Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UFC :-)

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2006, 05:20 PM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UFC :-)

For those interested in MMA, did you see last nights welter weight bout - Hughes / St Pierre? What a fight! So glad that cocky farm boy got what has been coming for some time. A completely dominating performance from GSP. It's going to take a special fighter to beat him now.

Old 20 November 2006, 08:17 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...ntentions.html
Old 20 November 2006, 08:46 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Damn missed it, was looking forward to seeing that
Old 21 November 2006, 07:23 AM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
For those interested in MMA, did you see last nights welter weight bout - Hughes / St Pierre? What a fight! So glad that cocky farm boy got what has been coming for some time. A completely dominating performance from GSP. It's going to take a special fighter to beat him now.

Please please please tell me more. So glad GSP won.
Old 21 November 2006, 08:15 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

It was strange - very similar to Rich Franklin fight in that both him and Hughes were rather subdued before their fights and almost expected to lose.

Hughes only attempted to take GSP down once I recall which is where he dominates. He was lucky to survive the 1st rd being saved by the bell.

Kickboxing, Muay thai (sp?) / clinching with knees seems to be the weapon of choice with Silva, Vera and GSP showing some effective moves other than standard striking.

Tim Sylvia highlighted why I dont think he is a worthy champion. Totally boring performance as always just jabbing. Reminds me of last fight with Arlovski. He just waits for you to come to him. I hope Vera hands him his *** as at least hes worth watching.

Simon
Old 21 November 2006, 08:40 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slagmagnet69
Please please please tell me more. So glad GSP won.
Fight #9:
-Matt Hughes (c) vs. Georges St. Pierre (UFC WW Title)

Round 1: I'm too into this fight, I'll follow up with specifics as soon as it ends. Round one - ALL GSP. He hurt Hughes several times, almost finishing him as the horn sounded. Definitely 10-9, could even be argued 10-8. Hughes did pretty much nothing. 2 low blows from GSP, but they were leg kicks where the shin hit the thigh, but the foot hit the no-no zone.

Round 2: Round went the same, until it ended. GSP was destroying Hughes the whole round again, landed a huge high-kick, in a similar position as Chuck Liddell-Renato Sobral. Hughes was rocked and slumped to his back. GSP followed in with many clean punches. The referee let it go despite Hughes clearly being done already. GSP threw a few more punches and a couple of totally vicious elbows. Referee had no choice. New Welterweight champion, and he completely dominated the most established and respected champion in his weight class. At the same time, he avenged his only loss in his pro MMA career.

Georges St. Pierre def. Matt Hughes via KO (strikes) to capture the UFC Welterweight title at 1:25 of Round 2.

taken from MMANEWS.com
Old 21 November 2006, 10:14 AM
slagmagnet69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
Fight #9:
-Matt Hughes (c) vs. Georges St. Pierre (UFC WW Title)

Round 1: I'm too into this fight, I'll follow up with specifics as soon as it ends. Round one - ALL GSP. He hurt Hughes several times, almost finishing him as the horn sounded. Definitely 10-9, could even be argued 10-8. Hughes did pretty much nothing. 2 low blows from GSP, but they were leg kicks where the shin hit the thigh, but the foot hit the no-no zone.

Round 2: Round went the same, until it ended. GSP was destroying Hughes the whole round again, landed a huge high-kick, in a similar position as Chuck Liddell-Renato Sobral. Hughes was rocked and slumped to his back. GSP followed in with many clean punches. The referee let it go despite Hughes clearly being done already. GSP threw a few more punches and a couple of totally vicious elbows. Referee had no choice. New Welterweight champion, and he completely dominated the most established and respected champion in his weight class. At the same time, he avenged his only loss in his pro MMA career.

Georges St. Pierre def. Matt Hughes via KO (strikes) to capture the UFC Welterweight title at 1:25 of Round 2.

taken from MMANEWS.com
Cheers for that Rik, excellent news. I used to like Hughes but he came across as a tit and a bully on Ultimate fighter 4 and GSP seemed like a nice guy so I'm glad he won. Suprised he dominated Hughes in such a fashion tho'.

Hope I get to see it.
Old 21 November 2006, 10:59 AM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up
Hello guy's.. i dont know 2 much about this ufc stuff but i came home from work really l8 & i got a take away as i was doin over time & my wifey was fast asleep, i was goin thur my tv & came across that ufc show.. all i did was this guys...................

MAN THEM PEOPLE ARE CRAZY !!!!!

i did abit of research to see if anyone has ever dieded !

supricingly NO 1 HAS !
Old 21 November 2006, 10:59 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

AAAARGH!!! I got so fed up with Bravo's "coverage" that I switched off and went to bed (had had a very long day).

No joke, I turned off the TV at 10.35, and in those entire 35 minutes id seen one fight that lasted less than a single round!!!
The other 32 minutes was promos of the same thing over and over, and adverts, the coverage is terrible!!

UFC really need to look at changing the format of their shows, I know they like to fill up three hours, but to sit there watching run after run of the same promo stuff that takes up to 5 times longer than the actual fight is pointless, I wanted to stay up and watch the whole thing but they could have seriously made it one hour long, included the fights, with a bit of promo, and less adverts.

Ill have a look on youtube for the Hughes fight, I may just do that in future, not look at the results and download the actual fights.
Old 21 November 2006, 11:32 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SideShowBob
AAAARGH!!! I got so fed up with Bravo's "coverage" that I switched off and went to bed (had had a very long day).

No joke, I turned off the TV at 10.35, and in those entire 35 minutes id seen one fight that lasted less than a single round!!!
The other 32 minutes was promos of the same thing over and over, and adverts, the coverage is terrible!!

UFC really need to look at changing the format of their shows, I know they like to fill up three hours, but to sit there watching run after run of the same promo stuff that takes up to 5 times longer than the actual fight is pointless, I wanted to stay up and watch the whole thing but they could have seriously made it one hour long, included the fights, with a bit of promo, and less adverts.

Ill have a look on youtube for the Hughes fight, I may just do that in future, not look at the results and download the actual fights.
Yep agreed. I used to watch them live (well as live as they are over here) but got bored with the adverts and talking. Sky + it now and watch the next evening - probably takes just over an hour to watch it once you fast forward through the adverts and promos.

Was a good set of fights last night other than Sylvia v Monson - fast paced and lots of action rather than lying on top of each other doing nothing which was happening too much for my liking in previous UFC's.

Simon