Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone into rock / indoor wall climbing?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2006, 03:28 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone into rock / indoor wall climbing?

I'm thinking of doing an indoor beginners course down in Leics as I've always fancied a go at rock climbing.

Anyone else into it? Any tips for a complete beginner?

Neil
Old 03 December 2006, 04:39 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

I go regularly and you get all sorts doing it from the hardcore shirts off 7A and up climbers to people working on the same boldering problem for ages.

Do you know what kit they give you when you learn and what the outcome of the course is? Also are you going on your own or with someone?

The only reason I ask is that the correct shoes make all the difference you will be amazed what you can stand on with the correct footware. They are supposed to be tight but the technology is vastly improved so you shouldn't wear a pair that feels like your feet are in a vice!

If you go with someone else that enjoys it as well then you will have someone to go climbing with when you pass the safety test that I presume they will have to allow you to climb unsupervised. Its good to have a regular climbing partner as you build up confidence and ability together .

Secondly if like me you have a healthy respect for hights coming down can be worse than going up the first few times.

You will be told all this I am sure but make sure you let go of the wall comletely with your hands and lean back almost 80-90 degrees to the wall (obviously not if its overhanging )otherwise if you slip you end up with a face full of the wall which is not pleasent!

oh and wear loose fitting clothes as you don't want them to rip at the wrong moment!

Other than that have fun! Its well worth giving it a go

Andy

Last edited by 106rallye; 03 December 2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03 December 2006, 05:11 PM
///\oo/\\\
Scooby Regular

Location: Infractions - Scoobynet's version of the "scamera" van

Originally Posted by 106rallye
I go regularly and you get all sorts doing it from the hardcore shirts off 7A and up climbers to people working on the same boldering problem for ages.

Do you know what kit they give you when you learn and what the outcome of the course is? Also are you going on your own or with someone?

The only reason I ask is that the correct shoes make all the difference you will be amazed what you can stand on with the correct footware. They are supposed to be tight but the technology is vastly improved so you shouldn't wear a pair that feels like your feet are in a vice!

If you go with someone else that enjoys it as well then you will have someone to go climbing with when you pass the safety test that I presume they will have to allow you to climb unsupervised. Its good to have a regular climbing partner as you build up confidence and ability together .

Secondly if like me you have a healthy respect for hights coming down can be worse than going up the first few times.

You will be told all this I am sure but make sure you let go of the wall comletely with your hands and lean back almost 80-90 degrees to the wall (obviously not if its overhanging )otherwise if you slip you end up with a face full of the wall which is not pleasent!

oh and wear loose fitting clothes as you don't want them to rip at the wrong moment!

Other than that have fun! Its well worth giving it a go

Andy

Yup, agree with all that.

Also helps if you have good upper body strength - helps enormously if you can manoever with hand grip only when you can't get a good foothold.
Old 03 December 2006, 06:11 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Trust your rope and harness, I have rock climbed both indoors and outdoors for the last 15 years and work as a tree surgeon now as well so spend alot of time on the end of a rope. If you don't trust your rope, harness and belayer then you will spend more time worrying about falling then climbing and you will not enjoy it.

In all honesty the best way to trust the gear is to get say 12-15 feet off the ground and just let go or jump and allow the belayer to prove you are going no-where.

Also as stated above if you climb in trainers you will really struggle, if you have to wear trainers something like the adidas ones with the goodyear replica soles (small thin soled trainers) done up tight will help.

Kev
Old 04 December 2006, 01:25 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

thanks for the info, I cant get myself on a beginners course until feb, so got a bit of time to save up some £££ for some shoes

cheers

Neil
Old 04 December 2006, 03:43 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same boat as you NeilT. Wanted to do it for a while then found out on sat that one of my good mates has been wanting to do the same so were starting together