Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay- sending to usa to an unconfirmed address?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2006, 08:34 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay- sending to usa to an unconfirmed address?

I had an intercooler for sale on ebay, which stated that I was only prepared to ship to the UK. A guy from California won the auction, but failed to notice this.

At first I agreed to get a quotation for delivery.
They came out as £40 with an 8week delivery time with no insurance, or £60 with a 5 day delivery time and insurance.
I emailed this info to the buyer and within minutes he had paid the full cost of the intercooler + the £40 slow delivery. Fine I thought.
Then, when I checked the info on Paypal, I noticed that he wanted it shipped to an unconfirmed address, which means that I am ineligible for payment protection. (Basically charge backs from the bank if the funds turn out to be fraudulent.)

Problem is that if I send back the money now, I could still be clobbered with a charge back 3 months down the line and will be over £100 out of pocket.

The buyers feedback looks ok, but I have just got a funny feeling about this one.

What would you do?

Here is the guys feedback.

eBay Member Profile for mr-bash
Old 28 November 2006, 09:06 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

If in doubt walk away. Tell him you are only able to ship to a confirmed address because of seller protection.

Not quite sure what you mean you can be clobbered with a charge back three months down the line? If you refund the money then thats the end of that. You can claim your final value fee as the seller did not meet requirements; likewise you can deal with any neg feedback received in the same way.

Hope this helps,
Simon
Old 28 November 2006, 09:09 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Just to add- intercoolers are easy enough to come by in the US, and the account you've shown has relatively little recent activity- so I'd be inclined to show extreme caution.

Goofbay
Old 28 November 2006, 09:11 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Well, the guy has sent me the money. If I send it back, and it turns out that the original payment was fraudulent, will paypal then try and take that money from my account? I havn't actually transferred the money into my bank account yet, paypal still has it. Could I just send that money back and that be the end of it?
Old 28 November 2006, 09:18 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

yeah just give him a refund stating you was only going to ship to uk addresses only
Old 28 November 2006, 09:18 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I don't think thats too much of an issue Chris- when you return the money it goes back to where it came from.

Once you've refunded the money then that's that. If someone has control of the account fraudulantly and withdraws the money then that would be a matter for the US authorities and none of your concern IMH (but educated) O.
Old 28 November 2006, 09:20 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Just to add (again) Paypal will refund the commision part of the payment, just make sure you apply for a final valuation fee credit from ebay, stating that both parties agreed not to complete the sale.