Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2006, 02:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Iraq WTF ?

Every day I hear the following headline or variation on the news,

'MARKET BOMB BLAST KILLS ### IN BAGDAD'

Yesterdays was a biggie I realise that but almost every day something with the Enormity of the London Bombings happens, what is going on, Soldiers killing civillians and vice-versa, civilians killing each other ?

I can understand why they perhaps want to blow soldiers up but why each other, what is it with them that their only answer to any given situation seems to be shoot it, blow it up or hack its head of with a bread knife ?

To be honest if I were an Iraqi, internet ordering would seem a lot more appealing than nipping down to the market, saying that I wouldn't fancy receiving packages either, even if the package didnt blow up the postman might, what a f*ckin mess.

Will it settle down if the troops get pulled out or will it get worse, I suspect that life was actually safer for most whilst Saddam was in power.
Old 24 November 2006, 02:17 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with you 100%. Its a mess, and I cannot understand the mentality of these people at all. Its just very very sad.
Old 24 November 2006, 02:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I think a lot more folk were being (are being?) killed in the Congo but, of course, that is of no interest to the West.

Then there's Mr Blair saying "We'll stay here (Afghanistan) until we defeat the Taliban". Foolish words. Have a word with Russia, Mr Blair.

A terrible mess all around.
Old 24 November 2006, 02:26 PM
jonnyh
Scooby Regular

A lot of it is down to Iranian sponsored insurgents. Getting their own back for the Iran / Iraq war.

Also some fundemental loonies and various 'turf' wars for control going on.

Its not a simple situation to sort out. Probably end up in full on civil war with Iraq ceasing to exist as we know it (split into new countries) with Iran taking the southern bit. Kurds in the north. And the middle bit split between Sunnies and Sheits (sp?).
Old 24 November 2006, 02:27 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

It's only going to get a lot worse over the coming months.

If one of the neighboring countries / political powers end up controlling it after we pull out - it'll really become a threat.
Old 24 November 2006, 05:20 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Strange how sunni and shia have lived peavefully side by side for centuries, yet as soon as the yanks get on the scene all hell breaks lose.
Old 24 November 2006, 07:42 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I guess is needed a mad despotic dictator like Saddam to keep it all in check before.

The insurgents are from smaller militant groups who have no chance of representation in a democratic country so it is in their interest to maintain chaos.

Trending Topics

Old 24 November 2006, 07:49 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Tragic about Sunni and Shia fighting.

I always liked their records.
Old 24 November 2006, 08:06 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Olly
Tragic about Sunni and Shia fighting.

I always liked their records.
Like these:

United We Stand

Cowboy's Work Is Never Done, A (George Bush)

Living In A House Divided

Chip
Old 24 November 2006, 08:22 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Violence breads Violence. I cant see and end to it certainly not while the US and we're threre.
Old 24 November 2006, 09:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Whos, they are blowing up bakeries now !
Old 24 November 2006, 10:12 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Whos, they are blowing up bakeries now !
Doh!

Old 25 November 2006, 07:00 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Good post Jacko

The Middle East has always been a turbulent place, for hundreds and thousands of years. The West has a history of ignorance and foolish (if well-meaning) meddling but at least Saddam understood the basic dynamics and, to a certain extent, kept a lid on it (apart from invading Iraq [8 years of war, millions dead], invading Kuwait, bombing Israel and slaughtering his own people ).

The fundamental driving forcing is pure, simple, hatred, and it's time we realsied this. Sunni Mulslims hate Shia Muslims, both hate Arab Christians, they all hate Jews and Americans (and British). Break it down further and you have Hamas and Hezbollah joisting for power (they are suposed to be on the same Muslim side) and that is just skimming the surface with a very superficial overview. Then you have national and territorial squabbles, the issue of oil, overlaid with political ambition and 1001 other complications. Oh, and I almost forgot Al Qaeda. And Afgahnistan, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia...

As a small example, I tried to get to grips with what the hell has been happening in the the Gaza Strip over the last few decades. My western mindset cannot make head or tail of it

Violence is a way of life, death is not an issue, and peace is simply not on any current Arab agenda. This is completely at odds with Western mentality and, I believe, at the heart of our difficulties. But an appreciation of this doens't bring us any closer to any solution we would find acceptable. Tragically, I cannot see any lasting peace before a period of civil slaughter the like of which we cannot concieve.

I've taken quite an interest in this mess recently, and tried to learn what's going on. I thought I had half an idea, then spent several weeks in the area (Israel) and realsied that, in fact, I don't have a clue. It is incredibly complex and I probably have about as much understanding as Bush and Blair, which is truly frightening.

Richard.

Last edited by Hoppy; 25 November 2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old 25 November 2006, 07:04 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

we need a global adblocker
Old 26 November 2006, 12:07 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Pull out, leave them to dust, heat, **** and buggering camels, cant say their contribution to the world is that great other than happening to sit on loads of oil, their only tv satirist was murdered last week for daring to say anything, too f*cked up for words and I dont think out prescence helps one iota so whats the point of sending our soldiers out there to get killed, what is the point of saving a place that cant even take a joke at its own expense, the lack of ability to see themselves from another veiwpoint kind of says to me that they are beyond redemption.
Old 26 November 2006, 12:48 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Jacko, I don't think we are there yet, but barring a miracle (there's nothing on the horizon) it's not far off. It's just a question of timing.

I think the question we face, is how do we get out, with least damage to the Iraqui people. This is a matter for our own concsience as I don't think the Iraquis couldn't really give a damn. We're just getting in the way of their own civil war right now, and getting killed for our efforts. But can we live with that? We are where we are and there's no turning the clock back.

The question for me is now can coalition forces position themselves so that the inevitabvle withdrawal does not back-fire on us in the future. We want freinds in the middle east. We went in to to do good we cannot pull out now when the situation is clearly worse, and when we will be held to blame for whatever follows.

Does anybody, on any side, have a plan for the future that does not inlude the deaths of hundreds of thousand of innocent coivilians?

Richard.
Old 26 November 2006, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its called civil war J4CKO. As you say, many Iraqis now think they were better off under SH. He at least was able to control the three factions but in a dreadfully brutal way.

It was obviously the height of stupidity to think that the West could impose their style of democracy on people who have been used to a feudal life up to now. Everyone else realised that-except the politicians. The present situation seems to be insoluble and the pity is the continual deaths of so many innocent people. What a legacy Billy and his idiot mate will have in the future..

Les
Old 26 November 2006, 10:24 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Good post Jacko

The Middle East has always been a turbulent place, for hundreds and thousands of years. The West has a history of ignorance and foolish (if well-meaning) meddling but at least Saddam understood the basic dynamics and, to a certain extent, kept a lid on it (apart from invading Iraq [8 years of war, millions dead], invading Kuwait, bombing Israel and slaughtering his own people ).

The fundamental driving forcing is pure, simple, hatred, and it's time we realsied this. Sunni Mulslims hate Shia Muslims, both hate Arab Christians, they all hate Jews and Americans (and British). Break it down further and you have Hamas and Hezbollah joisting for power (they are suposed to be on the same Muslim side) and that is just skimming the surface with a very superficial overview. Then you have national and territorial squabbles, the issue of oil, overlaid with political ambition and 1001 other complications. Oh, and I almost forgot Al Qaeda. And Afgahnistan, Pakistan, Russia, Saudi Arabia...

As a small example, I tried to get to grips with what the hell has been happening in the the Gaza Strip over the last few decades. My western mindset cannot make head or tail of it

Violence is a way of life, death is not an issue, and peace is simply not on any current Arab agenda. This is completely at odds with Western mentality and, I believe, at the heart of our difficulties. But an appreciation of this doens't bring us any closer to any solution we would find acceptable. Tragically, I cannot see any lasting peace before a period of civil slaughter the like of which we cannot concieve.

I've taken quite an interest in this mess recently, and tried to learn what's going on. I thought I had half an idea, then spent several weeks in the area (Israel) and realsied that, in fact, I don't have a clue. It is incredibly complex and I probably have about as much understanding as Bush and Blair, which is truly frightening.

Richard.
You indicate you have spent some time researching this. If you want to get a deeper understanding get a hold of "Spiral Dynamics" by Beck and Cowan.

This goes some way to explain how different groups interact. Beck and Cowan were key advisers to the last apartheid government and helped them create a way for dismantling apartheid and find a way forward for South Africa. The work they did had some success and help break a fundamentalist regime that had been in place for over a hundred years.

They are now working in the Middle East although this is clearly a hugely more difficult task as there are so many stakeholders, some of whom want to change and some who don't.

Spiral dynamis goes a long way to understand something at the core of the West-Middle East challenge, indeed we do work and think in a very different way that is explicable although not easily resolveable.

I don't think that hate is the key driver, it is fear in nations that have a feudal/tribal culture. Fear is a key element of being tribal. I also believe that little has changed for a thousand years - there are Muslims true to their faith and Muslims who are political extremists.

One of the leading Muslim scholars, Mowlana Jalaludin Mohamad, in the 1200s wrote: -

"We may know who we are or we may not.
We may be Muslims, Jews or Christians
but until our hearts
become the mould for every heart
we will see only our differences".

He also wrote: -

"Troubled by questions all of my life
like a madman I have been
knocking at the door.
It opened!
I had been knocking from the inside."

Rannoch

Last edited by Trout; 26 November 2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 26 November 2006, 10:28 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Too deep for me.
Old 26 November 2006, 10:32 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

The best thing that could happen to Iraq is the re-instatement of Saddam Hussein as head of state.

Of course the liberals will say "Ooooh, he's evil and killed some kurds" but I think if you take into account the cost and lives lost because of this total clusterfcuk by the the US aand the UK, then it would have been better to leave him in in the first place.
Old 26 November 2006, 10:38 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It will happen indirectly.

Troop withdrawal - sectarian civil war with new feudal leaders taking all or some of the prize.

Judeo-Christian values are not applicable as George Bush is finding out to his cost.

Rannoch
Old 26 November 2006, 10:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I scares me to think of the carnage when they actually execute Saddam.
Old 26 November 2006, 10:43 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
You indicate you have spent some time researching this. If you want to get a deeper understanding get a hold of "Spiral Dynamics" by Beck and Cowan.

This goes some way to explain how different groups interact. Beck and Cowan were key advisers to the last apartheid government and helped them create a way for dismantling apartheid and find a way forward for South Africa. The work they did had some success and help break a fundamentalist regime that had been in place for over a hundred years.

They are now working in the Middle East although this is clearly a hugely more difficult task as there are so many stakeholders, some of whom want to change and some who don't.

Spiral dynamis goes a long way to understand something at the core of the West-Middle East challenge, indeed we do work and think in a very different way that is explicable although not easily resolveable.

I don't think that hate is the key driver, it is fear in nations that have a feudal/tribal culture. Fear is a key element of being tribal. I also believe that little has changed for a thousand years - there are Muslims true to their faith and Muslims who are political extremists.

One of the leading Muslim scholars, Mowlana Jalaludin Mohamad, in the 1200s wrote: -

but until our hearts

knocking at the door.
It opened!

Rannoch
What a fantastic bit of reputation feedback.

For posting the above I get...

...wait for it...

..."********".

How eloquent

Rannoch

PS Perhaps you would like to add a post describing your understanding of Middle Eastern affairs?

Last edited by Trout; 26 November 2006 at 10:46 PM.
Old 27 November 2006, 01:06 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Good post Jacko

Richard.
Excellent post.

If you haven't already, have a look at Syriana
Old 27 November 2006, 01:10 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch

but until our hearts

knocking at the door.
It opened!

Rannoch