Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tom Tom 510

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2006, 07:51 PM
DarrenSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Tom 510

Had a look in the search section on here, but can't really find related 510 threads. So my question is has anyone on here got a Tom Tom 510?, if so what do you think of it?, pros and cons?.

My Dad is after one for Christmas, but wants a speed camera detector built in it, as well as Sat Nav. Had a look in Halfords they are £299, look nice with the wide screen, which will help!.

Are there any additional charges to get the up dates for the speed camera locations (maybe evry month or so?).

Cheers Guys
Daz.
Old 05 December 2006, 08:04 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Hi,

Halfords might not be the cheapest....try currys (from top of my head).

Its static cameras only.... trafic and camera updates from tomtom are there abouts to £40 per year or £2 per month updates from poquetgps (cameras only)

Since the release of tomtom home (pc suite) they are a breeze to update even for the least pc minded person.
Old 06 December 2006, 11:42 AM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

I was after a 510, but after reading the review online and on amazon:
Amazon.co.uk: TomTom Go 510 Great Britain GPS Navigation Unit: Electronics & Photo

they were not good, so i went for the Mio. Does everything the TT510 does and more, plus the first years subscriptions are free:

Review: Mio C710 satellite navigation device - WhatPC?

(You could get the 510e, which is £100 cheaper (£199), buy a 1gb SD card for £15 and put the europe maps on that (supplied)).

Hope that helps...
Old 06 December 2006, 12:21 PM
FaceLess
Scooby Newbie

I also went for the Mio C710 after reading the reviews...

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/162264

Last edited by FaceLess; 06 December 2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06 December 2006, 12:37 PM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

I have a 510. Generally I find it ok, it can be a bit slow on cold startup to get a signal. Routing is also good and reasonably quick although have not seen anything else to compare it against.

Speed camera database is pretty poor and I read several reports as well that also claim the same. I personally joined Pocket GPSworld (Pocket GPS World) and downloaded their independant database. Which can be spilt up into speed zones whichs makes turning off motorways easy if you need to. My biggest bugbear at the moment is I am unable to switch off the built in speed camera database and it still keeps telling me about out of position cameras and the like. I have disabled POI's and alerts several times but it still keeps going off so not sure what is happening there.
Old 06 December 2006, 12:45 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I've been using a TomTom Go for nearly 2 years - it has been fantastic. Can't comment on some of the issues about design quality (mine has been faultless BTW), but the Tom Tom's always seem to come out near the top for navigation, which is I guess the main reason for having one.

Do search around for the best price though. Plently of online shops offering good deals.
Old 06 December 2006, 12:55 PM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Anderooo
I have a 510. Generally I find it ok, it can be a bit slow on cold startup to get a signal. Routing is also good and reasonably quick although have not seen anything else to compare it against.

Speed camera database is pretty poor and I read several reports as well that also claim the same. I personally joined Pocket GPSworld (Pocket GPS World) and downloaded their independant database. Which can be spilt up into speed zones whichs makes turning off motorways easy if you need to. My biggest bugbear at the moment is I am unable to switch off the built in speed camera database and it still keeps telling me about out of position cameras and the like. I have disabled POI's and alerts several times but it still keeps going off so not sure what is happening there.
>>>off topic<<<

Have you gone to the plus services and disabled the warnings from there m8?

>>>off topic<<<

Trending Topics

Old 06 December 2006, 01:05 PM
bobsabuilder
Scooby Regular

Another big for the Mio sat navs, waaaaaaaaaay better than those To$$ To$$ ones.

Bob
Old 06 December 2006, 01:13 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris L
I've been using a TomTom Go for nearly 2 years - it has been fantastic. Can't comment on some of the issues about design quality (mine has been faultless BTW), but the Tom Tom's always seem to come out near the top for navigation, which is I guess the main reason for having one.

Do search around for the best price though. Plently of online shops offering good deals.
The new Go is considered the best in the range, but as for the 510...
Old 06 December 2006, 01:14 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Not sure about the spec or contract cost BUT T-mobile in Meadowhall had an advert offering a free Tom Tom with a new contract phone. Might be worth checking your local store if you want a phone too that is.
Old 06 December 2006, 01:29 PM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by agent003
>>>off topic<<<

Have you gone to the plus services and disabled the warnings from there m8?

>>>off topic<<<
Yes I think so, but I will double check just incase. Will let you know if I have been a complete numpty.