Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BBC1 10 o'clock news

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2006, 10:01 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation BBC1 10 o'clock news

Exclusive report on why we WILL be paying per mile for our roads.
Old 30 November 2006, 10:03 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

don't drive between 11pm-6am.... £1 a mile!!!!

drink up boyz.... last orders. first one home saves a packet!!
Old 30 November 2006, 10:10 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Default Unbelievable.

Apparently any tentative mag-lev trains are to be shelved, in favour of bicycle lanes?

And Rod Eddington, the author of the report and ex head of British Airways, wants to expand hub airports, like Heathrow, and curb expansion of lo-cost holiday airports like Gatwick and Stansted.

Now, where are BA's most profitable routes? Yep, from Heathrow. Ryanairs base? Stansted! Easyjets? Gatwick! Well that all seems fair doesnt it!
Old 01 December 2006, 09:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Only Lying Labour would appoint a tosser like that to look into road pricing.

Apparently they want to raise £28 BILLION a year...........and spend it on railways, (aye, right) and buses.

No difference there then. Road tax and fuel tax aren't spent on roads either.

FFS. WE HAVE TO have this lot OUT at the next election.

Alcazar
Old 01 December 2006, 10:23 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The amount of money it'll cost to administer the system will surely wipe out any monetary gains they get from it.
Old 01 December 2006, 11:25 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Its a complete joke. The roads are basically going to be for the rich and company vehicles.
Old 01 December 2006, 11:33 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Should have announced that yesterday when the whole nation was feeling upset about the headline news....
Old 01 December 2006, 11:35 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think we all know why they are doing it. They are quick to mention the £28 billion which they expect to coin out of our pockets so that must be the primary reason for it all.

Les
Old 01 December 2006, 11:47 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Why cut congestion if there will be no-one driving anymore? As for cutting carbon emissions, don't get me started on the complete bollocks that is "global warming", which doesn't even exist!!

For car enthusiasts like us this will be a nightmare, all they talk about is "travelling around Britain", i.e. from A to B, they don't understand that some of us drive for pleasure!!

I imagine in 10 years time it will be utterly intollerable to live in the UK, better start planning the move abroad now. The UK will end up like "Escape from New York" a prison island where all the chavs and scum live!!
Old 01 December 2006, 11:48 AM
sockpuppet
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Alcazar

Too late for all that.

Anyway everyone on this performance car forum fully supports Gordon Brown and admires him as a peoples' hero.
Old 01 December 2006, 11:59 AM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver

I imagine in 10 years time it will be utterly intollerable to live in the UK, better start planning the move abroad now. The UK will end up like "Escape from New York" a prison island where all the chavs and scum live!!
10 years time? It has happened already you just haven't realised it. I'd never live in that scum hole ever again.

Meanwhile when I do visit the UK it will be in my foreign registered car and 2 fingers to road pricing, speed cameras, parking tickets or any of that ****.
Old 01 December 2006, 12:07 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

How will they enforce it though???

We pay a huge amount in fuel tax, then road tax and now they want us to do this?!?!?!?

Old 01 December 2006, 12:09 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Alcazar
That won't make any difference, the Tories are in favour of it as well. The £28bn income will far outweigh the cost to implement it, apparantly. This press release looks like typical government tactics : release details of a policy that will get the nation in uproar, then introduce a slightly watered down version of it so the public thinks its getting a good deal.
What they seem to have failed to take into account is that increases in transport costs have a direct effect on the goods we all buy, which will more than likely result in a sharp increase in inflation and all the economic grief that comes with it.
Old 01 December 2006, 12:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

So, based on this, plus the other taxes I have to pay, this will mean I have no money at all to buy anything else, 300 + miles a week at a quid a mile would wipe out almost half my take home pay, the rest would go on Council Tax at about 45 quid a week so out of the remaining 200/300 quid I would have to feed, provide shelter, clothing and everything else for a family of 5, er it doesnt go, I for one would jack in work and go onto benefits until I could get a job I could walk to, until they tax that then I will stay at home and w*nk all day.

My wife always said that if they tax that I will be a high rate taxpayer.

They need think of other measures, its like Iraq, every thing is answered shooting it, over here they just tax it to death !
Old 01 December 2006, 12:18 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Only Lying Labour would appoint a tosser like that to look into road pricing.

Apparently they want to raise £28 BILLION a year...........and spend it on railways, (aye, right) and buses.

No difference there then. Road tax and fuel tax aren't spent on roads either.

Alcazar
Thing that worries me is that the major parties will agree on this ! There we all are ~ completely disenfranchised !!
Old 01 December 2006, 12:26 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torpid

Meanwhile when I do visit the UK it will be in my foreign registered car and 2 fingers to road pricing, speed cameras, parking tickets or any of that ****.
I can remember meeting a German pal, who was staying short term in Edinburgh city centre. I pointed out the fact that he had 4 parking tickets on his car, at which point he smiled and said " Ja, but zey think I'm a holidaymaker from Dusseldorf !"

(Of course thses days it would be towed )
Old 01 December 2006, 12:30 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

It'll affect everything. Deliveries to shops, postal service, etc. Costs of everything will have to rise, businesses will fold as not always viable to allow working from home.

The rich will drive when and where they want, middle and lower income families will adjust, benefit fraud/claims will go up as it becomes uneconomical to work, etc.

Maybe time to invest in tin-foil manufacturers so that when the black boxes ARE fitted to the cars, the signal can be easily blocked......
Old 01 December 2006, 12:32 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Have they considered the effect it will have on inflation? Companies will have to charge more to cover the extra costs that they and their employees pay in the course of business. Wage claims are likely to rise too so that we can keep a comparable standard of living. The UK will become an uncompetitive place to do business. My Company employes over 10,000 people in the UK, I think this could see some of the less competitive sections moving abroad. Other EU countries are not doing this, nor the damn ID cards......................
Old 01 December 2006, 12:37 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
Have they considered the effect it will have on inflation? Companies will have to charge more to cover the extra costs that they and their employees pay in the course of business. Wage claims are likely to rise too so that we can keep a comparable standard of living. The UK will become an uncompetitive place to do business. My Company employes over 10,000 people in the UK, I think this could see some of the less competitive sections moving abroad. Other EU countries are not doing this, nor the damn ID cards......................
A good point here - especially given that part of the idea is that it will protect our economy by reducing congestion ! By increasing companies' transport costs ultimately it will have a negative effect on the UK economy.
Old 01 December 2006, 12:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

We already pay via Fuel tax and Road Tax (plus all the others)

What will happen is that we will all get up in arms about it and then they will water it down and we will breathe a sigh of relief when its only going to cost another tenner a day, they are setting our expectations to make themselves seem benevolent when they introduce the actual plan.

There is a point at which you cannot tax the population any more without a revolt of some sort.
Old 01 December 2006, 01:01 PM
ChrisB

Originally Posted by r32
Indeed. The company I work for has ~20 staff, the majority of which are out and about, visiting customers. We've got customers from Kent to Taunton to Scotland. Say an engineer does 300 miles and the average charge is 50p/mile. That's either £150 of extra overheads we either suck on or try to pass on to the customer, who I suspect will politely decline.

The other question I haven't seen answered anywhere yet... if road charging comes in, will other motoring related taxes be reduced? Fuel duty, road tax etc. I suspect the answer will be "no" as it's just another excuse to tear the **** of us with more taxes.
Old 01 December 2006, 01:16 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

This is just a joke - we pay enough for using our roads as is.... road tax, fuel costs... robbing *******s
Old 01 December 2006, 01:21 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They are running out of ways to tax us, so they are using the pretense that these "green taxes" are to save the world when in fact they are just to try and slow down the sinking of the UK economy.
Old 01 December 2006, 01:24 PM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
I can remember meeting a German pal, who was staying short term in Edinburgh city centre. I pointed out the fact that he had 4 parking tickets on his car, at which point he smiled and said " Ja, but zey think I'm a holidaymaker from Dusseldorf !"

(Of course thses days it would be towed )
Mostly though they just stick a ticket on the car which then goes straight in the bin. Never hear anything about speed camera flashes either and even if I did I don't hold a UK licence anymore so there is sod all they can do. Likewise congestion charge although I do believe they are having a go at reclaiming that. Good luck to them taking me to court in a foreign country.
Old 01 December 2006, 03:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Torpid
Mostly though they just stick a ticket on the car which then goes straight in the bin. Never hear anything about speed camera flashes either and even if I did I don't hold a UK licence anymore so there is sod all they can do. Likewise congestion charge although I do believe they are having a go at reclaiming that. Good luck to them taking me to court in a foreign country.
OK for now, but if you live an EC country, look out for the legislation that will require other governments to chase THEIR citizens for fines incurred in a foreign country.

It's being looked at as I type......

Alcazar
Old 01 December 2006, 03:44 PM
Jonno_johnson
Scooby Regular

Its the mothers taking and picking kids up from school they want to ban, whenever the kids are on school holidays here, the trafic at rush hour is more than halfed, making for a swift journey home.
Old 01 December 2006, 03:54 PM
Spring Heeled Jack
Scooby Regular

Location: was he a creature, an alien, or a man wearing some strange costume and a hidden jumping apparatus
Thumbs down

An American colleague asked today "What is it with this country and taxing everything? When are you guys going to have your Boston tea party?"

No taxation without representation - this was never in any manifesto and is certainly not acceptable.

Time we too had a government of, by and for the people. Get out Tony/Gordon and the rest, and give us our democracy back.

Quick Reply: BBC1 10 o'clock news