Tattooists

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2006, 11:48 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tattooists

Is there any tattooist's here??

Ive thought for a while about becomming a tattooist and was wondering how to get into it anyone got a idea???
Old 20 November 2006, 12:00 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disfigure your own body .... but, please, don't inflict it on anyone else!

Do something useful ... train to REMOVE them.
Old 20 November 2006, 12:08 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

thats rich coming from a bloke who,s supposed profession is to inflict serious disfigurement on the enemy.

why should he become another method of draining valuable NHS cash.

If you want a tattoo you live with it for life.

mart
Old 20 November 2006, 12:35 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
thats rich coming from a bloke who,s supposed profession is to inflict serious disfigurement on the enemy.
mart
I am guessing - but, I think YOU would LIKE me to inflict MASSIVE damage on the state that has just wiped out your family???

Those who do, do ..... those who can't quite manage it search for jobs month in, month out - how's the job-hunting going by the way??
Old 20 November 2006, 05:06 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Disfigure your own body .... but, please, don't inflict it on anyone else!

Do something useful ... train to REMOVE them.
Pete . . As ever . . I would like to say I agree with you!

. . . .Tattoists are usually a bunch of misfits of questionable sexuality . . .What a bunch of right w*nkers!
Old 20 November 2006, 08:54 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thats a bit harsh .......

What makes me laugh is what people who have tattoos say .... "its because I'm an original"

Is it fooook ... you are just copying some other sad, lonely, mis-guided soul!

Those who can think for themselves DON'T ....... THEY are the originals - those with a tattoo are sheep (look at the sheep in the fields next time you are out - what do they have on them???? Thats right .... TATTOOS!!!!!)
Old 20 November 2006, 09:23 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

something I have always though why is tatto removal so difficult. Is it not possible to tattoo over the tattoo with skin coloured ink?
Old 20 November 2006, 11:26 AM
Tripple'O G
Scooby Regular

good luck to you mate....

The guy who does mine is a master.....he went over to Japan to learn it in it's totallity.....In the olden days they used to use a bamboo cain and flick it with the ink on the end.....

I'm sure there are places to learn as long as you have that artistic flair as there are too many that just use the "pre-made" designes....the real money is the ones who can be unique....and keep on producing....

As for people not liking them and the old cliche, "what will you look like when your 50 and on the beach"

I don't care, i'll look like I had a fun youth and by the time i'm 50 laser surgery will be on the NHS if needed....
Old 20 November 2006, 01:44 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

ive seen a programme called miami ink any of you watch it?? they are totally unique and thats the type of tattoos i want to do not something that everyone has, and i know my sexuality im completely straight it would be something i enjoy doing so not all tattoos are bad

miami ink is on tonight 9pm on discovery real time i think it is
Old 20 November 2006, 02:09 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Each to their own, but I wouldn't scar myself for life.

Robbie Williams and David Beckam are going to look back when they're in their 50's while looking in the Mirror seeing all the wrinkly tattoo's they've got, and ask themselves, Why?
Old 22 November 2006, 07:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tripple'O G
I don't care, i'll look like I had a fun youth and by the time i'm 50 laser surgery will be on the NHS if needed....
Sorry, but you will look like a right WALLY!!!

And, deep down, you KNOW it!

Laser Surgery? Maybe - but I, for one, will NOT be paying for you to have removed something that makes you look a pratt - YOU will fund 150% of the cost!! ... The 50% is to pay for my Zimmer Frame enhancement!
Old 22 November 2006, 08:42 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

i wont be paying for your zimmer frame enhancement i'll break your legs first
i know loads of older people who have tattoos and that are quite happy with them put discovery real time on at 10pm and watch miami ink and see if that changes your mind about tattoos.
Old 22 November 2006, 09:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmm, and I know LOADS of older people who are DEVASTATED that they were such idiots when younger ....... I actually have NEVER met an older person (over 50) who thinks it was a good idea!!
Old 23 November 2006, 05:50 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmm, and I know LOADS of older people who are DEVASTATED that they were such idiots when younger ....... I actually have NEVER met an older person (over 50) who thinks it was a good idea!!
Pete, if I were you, I'd be devastated, whether I was covered in ink or not!
Old 23 November 2006, 06:02 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I work with a guy who does a bit of tattoo-ing (sic) as a sideline. He is just a naturally gifted artist, and has a portfolio of amazing work. He uses disposable needles, so he's not got a big set up, and as far as I can tell, he has had no formal training. Not sure who the first person was to let him practise!!!

Have you tried google or wikipedia? There must be a network of people and some form of recognised training.

I had a completely original tattoo done about six years ago. The funny thing was, I saw a review in a lifestyle section of The Evening Standard, or something similar, about a temporary tattooist in Camden. The theory was that the ink only went through one or two layers, and not the third, which was the "permanent" layer, and it would grow out / fade after about three years, much like the methods used to apply "perma-make-up", I believe.

Funnily enough it's still there, as strong as the day it was done, but the tattooist no longer has the shop in Camden. When it said temporary tattooist, I think it was refering to her career!

Luckily I am very happy with it, as it is my wife's name in Farsi, which her Mum designed / wrote for us, and her Mum is no longer with us, so it's poignant, totally original, and on the beaches of Indonesia, Dubai etc etc it always get's a thumbs up!

Here are a couple of things from a quick google mate....

Tattoo Designer

Alliance of Professional Tattooists

Tattoo training and design course body percing and body art from Akasha LTD,

I would imagine it would be best as a hobby / sideline than as a lucrative career, especially as Becks is running out of skin......
Old 23 November 2006, 08:20 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephb1986
Is there any tattooist's here??

Ive thought for a while about becomming a tattooist and was wondering how to get into it anyone got a idea???
hi there. ive always been interested in the art of tattoos. whatever people like pslweis and wrx300man say, each to their own. im not gonna slate them as they have strong views, up to them on their opinions.

anyways, if you havent seen the threads i do a lot of drawing myself, currently commission etc, so have a talent (without trying to aound arrogant-apologies if i do ) and i looked into this line of work when i was younger, round 18 after completing a GNVQ advanced art and design course at college.

as i was then getting tattoos done of my own designs by an excellent tattooist in s****horpe, i got talking to him about the profession. he told me he had started out as like a trainee like any other profession, but with a difference. if you have a natural drawing talent and a good eye for detail it helps, but a lot of tattooing is based on tracing ideas onto the person and inking over them. but as ive designed all my own tattoos costom work can herold more money, plus its something "original" or "one off" on yourself.

regards the traineeship, you find a tattooist of creditable history (not some back street screg) and try see whether they will take you under their wing. it will cost a fair amount, as you will need all the supplies of a pro. tatooist but without the money to start with. then its basically a learning curve with various qualifications/certificates on the way regarding health and safety, cleniness etc.

it can take around 2/3 years for a proper apprentiship if you learn well, and it could be a finacially hard time too, especially if you have a house kids etc. and the best bit, when your competant with a nedle and ink, you practise on yourself. so dont **** it up. you need to have practise on somebody, not something, so usually a tatooist will do it on themselves to gain an idea better of what the experience is like for those who they tattoo onto.

due to my situation when leaving college i didnt have the opportunity to take things further either with my idea of uni. to study transport design and engineering, or to become a tattooist. there is very good money to be made, but you have as said be a good drawer naturally, have lots of flair and ideas, and be very safe, clean, tidy. nobody wants to go get a tattoo done in a messy dirty little ****ty studio.

another reason why training with an established tattooist can help you no end. you gain all the knowledge and experiences, what to do, what not to do, and if they have a good reputation, and your their prodigy, it could give you a headstart in a possible career, or even a partnership with said tattooist.

if your seriously interested in this, go into a decent tattooist's studio and speak to them personally about the ideas you have. as said above my financial situation meant i couldnt further my ideas, but i still do the odd design here and there, and theres about 10 people round scunny with my original one off tattoos on them.

hope that helps. pm me if you want any more info. i have a couple of websites i used to visit too regarding tattooisst etc, but cant really paste a link on here as there are some strong images on there...

The theory was that the ink only went through one or two layers, and not the third, which was the "permanent" layer, and it would grow out / fade after about three years, much like the methods used to apply "perma-make-up", I believe.
from what ive learnt and was told, there is two thin layers of clear skin on top of a third layer, which then becomes flesh iirc. the tattoo needle penetrates these two layers of clear skin in the same way a sewing machine works, by stabbing the third layer 1000s of times a minute. the ink then lies on the third more tender layer of skin and changes the pigment colour to whatever ink colour is being used. this is why some more natural lighter colours like white or yellow fade easily after time or need touching up. a temporary tattoo doesnt delve as far into the skin hence it fades away after a while. positives on this mean its not forever and isnt a permanent scare. negatives however are your paying for something that wont be there forever in most cases, and as its fading it will start to look ****.

when people go on about laser removal i dont see the point unless something is infected, which can happen from a natural reaction, not necessarily bacterial infection. if i was to see my tattoos i have now in 30 years, i may just pay to have new designs put on top, depending howw wrinkly my skin gets. some people dont batter an eyelid when having work done, then regret it years later. i have thought deep and precise about all 6 of my pieces of art, what they mean to me and what they will look like in the fututre. so again its personal preference, some like tattoos, some dont, but id never get them done as a fashion statement or to look cool.

andy

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 23 November 2006 at 08:32 AM.
Old 23 November 2006, 08:27 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
I had a completely original tattoo done about six years ago. ......
What was it??

An Anchor ...... with a BIG 'W' above it??
Old 23 November 2006, 08:50 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

First get a job in a mortuary, working the night shift, then get lots of practice perfecting your art and no ******** the warm ones!

Andy
Old 23 November 2006, 12:58 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

What was it??

An Anchor ...... with a BIG 'W' above it??
I now know why your dissapointed with your tattoos because you have one on your forehead saying *****

if you havent got anything nice to say dont say it!

thanks to everyone else whos made the effort to help me out its just a shame people like that ***** think that they are clever slating someone elses dreams
Old 23 November 2006, 01:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I now know why your dissapointed with your tattoos because you have one on your forehead saying *****

thanks to everyone else whos made the effort to help me out its just a shame people like that ***** think that they are clever slating someone elses dreams
ignore him, he misses his tablets sometimes. and his rent-a-bride
Old 23 November 2006, 01:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

OH, right, OK then - I'll try
Old 23 November 2006, 01:07 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Pete,

You've always struck me as the sort of person that would have L and R tattooed on the backs of your hands...
Old 23 November 2006, 01:09 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Pete,

You've always struck me as the sort of person that would have L and R tattooed on the backs of your hands...
but because he's dyslexic they are on the wrong hands lmao
Old 23 November 2006, 01:10 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Thats true ... mine stand for RIGHT and LEFT

Yours, on the other hand, stands for RIGHT LOSER
Old 23 November 2006, 01:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

but because he's dyslexic they are on the wrong hands lmao
Don't tell me ..... your legs are tattooed LEGS, your arms ARMS, and your head .. EMPTY!!

Old 23 November 2006, 01:15 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

ive seen a programme called miami ink any of you watch it?? they are totally unique and thats the type of tattoos i want to do not something that everyone has, and i know my sexuality im completely straight it would be something i enjoy doing so not all tattoos are bad

miami ink is on tonight 9pm on discovery real time i think it is
I don't have any tattoos and not really interested in them. I do really like watching Miami Ink though. Think its a good program.
Old 23 November 2006, 01:17 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Thats true ... mine stand for RIGHT and LEFT

Yours, on the other hand, stands for RIGHT LOSER
Good comeback so seeing as you have just admitted to having tattos, I was wondering where you had them done?
Old 23 November 2006, 01:33 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Good comeback so seeing as you have just admitted to having tattos, I was wondering where you had them done?
Old 23 November 2006, 05:17 PM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Don't tell me ..... your legs are tattooed LEGS, your arms ARMS, and your head .. EMPTY!!

I'll give you that one old timer! nah i dont need them im quite clever for my age. but if my head is empty it means yours it just full of useless ****
Old 23 November 2006, 05:58 PM
k.b
Scooby Regular

my mate has one done by an apprentice and on sunday is about to begin what will turn out to be a japanese style half sleve on his leg which is going to take about 6 months or more.because the guy is still learning(and apparently he is quite good already) my mate is getting this done entirely for free!that would be the downside to learning,very labour intensive for no reward other than a picture to put in your portfolio.no money towards supplies etc.

however once you are fully trained and can start charging then you could easily be making a good deal of money.the place i got mine done in edinburgh charges £25 minimum.that could be for anything such as a tiny little star that will take 10 minutes.i think the rate after that is somewhere along the lines of £40 per hour or whatever the tattooist decides really.

there is a studio in edinburgh called spaceys bizarre ink and the owner was in posession of a very nice 360 spider the last time i checked.allegedly charges about £60ph so he must be making a fair amount.

try and find a reputable studio with someone willing to take you on(probably the hardest part of it all) and put in the effort from there.

Quick Reply: Tattooists