Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

V for Vendetta - Glimpse into the future perhaps?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2006, 11:29 PM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V for Vendetta - Glimpse into the future perhaps?

Just watched V for Vendetta. Thought it was a great film but chilling how the grim future predicted actually seems to be in part becoming a reality (film was produced well over a year ago).

Police state, surveillance at every opportunity, ID cards, eves dropping on the public being proposed at certain events, effective censorship of the media (BBC charter threatened by government), all powerful dictatorship style leadership (all the main parties are becoming one - no real choice), climate of fear, laws preventing demonstration or opposition (protests outside houses of parliament banned and 'terrorist' legislation), oppressive schemes that the public don't want (Road Charging), restrictions on free speach etc.

This idea of a revolution... I suspect over the next 10-20 years we will see more and more of this, so perhaps one day...

As a note, interesting the civil war in America scenario the film contained... I do see this is a very real possibility down the line.
Old 04 December 2006, 12:09 AM
maxxielives
Scooby Regular

You might also enjoy George Orwell's 1984 - he wrote it in 1949 and it too has a grim outlook for the future with similar overtones to "V". It's where the "Big Brother" term originally came from.

Well worth a read if you haven't already.
Old 04 December 2006, 12:50 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

one of my all time fave films dude, i went tae see it the first day it came oot

i luv V a very sad story and i loved it tae bits

i swear after i watched it , i wanted tae start a revolution and let november the 5th start once more against the evil empire of blair
Old 04 December 2006, 12:55 AM
Critical Bill
BANNED

moses, I've noticed that you type a phonetic Scottish accent... but when you speak in real life do you have a Scottish accent, or do you sound like Abu Hamza al-Masri?
Old 04 December 2006, 01:03 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Originally Posted by Critical Bill
moses, I've noticed that you type a phonetic Scottish accent... but when you speak in real life do you have a Scottish accent, or do you sound like Abu Hamza al-Masri?

lol i sound like a proper glaswegian, thats what i am

i can speak english tae but people here cant understand me, lol so when i speak my own way they can lol

croosh u mind crush here, he has met me, rob aka cryptwalk and also michellewrx, very very nice people

we all had lunch together and chelle took me oot on rich's 22b lol, wicked and she lost it on the track haha

u can speak tae them and they will confirm i dont sound like abu hamsa lol
Old 04 December 2006, 01:09 AM
Critical Bill
BANNED

Originally Posted by moses
u can speak tae them and they will confirm i dont sound like abu hamsa lol
Well there is sound like and there is sound like. If not one in sound then the other in content perhaps?
Old 04 December 2006, 01:16 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Critical Bill
Well there is sound like and there is sound like. If not one in sound then the other in content perhaps?
u mean as extreme

yes i am extreme, unlike abu hamza, i have luv for humanity and Gods creation and colours, im extreme against bigots, zionists and oppressors but loving tae the nice folk of the world , black, brown, white, yellow, i dont see them as colours but if their my friends, their my brothers

i only class racists as a colour but humans i dont

abu hamza aint extreme, he is a transgressor and peddler of hate as woz hitler and as is nick griffin

extreme is good, u can be extremly lovely , loving, extremly peaceful and nice and also extremly against injustice

white bigots, call me racist lol, which is funny, they call me a muslim terrorist a black *******, a paki ******* go home etc

u should see my reps lol, it makes me laff, bigots i just wanna cleanse them parasites fae the faceof the earth, i would luv tae be a hitler tae evil doers who spread hatred and harm innocents

their such cowards , when they attack me, they hide behind fake names and open up other users and spread evil via reps

such r the cowards

but thank God for the blessed people here, i get many a blessed rep tae

Trending Topics

Old 04 December 2006, 01:19 AM
Critical Bill
BANNED

Oh ok, well that's just dandy then.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:20 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben v7
Just watched V for Vendetta. Thought it was a great film but chilling how the grim future predicted actually seems to be in part becoming a reality (film was produced well over a year ago).

Police state, surveillance at every opportunity, ID cards, eves dropping on the public being proposed at certain events, effective censorship of the media (BBC charter threatened by government), all powerful dictatorship style leadership (all the main parties are becoming one - no real choice), climate of fear, laws preventing demonstration or opposition (protests outside houses of parliament banned and 'terrorist' legislation), oppressive schemes that the public don't want (Road Charging), restrictions on free speach etc.

This idea of a revolution... I suspect over the next 10-20 years we will see more and more of this, so perhaps one day...

As a note, interesting the civil war in America scenario the film contained... I do see this is a very real possibility down the line.
I totally agree, I can see this actually happening, all-be-it without the comfort of such a character such as V. WHEN it happens, it'll be brutal and messy.

I'm not saying I'm planning it or anything like that BUT lets face it reality, this country IS going to hell in a hand cart, we all moan and b*tch about it to each other but soon enough, the people of this country will take a stand.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:23 AM
moses
BANNED
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Bullitt_Rich
I totally agree, I can see this actually happening, all-be-it without the comfort of such a character such as V. WHEN it happens, it'll be brutal and messy.

I'm not saying I'm planning it or anything like that BUT lets face it reality, this country IS going to hell in a hand cart, we all moan and b*tch about it to each other but soon enough, the people of this country will take a stand.

i cant wait for the day

what makes V one of the best of superhero's is, he is so polite and classy and that mask and english accent , lol wicked, it woz pure class

when he wore the suicide jacket, i loved that part so much

everyone shat themselves
Old 04 December 2006, 01:33 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Coincidentally watched this on DVD on Saturday night. A better film than the reviews of the time said it was, I thought

The High Chancellor made me think of David Blunkett more than anyone

When it happens in the UK, it will be a lot more insidious than the film portrayed, here will be no Hitler style massed rallies, just a continual erosion of personal freedoms

BTW how you doing Moses? Long time no see
Old 04 December 2006, 01:34 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

moses, are you the same moses over on AVForums ? If so, YHPM over there.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:37 AM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maxxielives
You might also enjoy George Orwell's 1984 - he wrote it in 1949 and it too has a grim outlook for the future with similar overtones to "V". It's where the "Big Brother" term originally came from.

Well worth a read if you haven't already.
I'll have to read George Orwell's book. I had heard about it before now but it's become a must read for me now.

These grim predictions really do appear to be becoming a reality. An author's imagination of a repressive and controlling society are clearly similar to what our own 'leaders' have in mind - the notions are the same and now the technology is available to do it, it is being introduced under a thinly masked veil. The mask is surely starting to slip...

Power corrupts... and the band of individuals incharge of us all clearly have their aspirations.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:40 AM
maxxielives
Scooby Regular

mmmmmm - anarchy rules OK!

Moses, instead of praying for the destruction of western civilisation why don't you pray that the Arab empires spend just a little of the trillions of dollars they have in oil money and help their brethren around the world. Perhaps if they focused a little more on their people and less on a Jihad for world domination, the world would be a much more peaceful place.

Don't blame the conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan on the West - blame it on the suicidal maniacs and their cohorts who flew aeroplanes into public buildings killing thousands of innocent people. America is entitled to defend itself against that sort of aggression.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:43 AM
maxxielives
Scooby Regular

I'll have to read George Orwell's book. I had heard about it before now but it's become a must read for me now.

These grim predictions really do appear to be becoming a reality. An author's imagination of a repressive and controlling society are clearly similar to what our own 'leaders' have in mind - the notions are the same and now the technology is available to do it, it is being introduced under a thinly masked veil. The mask is surely starting to slip...

Power corrupts... and the band of individuals incharge of us all clearly have their aspirations.
Yeah, it's quite scary - think about the announcement that we'll all have to pay by the mile when we drive - they'll know everyplace we've been. Also CCTV everywhere - frightening - then there's biometric id cards - it's getting there/
Old 04 December 2006, 01:44 AM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bullitt_Rich

The values of democracy, governments doing what's best for their people and not themselves (individuals in power plus the big corporations) appear to be long gone. It is oppressive and the trust is gone - just brainwashing, propaganda and extortion.

Resentment must surely be growing... I certainly feel disilusioned and like I have no options. Vote conservative or labour - going to get largely the same. No wonder voter apathy is so high.

That phrase in the film, "People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people"... there must be a breaking point.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:47 AM
Ben v7
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it's quite scary - think about the announcement that we'll all have to pay by the mile when we drive - they'll know everyplace we've been. Also CCTV everywhere - frightening - then there's biometric id cards - it's getting there/
They are already introducing automatic number plate recognition into the network of speed cameras. With all the above included - I just can't understand why we need to be tracked in this way... would only make sense if you are planning a very controlled, opressed and sensored society.
Old 04 December 2006, 02:25 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...veillance.html
Old 04 December 2006, 07:47 AM
Torpid
BANNED

I've never seen the film, but I read the comic strip it is based on about 20 years ago.
In the original the civil war was in the UK and the people that won it were a bunch of black shirted fascists.
I'd imagine an episode or two of 'Storm Saxon' would go down great with a large proportion of scoobynet members.
Old 04 December 2006, 12:24 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

i dont know if the future depicted in 'vendetta' is very likely...what i thought was more believeable was the vision of the uk in 'children of men'...particularly dark, but i liked their policy on illegal immigrants...
Old 04 December 2006, 01:21 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Don't blame the conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan on the West - blame it on the suicidal maniacs and their cohorts who flew aeroplanes into public buildings killing thousands of innocent people. America is entitled to defend itself against that sort of aggression.
Yeah, cos as we all know America wouldn't have *dreamed* of invading Iraq prior to 9/11 !!

Anyway, back on topic V for Vendetta is a great film ! As well as 1984, check out Brave New World by Aldous Huxley for a totalitarian vision of the future.
Old 04 December 2006, 01:43 PM
mpr
Scooby Regular

I too thought it a good film... but found it rather strange that it was a "conservative" government that kicked it all off in the film???? whereas in real life the current lot fit the portrayal of the government in the film perfectly.

this country is screwed up too badly already....
by the time all the liberal muppets that have infiltrated every position of power actually notice that it's all gone wrong - it'll be way too late to fix it.
Old 04 December 2006, 02:59 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
i dont know if the future depicted in 'vendetta' is very likely...what i thought was more believeable was the vision of the uk in 'children of men'...particularly dark, but i liked their policy on illegal immigrants...
I had a tear in my eye when the baby's crying brought a temporary halt to the fighting. I think I might be a latent homosexual.
Old 04 December 2006, 03:00 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torpid
I've never seen the film, but I read the comic strip it is based on about 20 years ago.
On the previous V for Vendetta thread:
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ta#post5605214
Originally Posted by Rabid
I watched it at home and thought it was a weak dissappointment. Special effects might have looked better on the big screen I suppose but overall I thought they dumbed it down too much.
Interesting.

Last edited by TopBanana; 04 December 2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04 December 2006, 03:10 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Old 04 December 2006, 03:10 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by TopBanana
On the previous V for Vendetta thread:
https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ta#post5605214

Interesting.
That'll be because I turned it off half way through so I can't really claim to have watched it on reflection.
Old 04 December 2006, 03:12 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

That'll be because I turned it off half way through so I can't really claim to have watched it on reflection.
Not a great get out that, Torpid/Rabid.
Old 04 December 2006, 03:13 PM
Torpid
BANNED

It's the truth though, take it or leave it.
Old 04 December 2006, 03:19 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

It's the truth though, take it or leave it.
Which is the truth? That you watched it, didn't watch it or watched half of it?

I enjoyed the film very much, although I know that Alan Moore hated it as much as the rehashing of his other work.
Old 04 December 2006, 03:20 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Hated it more if you talk to him.

The truth is as stated.

Quick Reply: V for Vendetta - Glimpse into the future perhaps?