor post, it is somewhat distracting to try and decipher what's been posted. This is the example I was refering to:

"I think ive posted this story before, well here goes again

Some 10 years ago i had a subaru leone, was driving near where i live on some b roads minding my own buisness, suddenly i notice this spot in my rear view mirror which turned out to be a madman in a polo closing rapidly on me, think nothing of it until he puts the car inches from my rear bumber, he was litterally inches of my rear bumber, so i got a bit grumpy about it, and when he could overtake he did and raced on, so i decided to show him how anoying it is to have someone stuck up your ****, got up to some silly speeds and it clearly worked, the madman did not seem to like having a car sticking to the bumber of his car, so he starts to make gestures pointing to the side of the road clearly wanting me to stop and get out of the car, so i flipped the bird to him a couple of times, as we drive along we come to a rail crossing and a train is comming and we had to stop for the train, together with other cars waiting at the crossing, now im right behind the polo and he keeps giving the finger, i just sit in my car and do the same, suddenly the door opens and out comes this huge bloke and start walking towards my car and still strapped in my car with seatbelt on, i open the window as he approaches and give ham a verbal makeover, he was completely redfaced and then he started to throw punches at me through the window while he screamed he was going to kill me, i manage to fend off a blow with my arm, get the seatbelt of, open the door and he is still having a swing at me as i get out of my car, i manage to get out of his grip, andrenalin is pumping through my vains now, as i realize im in a fight with a huge bloke that is not going to stop until i make him stop

in the meantime the other motorsists waiting for the train to pass is watching this lol, i had sunglasses on while driving, didnt seem to make him wanna punch my face in less, as above i get out of his grip and take some steps away from him, take of my sunglasses and put them on the roof of my car and then i walked towards him and asked him to take swing at me again, i managed to talk him a bit down but he was still very upset and while he was looking to the side briefly i had a good punch that landed right in his face, smack and this seemed to change his attitude and now he starts to talk about moving the cars so the other motorists could get on since the train has already passed, i manage to give him a good kick near the throat, and this completely put him of to more fighting, i simply told him to get his fat **** into his car and get moving and thats what he did he just turned around and drove away, while driving behind him he kept giving me gestures, he finally turned of, never saw him again

I know i shouldnt have done what i did, but i was young and it really pissed me off at the time, i havent seen or been in any situation like this since, and i just tend to ignore road rage situations and get on my way"
Old 18 December 2006, 02:22 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Talking of spelling in schools

the eldest who is 6 has been told just to write stuff now, and dont care about the spelling, and try and expand her vocabulary

Since this her spelling has gone downhill but she is writing a lot more words, they are told to do it phonetically

A teacher (not hers) told me that its all to do with SATS now, as they are marked on Vocabulary and not spelling !!
Old 18 December 2006, 02:23 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Just with this particular word useage the word "no" cannot be used for anthing but stating denial.

So, knowing that "no", cannot mean anything else but "no" is a simple logical rule anyone with the most basic skill should be able to comprehend. If they can't, it makes me wonder how on earth they can read this very forum if they cannot correctly interpret words.

If people cannot grasp that no can mean nothing but no, I really think they should be encouraged to seek further education. Bearing in mind some even own and drive a car, even affording run a Impreza, scary.

Criticism is the first step used to push someone to better themselves.

Remember lads...No means NO!
Old 18 December 2006, 02:26 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Your, you're, you'll & you've are my favourites....... your sure to get these mistakes time after time

But as long as it isn't feckin text speak I don't care about grammar or spelling... u dig m8
Old 18 December 2006, 02:26 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Well said that man

What really surprises me is the amount of people who don't think good spelling and punctuation is important. Imagine how difficult it would be to communicate via the written word if we let them have their way so that the English language dissolved into a series of random letters

Talking of random letters I tried to read a thread on here the other day which had no capitals, no punctuation and some really badly misspelt words - for example unshower instead of unsure - and the poster took extreme umbrage when he got pulled up on it

Last edited by Scoobychick; 18 December 2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 18 December 2006, 02:27 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Remember lads...No means NO!
You no you're stuff
Old 18 December 2006, 02:32 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

scoobynutta555, here's one for you, taken from a current thread on Scoobynet:

"hi is it possible for some one to let me have the dates and places where all this rally take place just got in to it as i was a big fan of f1 but want to have a change from f1.... dates for wrc well all groups if thats what rally go buy

as i am unshower what i am looking for thanks"

Quick Reply: Can we have a "no" amnesty, please?